Conned - Hook line and Sinker - Confession time !

NVP

Guest Author
If you've been around enough the block enough and looked seriously at "Income opportunities" then you must have been conned at some point in your life :cool:

Heres a chance for some of the T2W old school here to confess about when they were'nt so sceptical and wary and share the tales that make them what they are today.........

hopefully in telling these stories it will help us push the message re avoiding such stuff like the plague.........

we've all been there.......I'll put one in shortly ........i'll start with Network Marketing and a surefire route to being a millionaire back in the late 80's

C'mon gang - 'Fess up ! :p

N

I think it's easy to say "I got scammed", but in my experience it's more the individual who scams himself. It's rare that you get genuinely scammed out of your money as, in most cases, it's more greed or plain inattention that gets you in hot water.

Anyway, a couple years ago I thought I had a good job opportunity, but in reality I was more excited at the "once in a lifetime" prospect than doing good DD. In fact, the interview I had raised a couple alarm bells, but my emotions just kept shoving those aside. It wasn't until a family member more or less skeptically asked "really?" (for short) that I finally looked into it more.

I saved myself some $4-5k. Learned a pretty good lesson there in that the scammer really doesn't need to do much; your emotions are doing his work for him! :mad:

I think it's easy to say "I got scammed", but in my experience it's more the individual who scams himself. It's rare that you get genuinely scammed out of your money as, in most cases, it's more greed or plain inattention that gets you in hot water.

Anyway, a couple years ago I thought I had a good job opportunity, but in reality I was more excited at the "once in a lifetime" prospect than doing good DD. In fact, the interview I had raised a couple alarm bells, but my emotions just kept shoving those aside. It wasn't until a family member more or less skeptically asked "really?" (for short) that I finally looked into it more.

I saved myself some $4-5k. Learned a pretty good lesson there in that the scammer really doesn't need to do much; your emotions are doing his work for him! :mad:

Name and shame.

Nah, it was a small local "business" around here that isn't relevant. I'm not even sure they're still around.

Conned seems a little harsh to be honest. I got ‘hooked’ into network marketing in the early 90s. Herbalife. The concept of network marketing is extremely sound and it’s got a bit of a bad name probably because so many shoddy products are shifted using its methods. My evangelical zeal was several factors greater than my skills as a salesman and 18 months after starting out, I took my remaining stock (which was not a lot less than my gross stock ordered) back to the warehouse and got my partial refund. A major loss on the deal, especially if you include time, travel, meetings, room hire etc. But it wasn’t the product, which was genuine and worked for me and many others, or the methods which are sound. It was my rubbish skills at transferring my genuine belief in the product into credible selling potential. Not all too good to be true opportunities are necessarily too good to be true.