Creating a bank and forex broker

roger123doger

Hi, does anyone know the process involved to create a bank and a forex broker (the bank will provide the trading processes for the broker)?

I've read that a bank takes ~$2,000,000 to start off with.

How much does a forex brokerage firm usually cost to start? How does one go about setting up the contracts between a bank and a forex broker?

I am looking for more information regarding a retail broker/bank combination or an ECN style broker

any help is greatly appreciated.

Rog; a "shotgun" answer to guide you:

*In the states? forget about it

*Offshore, it's possible, but wholly OTT. You will have to find a balance between a jurisdiction that is held in high regard and the reserve capitals. Bargain Bucket is $10m+ held in USD reserves, plus any funds that must remain "domiciled", for a banking license in a jurisdiction that will get you a meeting (but you might not make it to the pudding course) without them seeing you as simply high end retail. I should think at least $100m+ to be taken seriously (I'll explain why later).

*Have you even thought about the staff you'll need to run it? $750,000pa bare minimum for Legal + compliance (and you will need one), IT, "domiciled" staff, and someone to smooth the gaps. Not including real estate and facilities etc..

* Do you actually want to be a Bank? Basically BANK can accept deposits from the public, provide bank accounts, set up direct debits for BT, everything. This is probably way beyond the requirements for what you want to do - what many people think of as banks are actually brokerages or capital management firms, including some of the legacy names.

* Given that, forget about a banking license; look into a Capital management or Brokerage license.

* Even if you get the capital reserves, and a swish team of legislators to pull you through the application, the jurisdiction will still want to do their due diligence - ticking all the boxes isn't enough, you have to know what your doing and be able to prove it (and with due respect, if your asking strangers on the internet, you don't).

...* The real challenge you have is not the offshore jurisdiction, it is the banking community. Having a banking license is f*ck all use if nobody will deal with you; If you want to act as a legit FX broker, you will need to establish relationships with the "real" money - bear in mind that FX is still OTC, and if HSBC decide they don't like your haircut (or your jurisdiction), they don't have to sell you any Yen (even SPOT - forget about forwards). And you need pretty swish banking facilities (Swift and CHAPS (?) min) to deliver the currency to your clients, you can't really send it Western Union. And anyway, min. deal size is $100k, which is probably more than your clients are after.

*So, given that you can't really source or deliver any currency competitively, the next option would be to simply provide a "tradeable" price for speculation, a bit like NDF's across all pairs (??) and the FX trading most of us are familiar with; How are you going to hedge out your risk? You could hope that the sum of your counterparty positions sums to nil - that is, there are an equal number of long and short positions for any currency. Invariably it doesn't work this way (the "wobbly bridge" scenario); so you'll have to hedge it out with other houses, see above.

*Where are you going to get your prices from? If it's just you providing them, you are unlikely to attract customers (conflict of interest). You could try and build relationships with other houses, get access to their prices, and run them through an algo, on to your own clients - with two "sides" of spread (your end, and the houses' end); And you run the risk of getting "legged out" as you try to hedge a client trade with your bank (and i think that the price you'll get from your bank won't be the best price they are showing elsewhere anyway, you might even have to RFQ if your that small). And you have fees to pay.

The Offshore stuff I am pretty sure is accurate but I can't go into much more detail; the nitty gritty FX stuff specifically is not my department, but there are very knowledgable, wholesale, guys that might be kind enough to explain why you should give up the idea immediately. Being a BROKER is about VOLUME. You need to be competitive with prices to generate this volume, and to be competitive you need SIZE. The only realistic options you have are to become an Introducing Broker for an existing product in the marketplace, or become an SB firm. There is little space or tolerance, both in offshore jurisdictions and the Inter-bank market, for amateurs - especially considering the climate at the moment.

For a Forex broker you would need clearing services for your transactions. Several banks like Saxo offer this. Other jurisdictions offshore can hook you up with Chase JP Morgan.
Depending on the jurisdiction, you would need a company, a license if they offer one. Places like Belize have a deposit of 100K with the local Gov to issue a license for a financial operation. And you need a bank to accept third party funds. Now, that´s the tricky part. The bank/clearinhouse can take the deposits from the customers directly, but if you need to receive the money first and charge your fees, then the hunt for a bank account to accept third party funds is on.

Yea the regulation in the US is pretty strict and for good reason, the government doesn't want all these scams and frauds trying to set up shop. It's very hard to start a broker in this country, forgetting about the massive amount of capital required just to set the whole thing up.

It isn't as easy as raising a few million dollars - Either for a Banking, Capital management, Mutual Fund license, whatever jutisdiction you choose. Moreover, I echo my earlier point of the real issue being recognised - for operations on Europe, there is still MiFID etc... and some offshore jurisdictions are reluctant to life their skirts high enough to satisfy "on-shore" regulators...

(speaking from experience)

Why not just buy one, plenty going cheap now, Citi, HBOS :)
True
Forex & Stock Broker for Sale
http://www.businessesforsale.com/Forex-Stock-Broker-for-Sale.aspx

For a physical bank in the Bahamas: The procedure for obtaining a banking license includes a business plan, a personal interview and financial statements.
Banks in the Bahamas must be licensed under the Banks and Trust Companies Act 1965. The Central Bank of the Bahamas applies stiff criteria to incoming banks in order to exclude money laundering and criminal activity. Banks cannot use the Bahamian International Business Company form, and operate either as branches (usually representative offices) or subsidiaries, necessitating the formation of a Bahamian company under the Companies Act (see Forms of Company). The minimum capital requirement for a full, public banking licence is $2m; there are various categories of restricted license with lower requirements. For further details of licensing requirements and procedures and fees payable. You can show the 2MM through a Proof of Funds program, renting that amount for a few thousands a month since in the Bahamas the money can be deposited with a non govmt. bank. Unlike Belize, for example.

Hello

We are an offshore consultant working closely with few forex companies. We can provide you a Broker Trading platform, Trading server, website and a legal forex trading license.

Please contact us @ YourOwnBrokerage.com

Thank you

MrGecko,

are you still here? I saw your long and detailed posting to roger123doger. I have some more questions and it looks that you could answer those questions.

A New Zealand Financial Service Provider (FSP) is able to offer banking services worldwide. Registration for most Financial Service Providers (FSPs) becomes compulsory on 1 December 2010, after which date most FSPs must be registered to legally provide their services. The key objectives of the register are to:
Deposit taking & lending
Debit and credit card services
Issuing of financial guarantees and instruments
Cash management services
Current accounts
Cheque (Checking) accounts
Term deposits
Wire transfer services
Payment processing services