Dax vs ES....which futures do you prefer?

cd173

Afternoon everyone

Well this morning I found scalping the Dax a pain in the backside. No clear signals and lots of failed rallies...for me anyway....
Come the afternoon I keep an eye on the US....and so far a very choppy afternoon.......nice. :eek:
Out of lonely curiosity does anyone have a preference as to what to trade and when. I'm thinking DAX in the morning, ES in the afternoon.
Would that make life easier???? or are my signals just crap. :?:

All comments welcomed.

Cheers

Is that the time !

Have a look at the "No indicators" thread and those of "Skimbleshanks" our resident fluffy rabbit. :D

Seriously though, the posts are worth a close study.

I'd trade whichever has the largest comparative daily range.

Hi All

Is it better to look at range or rather min tick value?
As you know if the ES only ranges a couple of points, it's still around 8 ticks where if the DAX does the same it's only 4 ticks.
So which is the easier scalp??

Cheers

how many ticks are you scalping for? and whats you take from the trade vs stop?

Hi Jimmy1

I look to take as much as possible using trailing stops. I use stochastics and tighten the stops when the line begins to turn at the top or bottom. Usually can get out with 2+ points.
Sorry, but don't quite understand the second part of the question?

Regards
C

sorry i mean take as in do you go in for 2 ticks and risk losing 3 ticks etc?, i was looking to go in for half a tick do you think this is advisable?

Hi Jimmy1

First off, I'm no expert on futures so please take advice with a pinch of salt and try things for yourself.
I use a 2 and a half point stop loss, so 5 ticks. I use an IB frontend called ButtonTrader which allows easy order execution and target setting. I use a trailing stop of 4 ticks which moves with the peak.
If you mean half a point stop as in 1 tick on the DAX, well that is a no go as you'll find you will be stopped out all the time. You have to allow a couple ticks at least as the DAX whips around quite a bit. I scalp on a 1 min chart so 2 and a half ticks is just about ok for me.
What are you looking to trade anyway?

C

i used to trade the dax and the ftse in for 10 ticks and a 10 tick stop but soon got a stomach ulcer!!! moved onto euribor front months and this was alot more profitable and was more of my niche but it can get very boring i like the dancing dax and do not like the ftse!! i want t o try to get into the dax again and its good to get ideas etc i used to use stochs and cci parabolics on the dax but could not take 5 or 6 10 tick losses in a row it used to eat away at me... with a 1/2 tick profit basis on a 2 tick chart it seems like you can take very small bits out the market consistantly how long have you traded for? :LOL: