Crude oil

Bramble,

No knowledge of the oil industry and I will not pretend I have but it will probably take a minimum of 5 years to get production online. Did you know that the rights belong to a company listed on the LSE. I came across the information a few weeks ago Fleet Street Publications were offering reduced subscriptions and one of the things they mentioned was this. However, in order to obtain the name, one had to subscribe which I was not prepared to do. Doubtless, some members know much more. The numbers are so huge that they are mind boggling.

The logistics involved in getting the oil out of the Falklands would be mind boggling. Also Argentina and the islands would have to make friends pretty quickly as the demand for storage, pipelines and refineries would be huge and I dont see how the islands could support it alone. Also Argentina would appreciate the extra money they'd get from the project as they have some financial markets long-term confidence building to deal with. Do yuo have any more details on this article or links to somewhere I could read up more about this?
Thanks
Minx

I do minx, but as it was sent to me as advertorial it might raise hackles given sensitivities (quite rightly) to advertising on these boards.

If I can find an 'OK' forum the mods might let me place it there.

One thing to be stressed, the Island have ALWAYS had a mutually friendly and commercially beneficial relationship with Argentina. They (the Islanders) were really not that fussed about the 'advance party'. The British govmt. was (well, Maggie was anyway).

Thanks, will Google for articles on the story. Also does anyone trade Brent on the IPE. Was just wondering what the speed is like for fills/confirmations. Interested to see if they're like NYBoT(utter rubbish) or Chicago (good).
Thanks

hey traders, that's exactly what i was talking about in my last threads, today i saw the news , eher we go:

DJ OIL FUTURES: Crude Retracing Gains, Supply Threats Ease

By Norval Scott

Of DOW JONES NEWSWIRES

LONDON (Dow Jones)--Crude oil futures in the U.S. and London markets
continued sliding in early trading Tuesday, as prices corrected from last
week's record highs.

The market is expecting crude and gasoline stock builds in Wednesday's U.S.
inventory report, and traders are adjusting their positions downwards on the
New York Mercantile Exchange ahead of the November light, sweet crude
contract's expiry Wednesday.

At 1100 GMT, the December Brent crude contract traded at London's
International Petroleum Exchange was down by 48 cents to $48.43 a barrel.
November IPE gasoil was down $6.25 at $462.00 a ton.

The December Brent contract remains capped by its $50.40/bbl high and is now
retracing lower, says Dow Jones' Chief Technical Analyst for Europe, Axel
Rudolph.

He said it is targeting the $47.55/bbl-$47.42/bbl support zone in days ahead,
and if this is breached then the next lower support zone between
$46.30/bbl-$46.00/bbl would be eyed. Resistance at $48.90/bbl should cap the
Brent crude price Tuesday.

The November light, sweet contract on Nymex is trading down 57 cents at
$53.09/bbl in Access trade, continuing Monday's fall, when the contract lost
$1.26/bbl.

Monday's price drop was prompted by liquidation of long gasoline positions,
brokers said, while profit-taking in a market seen as overbought and a 20%
increase in Nymex margins on back-month crude futures, which came into effect
Monday, were also viewed as contributory factors.

Winter fuel stocks are still the main issue at play in the market, and
Wednesday's U.S. inventory report will again be watched closely for any
evidence that the heating oil picture is improving.

In a survey of 12 analysts polled by Dow Jones Newswires, most expect a build
in crude and gasoline stocks, but a draw in distillates. Sky-high prices in
Europe are likely to continue to minimize imports to North America, meaning a
distillate stock build isn't likely, analysts say.

The analysts surveyed estimated an average commercial crude inventory rise of
1.7 million barrels for the week ended Oct. 15, marking the third increase in
as many weeks.

They predict a rise in refinery utilization rates of 1.1 percentage points to
88% of operable capacity, as well as a build in gasoline stocks of 380,000 bbl
to stand just above the U.S. government's Energy Information Administration's
five-year average.

