Crude Oil Trading

I love trading brent and light oil and I have been quite profitable, HOWEVER , I do regard my trading style as wimpish because I only (religiously) trade certain time zones. I feel that if I traded when the yanks are awake , I would be annihilated!

Does any body do the same?
;)

Hello,

what do you think about this chart?

i have been trading Oil from some time profitable i have developed a simple strategy using two indicators and some MA, i´ve been able to pull 10-50 ticks daily,

please check and let me know, i would like to find some other oil traders.

Best Regards,

JDNeeman

Attachments

• oil trade chart.gif
    oil trade chart.gif
    34.7 KB · Views: 930
---Crude Oil Weekly P&F Technical Outlook.
...Crude Oil Maintains The Upside Bias.OPEC decision was so helpful for crude pushing it up to the top of the range that is expected to remain among it $80-$85, as the commodity is trading now around $84.66. But how long the upside momentum will last as the Greek elections at the door and no one knows how results will come. In fact, central bankers seem to be more mature than the market speculated before, as they stand ready to stabilize financial markets in a coordinated action to provide liquidity if the Greek elections on Sunday cause a mess in the market....[by oilngold]
05.png

Learn more! ↓↓↓
Code:
https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B9cvIxidsTjvQ2VmWU5xUk96alE/preview

I don't no about trading but in general market oil prices is rises so that is the profitable business.

I started scalping on OIL recently as it has smallest spread (1 cent) among other CFD and also I find it respecting more technical analysis (pivot point and fibo) more than currency, so unlike popular opinion it is actually easier to trade.

CRUDE OIL fell in Asian trade Thursday as supply concerns eased after Hurricane Isaac left production facilities in the US Gulf of Mexico relatively unscathed. Light sweet crude for delivery in October, shed 42 cents to $95.07 a barrel and Brent North Sea crude for October slid nine cents to $112.45. Supply concerns arising from damage to facilities in the US Gulf from Hurricane Isaac proved unfounded and depressed prices. The Gulf of Mexico is the hub of US offshore energy production, accounting for 23 percent of crude OIL output and 7.0 percent for natural gas. The Gulf coast’s facilities also have more than 40 percent of total US petroleum refining capacity and 30 percent of natural gas processing plant capacity.

Nice news report. But though 'TI was the world index for Crude- I think Brent is the real leader. ie Price changes in Brent set the outright price and everything else trades as a spread. TI is less and less relevant. In fact LLS in hte US is the more accurate marker when one thinks of oil fundamentals for the US. DOn't get me wrong, whilst the US consumes nearly 20mil bbl/day of hte world's 90mmbd the US fundamentals will always be important- just TI is more easliy "disconnected" due to the quirks about its delivery process.

U.S.CRUDE

U.S. October crude, up 2.7 percent for the week, rose 69 cents to settle at $99 a barrel. U.S. crude reached $100.42, its first time over $100 since May 4 when it touched $102.72.

The old adage that markets don't like confusion has to be ringing in folks' heads. After Fri euphoria a "mystery flash dump" hit Brent markets just before "the window" on Monday and those who thought profit taking was going to be the order of the day (ie weak length) exited yesterday, making for another weak day. A massive LCOx/n sell order (19000 lots) appeared yest and then dissappeared with not that much having traded. So flat price falls, spreads stay the same/strengthen and confusion reigns.

Crude Oil Weekly Technical Outlook
100 psychological level proved to be a difficult level for crude oil to break through. Last week’s sharp decline and break of 94.08 support indicates that rebound from 77.28 has finished at 100.42 already. Deeper decline should be seen in near term back to 61.8% retracement of 77.28 to 100.42 at 86.12 and possibly below. Though, we’d expect strong support ahead of 77.28 to contain downside. Another rally is anticipated for 110.55 after completing the current consolidation[Written by bontrade.org]
01.png

Attachments

• qm.png
    qm.png
    99.7 KB · Views: 535
Last picture! Really that the price will go down?
7.png

Hi MD, on the D1, H4, H1 there was inverse H&S and a key area of demand (BB for anyone who looks at NBT stuff) @8830. This was in a clear higher t/f DT so a possible trend reversal area. I do not see this as a clearly defined upttrend yet to look for trend reversals, but obviously we are looking at different charts.

Note though this is the 5th time back to the 9300 area in the last cpl of days, and if it breaks here then it looks likely to test the 9480-9530 level of res. I certainly will not be looking to fade at any moment soon, quite the contrary, a break around here & I will look for a long. Just my opinion obviously.

Hi guys, (sorry if im out of topic, appropriate redirects welcome)

Can anyone credit ICE education's Oil Trader Development Programme (or any other course on ICE)?

https://www.theice.com/EducationCourses.shtml?courseCalendar=

Are they worth the money or just superficial and expensive?

Thanks a lot,
Mihail

Hi Mihail,
no idea about the ice course, sorry. you can learn about futures & options for free on many places on the web, as too with strategies for trading oil.....which are similar to strategies for trading any of the major instruments (fx, equities, commods, FI et al). successful traders scalp, swing & position trade oil using tech analysis & fundamental analysis, just like any other market. looking at the course structure there looks to be a lot of fluff (eg "Forward curve analysis") which may or may not be of relevance & can be found using google, will take you longer but will be free.

also....
"MODULE 3: Hedging to Save Money

Strategy Workshop: End User, Producer, Utility, Physical trader scenarios

Case Study: Freight rate trading and hedging"

....I am not sure this has any relevance to retail traders? OK for knowledge, but will it help you trade any better? (unless you are loaded and want to trade physical, or want to trade for an energy company).

Do you know yet if you want to trade using FA, TA, or a bit of both (or neither)? What time frame? Do you know what type of instrument you want to trade - physical, futures, options etc? Why do you want to trade oil? You may find that the more volatile nature of the market doesn't suit you. Maybe you can ask the course director some questions prior to making a decision? (btw your post is better off in the "First steps" section).

Basically theres a lot to learn about trading which is generic across most instruments, imo i wld learn as much as i can for free online to get a view on what i want to trade and why (sorry if you have already done this), also looking at various trade journals on oil (i dont see many brent crude outright trading journals, mainly crude light) and if theres knowledge gaps which cannot be filled & which wld clearly improve my skills as a trader only then wld i consider looking into paying for a course. by then i wld hope to narrow down exactly what i need to learn - it wld be very specific, unlike this or most other courses. but the main gap i have found to be an obstacle in becoming a good trader is in experience (being mainly screentime for me) , which is always free, just v time consuming. All my opinion, of course.

And fyi, oil pricing is fixed (shock horror), so i wld be interested to hear what ICE have to say about Total's comments on the fixing, and how best ppl like you and me can position ourselves to make money out of a rigged market......

Total warns over ‘inaccurate’ benchmarks - FT.com

if the FT link requires you register heres another article...
LIBOR-gate Comes To Crude: Total Exposes Price Fixing In The Energy Market | ZeroHedge

g/l.

Last edited:
some possible CL plays in the short term, though not looking to short at the QM RS near here as been up here too often and hung around consolidating here......

Attachments

• Daily US Light Crude (Nov) (11-OCT-12) h&s.png
    Daily US Light Crude (Nov) (11-OCT-12) h&s.png
    24.2 KB · Views: 509
RSH01
By any chance do you trade Cl calnder spreads (NYMEX)? I am looking in to it and would like to exchange notes