Best Thread CMC Markets owner answers your questions

Status
Not open for further replies.
Peter, thanks for your reply. I take full responsibility for my comments I posted on the other thread, so please don't blame tar - he is as he says, only the messenger.

I don't believe I have misrepresented CMC, I have merely reported the facts as I see them (with my own personal opinion added in admittedly), and have supported my claims with the evidence in the other thread. As your statement shows, the charge is 56%.

Obviously you have a reason for applying a charge that large (you don't just charge ad-hoc without a reason), and I understand that you have applied the charge in accordance with a method that you've devised to replicate the differences between a 'cash' price and a futures price, but it's this method that raises the issues. 54% works out at (all roughly) $50 annualised, which over 2 months to Apr expiry is a premium of 8 or 9 dollars. Some days it might be that large, but I guess it's pretty unusual. I imagine the reason you've decided to go down this route is your business model. Rather than these costs being built in to the instrument itself, by devolving the futures price to a spot price it means you can pick up the financing charges in fees rather than them 'expiring' gradually over time within the contract. Not a bad idea. The trouble is it's more expensive for the customer! The customer ends up paying financing + 2 or 3% and varying costs of carriage (which in my case have been varying to the upside enormously) rather than a fixed cost determined at the level the trade was opened.

A separate issue is one of customer service. I did try to get an explanation from your team when I noticed these costs were escalating, but the gentleman I spoke to couldn't help. He put me on hold for a while while he asked someone else, but they couldn't explain the details of the charges either. I was told he would find out and email me some information, but the email never arrived. As a result I felt it was appropriate to post a comment on a public forum. I do thank you for taking the time to reply and explain though, maybe you could make the details more available on your website and to your staff. I am sorry if I have made you cross with my comments, that wasn't my intention.

All the best,
Simon

Hi Peter,
It's been a few weeks since you first mentioned them.
Do you have any update on how soon the 3000+ set of tradeable instruments will be available?

Hi Peter. Is there anywhere in your platform that states the carry costs etc for that day associated with a particular instrument? at the moment the only way i can find is to open a demo trade and look at the history statement at the end of the day.

Hi Simon

Thanks for your post but I think you have not understood the explanation.

It works both ways a charge or a payment and equals the daily price differential between and a creating implied cash and the front month future. So what customer pays in carry he gets it back in price and what he receives in carry he pays it back with the price. All this is resident in a futures contract. Maybe I was not clear enough in the response.

tks Peter

Peter, thanks for your reply. I take full responsibility for my comments I posted on the other thread, so please don't blame tar - he is as he says, only the messenger.

I don't believe I have misrepresented CMC, I have merely reported the facts as I see them (with my own personal opinion added in admittedly), and have supported my claims with the evidence in the other thread. As your statement shows, the charge is 56%.

Obviously you have a reason for applying a charge that large (you don't just charge ad-hoc without a reason), and I understand that you have applied the charge in accordance with a method that you've devised to replicate the differences between a 'cash' price and a futures price, but it's this method that raises the issues. 54% works out at (all roughly) $50 annualised, which over 2 months to Apr expiry is a premium of 8 or 9 dollars. Some days it might be that large, but I guess it's pretty unusual. I imagine the reason you've decided to go down this route is your business model. Rather than these costs being built in to the instrument itself, by devolving the futures price to a spot price it means you can pick up the financing charges in fees rather than them 'expiring' gradually over time within the contract. Not a bad idea. The trouble is it's more expensive for the customer! The customer ends up paying financing + 2 or 3% and varying costs of carriage (which in my case have been varying to the upside enormously) rather than a fixed cost determined at the level the trade was opened.

A separate issue is one of customer service. I did try to get an explanation from your team when I noticed these costs were escalating, but the gentleman I spoke to couldn't help. He put me on hold for a while while he asked someone else, but they couldn't explain the details of the charges either. I was told he would find out and email me some information, but the email never arrived. As a result I felt it was appropriate to post a comment on a public forum. I do thank you for taking the time to reply and explain though, maybe you could make the details more available on your website and to your staff. I am sorry if I have made you cross with my comments, that wasn't my intention.

