Dax Futures

aussiebris

I am interested in intraday trading the DAX futures.
Can someone give advice on educational material, software, indicators or any other information that would be helpful.
I currently use eSignals for my charting.
Any help would be appreciated.

aussiebris said:
I am interested in intraday trading the DAX futures.
Can someone give advice on educational material, software, indicators or any other information that would be helpful.
I currently use eSignals for my charting.
Any help would be appreciated.
Hi Aussieb..

I do a bit on the DAX. I also use Esignal. You'll need to subscribe to the EUREX feed and you'll need a direct access broker. I use IB.

The problem with the Esignal/IB combination (for me anyway) is that Esignal can't be configured to use the IB exchange feed and to trade the DAX effectively intra-day you do need live data in the IB TWS application as well (IMHO). My solution is to pay the exchange fees twice! Damn nuisance but I can't face learning another advanced charting and testing package from scratch again. Also, my system, as now configured and tweeked, is so damned complicated that I doubt I'd be able to duplicate it elswhere without an unacceptable further input of time away from actual trading. I understand that Ensign (available from Esignal at @ $30 per month I think) will use IB data, but can't comment on the package.

All in all I'm well satisfied with my combination. I also use some proprietory indicators. I arrived at them after long and tortuous experimentation and back-testing. Not exhaustive but enough to evolve a system and style that suits - and keeps me consistently ahead.

Have to say I do more on the mini-DOW than anything else (The hours suit). Also a bit more with the FTSE100 than DAX (and yes, I have to pay 2 x LIFFE fees as well).

Not sure what you mean by 'educational material' - relating to the DAX, futures or just general trading?
DAX contract info at http://www.eurexchange.com/products/FDAX.html
Good educational stuff on futures in general at: http://liffe.npsl.co.uk/liffe/site/login_new.acds?lang=en
General trading: T2W archives is a good place to start looking.

Might be worth starting a monthly DAX thread if there's enough interest as the futures contract has some interesting possibilities that might be worth exploring.

I do a bit on the DAX. I also use Esignal. You'll need to subscribe to the EUREX feed and you'll need a direct access broker. I use IB.

The problem with the Esignal/IB combination (for me anyway) is that Esignal can't be configured to use the IB exchange feed and to trade the DAX effectively intra-day you do need live data in the IB TWS application as well (IMHO). My solution is to pay the exchange fees twice! Damn nuisance but I can't face learning another advanced charting and testing package from scratch again. Also, my system, as now configured and tweeked, is so damned complicated that I doubt I'd be able to duplicate it elswhere without an unacceptable further input of time away from actual trading. I understand that Ensign (available from Esignal at @ $30 per month I think) will use IB data, but can't comment on the package.

All in all I'm well satisfied with my combination. I also use some proprietory indicators. I arrived at them after long and tortuous experimentation and back-testing. Not exhaustive but enough to evolve a system and style that suits - and keeps me consistently ahead.

Have to say I do more on the mini-DOW than anything else (The hours suit). Also a bit more with the FTSE100 than DAX (and yes, I have to pay 2 x LIFFE fees as well).

Not sure what you mean by 'educational material' - relating to the DAX, futures or just general trading?
Good educational stuff on futures in general at: http://liffe.npsl.co.uk/liffe/site/login_new.acds?lang=en

Might be worth starting a monthly DAX thread if there's enough interest as the futures contract has some interesting possibilities that might be worth exploring.[/QUOTE]

Thanks for your reply Peterpr

I guess I was trying to say what are some good indicators etc. that work with the DAX.
There is a lot of information on the S&P but little information that I can find on suitable indicators for the DAX futures.
I have opened a a/c with Velocity Futures & use the X-Trader platform.
I have been following it for some months, but find I need some more reliable indicators.

aussiebris

Might be worth starting a monthly DAX thread if there's enough interest as the futures contract has some interesting possibilities that might be worth exploring.[/QUOTE]

aussiebris said:
Thanks for your reply Peterpr
I guess I was trying to say what are some good indicators etc. that work with the DAX.
There is a lot of information on the S&P but little information that I can find on suitable indicators for the DAX futures.
I have opened a a/c with Velocity Futures & use the X-Trader platform.
I have been following it for some months, but find I need some more reliable indicators.
To be honest that is one reason why I do a bit on the DAX.. Less liquidity maybe - even than LIFFE's FTSE100 contract -but trades well technically. All the usual stuff really. There seems to be less rapid sweeping above and below median price to catch stops before worthwhile moves. Also less move 'faking'. There are no short cuts though. You need to watch it 'till your eyes pop out - over an extended period before expecting to make money at it.