Democrat market rigging?

zigglewigler

Would the big democrat market players be ready to whip away the rug from under Bush? A timed sell off of stocks to force Wall Street down in the run up to the elections, would finish Bush. They'll want to take profits on this over-cooked market anyway, why not encourage it and bring down a president? Then a quick grab on the upswing.

Or am I too cynical?

Because the market is not just influenced by or made up of just Democrats there are just as many Republicans who would counter this in my view.

Paul

Definite balance of political power, but it just needs an organised move to tip the market, scare every small investor and the market tanks. Not sure a republican response could be organised to react in time. Do you accept market rigging or believe it's a conspiracy theory? Such as computer program trades thru 02 moving Wall Street in late day trade.

I think market rigging is the opposite of what you suggest. The big money is backing the Republicans (tax cuts, oil money, defence companies, etc). Also, with America's looming demographic problems (see Greenspan's last speech), it is in evryone's interest to have a rising market. Wouldn't be surprised it the authorities have been supporting the markets over the years.

Yes, rigging goes both ways, it's hard to understand how Wall Street is now so close to the levels from which it collapsed in 2000, based on an economy that is running on the gas of liquidity supplied by Greenspan, inflating economies this way always ends in disaster, this bubble just needs a pin. The US economy isn't growing if you take out defence spending and tax rebates, but the US media is biased towards Whitehouse spin. Why else have the jobless cues gone up by 2.5 million since the so-called end of recession? Not a recovery by the usual definition. But I suppose it's different this time, like it was 1999 into 2000.

US consumers can't keep America afloat for ever. You can't spend your way to prosperity. I read a scary figure today, US GDP is 70% consumer spending!!

Sure it's in everyone's interest to have rising markets, but you don't always get want you want. The market is rising simply because investors wanted themselves a bull run, I can't see a genuine reason for this rise. It's interesting to note how Japan had these types of rises after it's own collapse in 1990, I say the bear is still playing with everybody.

Hard commoditiy prices shooting up, will cause further inflation ontop of price inflation experienced because of the sliding dollar. Inflation will rise quickly from nowhere, up come interest rates and down goes the US economy. I don't think the smart money is so naive as to believe it is possible to keep this bubble growing.

There was alot of insider selling last year. Big money makes money both ways, and they will know that this market needs taking down. SP500 p/e ratio in March 2000 was 29 point something, today it's 29 point something! It's ripe for a bit of political manipulation.

Frankly I don't care what happens to the US economy in the coming months and years, it will do what it will do, and I'll be only too happy to profit from it, we'll get back to those big moves in the market, that went flat as soon as Iraq became 'important'.

I wouldn't bet against the market coming down sometime before November.

Well greenie is going to start raising rates in July/August.

The market wont rally between now and then because those
rises are getting closer and closer..

The market is in silly territory based on the Dow (with all it's faults), not the nasdaq or s&p. agree that the us is a tru mickey mouse economy and stockmarket that continues to grow based more on hope/confidence than reality. it would be foolish to ever understimate the american system, BUT one day, it's all gonna go pear-shaped.....