However, distillate inventories, the real focus of market attention
currently, are expected to slide by 850,000 bbl, which would leave distillate
stocks 6.5% below the five-year average.

The lack of distillate builds has caused concerns ahead of what is predicted
to be a cold winter, triggering fears of more record-high prices.

However, supply-side disruptions have eased, says Simon Wardell, head of
energy at World Markets Research Centre.

"It's the first time I can remember that I looked at the news and didn't see
any new pressing threats to supply," he said.

"Gulf of Mexico supply is coming back after disruption, Yukos production
isn't going to stop, Iraq has died down a little recently and the Nigerian
general strike has passed over," he said.

"A lot of the recent price rise was based on what might happen, instead of
what will happen, and now that these possibilities haven't transpired we should
see prices ease," he said, adding that without further supply threats prices
should settle down to around $45/bbl.

-By Norval Scott, Dow Jones Newswires; +44 (0) 207-842- 9344;
[email protected]

note, i said that there's no shortage in supply about 2 days ago before it came out

NYMEX futures breaking out in 60m chart. We´ll probably get new highs in the next couple of days.

Brent Crude Chart??

I would appreciate any help in finding a free chart of the Brent Crude contract.

Futuresource lists this contract (LBC) but strangely has no data available either in quote or chart form.

Any ideas gratefully received? I'd trade the Light Oil US contract but Fins seem to have stopped offering quotes on US commodities.

Best regards

FN

fastnet said:
I would appreciate any help in finding a free chart of the Brent Crude contract.

Futuresource lists this contract (LBC) but strangely has no data available either in quote or chart form.

Any ideas gratefully received? I'd trade the Light Oil US contract but Fins seem to have stopped offering quotes on US commodities.

Best regards

FN

Hi Fastnet,

Try this: http://futures.tradingcharts.com/chart/BC/15

Should do the trick, I think Brent and UK commodities are lacking in the general area of charts and info, pity really.

Cheers

At support! Sideways or up - not a short candidate..

Attachments

• 0oil.png
    0oil.png
    22.2 KB · Views: 211
do not rely upon TA only!

maxpain, i wouldn't give suggestion that are based on technical analysis only. the thing that LION63 on 12/10/2004 said
The rise and rise in oil prices is structural and here to stay. On the way up there will be setbacks and profit taking (the fleet of foot will make a packet in either direction) but the days of cheap oil are confined to history. The worl oil supply is running out and demand is already exceeding supply, the worst is that production is set to peak next year and from then onwards it will be downhill. I do not expect to see Nymex below $35 again.

well, as you guys saw that last week Oil dropped 2 days in a row and each day was losing 2 to 3$, as numbers showed that Supply was enough, prices dropped all around the world, nobody needs it at this price now. and by the way, TA isnt everything in this business, you could see by a fake out move in CLF05 on 19/11/04 to 30/11/04, the same moves were in other energy markets...

then i said on 17/10/2004 that i was very bearish on Crude cos of the pattern that been repeated a few times
BARLI
nice threads! i agree with Dave T though. there's just a lot of panic which is good! just look at the chart of Crude:

i am still very bearish on it. as i said the target is around 30$, it might go lower. note that when i was posting my thread about oil and was being berish on it Oil was trading at 52.84 as of CLZ04 18/11/2004

have a nice trading! ;)

my second quote in the tread was
BARLI :
nice threads! i agree with Dave T though. there's just a lot of panic which is good! just look at the chart of Crude:
http://www.futuresource.com/charts/...EDIUM&b=bar&st=
pretty similar picture we can see in 2003 after the war in Iraq was aover crude declined from 40$ to 27$. what about 1990 the first war in Iraq? here's a monthly chart:
http://www.futuresource.com/charts/...EDIUM&b=bar&st=
reaching 41$ then falling to 18$. i agree that demand is strong but OPEC says there's no shortage in supply.