All the best,
Simon

nop but if you look on web page should be there
it is normally libor plus/minus 2 percent. however, some big stuff coming soon regarding finance. only days to wait now.....

tks pc

Hi Peter. Is there anywhere in your platform that states the carry costs etc for that day associated with a particular instrument? at the moment the only way i can find is to open a demo trade and look at the history statement at the end of the day.

So far we seem to have had only one (or is it two?) next gen live user posting here. Is everyone waiting for the expanded range of markets, or do the gothic charts put people off?

Hello Peter,
I had been to one of your seminar last week.Disappointed that there was no sandwiches,just the coffee!!!
Anyway, What i understand is .. with major UK shares you can only bet £2 a point at a time. I was told to do another trade if i want to increase the stake! Well.. Your system is not for me at the moment, i stick to Marketmaker.

Thanks

hi Ross
one day you will love our charts. I promise
cheers pc

Sorry, PC, not much chance of that, I'm afraid, unless you change to user defineable colours, add a highlighted price on the Y axis and get rid of the 3-D effect indicators. I've really tried to get used to the floaty black charts, but if I wanted to go space walking I'd apply to NASA.

Sorry Ross. I know you love our charts deep down. You are just in denial. Once the new ones are released very soon and you get your ipad you will not be able to put it down especially once you see our new ipad version.

come on Ross you just have to admit those first words.
I love CMC Markets Charts they are the greatest. ha ha Once you have said it you will feel much better. ha ha ha ha
:clap:
Sorry, PC, not much chance of that, I'm afraid, unless you change to user defineable colours, add a highlighted price on the Y axis and get rid of the 3-D effect indicators. I've really tried to get used to the floaty black charts, but if I wanted to go space walking I'd apply to NASA.

Reactions: tar
Good day Mr. Cruddas, it's been a while since I was one of those who expressed concern about Maketmaker's being closed. Still, I hope you are keeping well.

However, I could hardly believe my eyes when I read CMC's latest "weekly review". So, in disbelief, I re-read it... and same once again.

I am sorry to admit, that cash only bets (+ daily financing charges) while you're withdrawing all futures bets on Brent & Nymex crude as of 18th of March, on *any* of your platforms, is definitely not my idea of good news. It's almost impossible to believe that you're removing all crude futures bets. Before drowning my sorrows, in a barrel of the black stuff (Guinness of course), I just called one of your competitors who definitely confirmed that they will be continuing to offer the front month futures contract *and* the daily on crude. I also got the impression that my query as to whether they will be continuing to offer future contracts was a most welcome one...

I'm just wondering, if sufficient numbers of people express dissatisfaction with being restricted to daily cash bets only re the products that you're withdrawing, would you be at all open to re-considering their removal, in the not too distant future?

Thank you.

Sorry Ross. I know you love our charts deep down. You are just in denial. Once the new ones are released very soon and you get your ipad you will not be able to put it down especially once you see our new ipad version.

come on Ross you just have to admit those first words.
I love CMC Markets Charts they are the greatest. ha ha Once you have said it you will feel much better. ha ha ha ha
:clap:

Yes, you're right. I've seen the light and I now think next gen charts are exactly what I need. Thanks for pointing out the error of my ways.:D

Hi

I agree with Peakoil, I was very surprised to see that crude futures will not be offered if I interpretted the weekly update correctly. All my work colleagues at Man Investments were surprised and there was much talk of people switching spread betting firms. I have already enquired with other firms about moving my account. Whilst I don't trade crude a lot, I want that option.

It seems to me recently with other firms offering tighter spreads and better promotions, that CMC are more focussed on pushing their new trading platform than looking after the needs of what their customers want, being tighter spreads and a wide range of markets. It's a shame as I have always preferred CMC but this might be the last straw that pushes me to change providers.

Mike

Status
Not open for further replies.