Crude Oil

Has any body any idea where this market is going? - after the last couple of weeks of shorts, is there a position for a long? some help please :eek:

I had 39.90 area as a potential low and it got close enough for me. Should see a 45 or 48 as next stop as far as im concerned.

Is the recent collapse really due to excess supply, the hot money heading for the exits, the mild winter or other factors? Anyone got any ideas or analysis that they would like to share with us?

Where is GotGold when you need him?

I hope Unleaded Gasoline isn't out of place on this thread. Cuz that's what I'm fixin' to yap about.

I've never really paid much attention to COT before, but look at this. Every time the funds and commercials get level or...or...uhm...Every time the blue squiggly line and the green squiggly line come close (or closer), or cross, the price goes up, even if just breifly. I drew some yellow lines pinpointing this.

Below, I also posted a daily chart with a resistance line and a highlighted area that looks like a reversal pattern to me. I'm considering buying, with that red line as a target.

Attachments

• hucot.GIF
    hucot.GIF
    50.2 KB · Views: 266
  • huda.GIF
    huda.GIF
    32.4 KB · Views: 270
Oops! I goofed. I went to buy Gasoline, but selected Crude Oil, instead! :LOL:

Oh, well...I can't really tell the two apart, anyway....Good enough.

Hey!... 1,000 barrels is easier to calculate than 42,000 gallons, ain't it !?

Hello gene, pretty interesting thread!
i saw you're using Futuresource Xtra real charts, is that right? if so tell me if you're satisfied with them. what trader are you?(day trader, short term-position trader, long term?) i am just currently looking for a good real time charts service, dont know what to choose. thanks in advance

from this Natural Gas chart, it looks like Commercials were losing money and Large Traders were making money from the market, i know that Commercials are usually early, but from this chart it looks like that they came out to be losers :eek:
http://www.freecotcharts.com/charts/NG.htm

Attachments

• NG.png
    NG.png
    17 KB · Views: 240
I subscribe to the FutureSource Xtra Plus Package for $20.00 per month. I love these charts. I'd feel I was trading blind without 'em. You can draw lines, highlights, apply text, use a vertical bar that moves with your cursor, or a cross-hair that moves with your cursor with data displayed for any point on the chart. You can shrink/ expand your chart both vertically and horizontally with extreme range both ways, you can move your chart up/down and left/right. With a click or two, you can choose daily, weelky, monthly, intra-day (type in however many minutes you want a bar to be. Choose bar, candlestick, line, or area plot, choose the colors of it all, it comes with a lot of studies, etc.

I get 10 minute delayed (30 minute for New York) snapshot. charts. I do not subscribe to real-time charts. That would cost quite a bit more, and then I would have to pay exchange fees to get real-time chart action. F--- that. I get real-time intra day charts for free from my broker. If they would give you exchange streaming data access included with the subscription, I'd pay up...some.

What kind of trader am I? I'm a fly-by the-seat-of-my-pants-trader. I start looking for markets that look great for position trading or swing trading.
(Somewhere I stated that I NEVER go long during a downtrend and NEVER sell short during an uptrend. That statement is incorrect. I wish I could remember where it is so I could correct it. More accurate would have been to use the words "generally don't" instead of "never".)
Once I enter a position, I closely watch market action. At that point, I may become a day trader/scalper (sorta), a swing trader, or remain a position trader, depending upon volitility, etc. I'm not very good at scalping the market. Many times, I would do better if I'd just stay in, but I'd rather be safe than sorry. Which is worse: "I lost", or "I could have made more"?

I rely most heavily on lines. Just simple lines. Support lines, resistance lines, channels. And some chart patterns. I look to the fundamentals to add/subtract validity to my "conclusions".

Plan? Yeah, I have a plan: Be flexible and be quick on my feet. Sometimes I have to remind myself: "Gene, BE AFRAID!"

(BTW: I get the feeling that DaveT is a far better trader than I am.)

Last edited: