Close half trade.

GrayTrader

Hi. I'm slowly....very slowly, putting a system together, & now looking to take the next step.
I have an expert that manages my trades after I have manually entered them. It will move my stop to Breakeven, & then commence trailing if I want it to. It works well & I'm happy with it. What I want now is a script that will close half my trade when dropped on the chart.
Now the advice bit.... would such a script work without interfering with the Expert?
I cannot find the script I want, & if I could, would be unable to test it until Wednesday....too many holidays in this country..UK! Hence the bit in above.
Can anyone oblige with a pointer towards such a script, & and an answer to the question.
Many thanks.

hi, what expert do you have to manage your trade? maybe you should get one that can close a partial trade! if you need one just pm me

Hi. I'm slowly....very slowly, putting a system together, & now looking to take the next step.
I have an expert that manages my trades after I have manually entered them. It will move my stop to Breakeven, & then commence trailing if I want it to. It works well & I'm happy with it. What I want now is a script that will close half my trade when dropped on the chart.
Now the advice bit.... would such a script work without interfering with the Expert?
I cannot find the script I want, & if I could, would be unable to test it until Wednesday....too many holidays in this country..UK! Hence the bit in above.
Can anyone oblige with a pointer towards such a script, & and an answer to the question.
Many thanks.

Scripts are 1-time instant execution. They will not disable or remove your ea. However, depending on how your ea operates a script can cause erroneous problems.

examples:
1. Your ea closes ALL trades if they hit +50 pips profit. You execute a script that closes 1/2 of a position at 10 pips profit. Your ea will continue to operate normally and close out the rest of the position at +50

2. Your ea closes ONLY trades that it opens. You execute a script that closes 1/2 position of a trade that the ea opened. Your ea may not properly close the other 1/2 if it is looking for the exact trade (ticket#) and/or size that it opened.

Peter

Ok.....I open my orders manually (as Stop/Limit orders) When hit, the expert takes over. Am I right in assuming that the ea will then work as designed?

Scripts are 1-time instant execution. They will not disable or remove your ea. However, depending on how your ea operates a script can cause erroneous problems.

examples:
1. Your ea closes ALL trades if they hit +50 pips profit. You execute a script that closes 1/2 of a position at 10 pips profit. Your ea will continue to operate normally and close out the rest of the position at +50

2. Your ea closes ONLY trades that it opens. You execute a script that closes 1/2 position of a trade that the ea opened. Your ea may not properly close the other 1/2 if it is looking for the exact trade (ticket#) and/or size that it opened.

Peter

How does your EA react to you making the same adjustments manually whilst it is running?

What is the underlying architecture here? Platform, etc...

Fine. I simply drag the TP/SL line to where I need them, & if touched they react accordingly

Ok.....I open my orders manually (as Stop/Limit orders) When hit, the expert takes over. Am I right in assuming that the ea will then work as designed?

If you didn't design and code the ea yourself then you can't assume anything. You just don't know. Try it out on a demo account to see how it works when you adjust trades manually or use scripts.

Peter

why dont you open multiple trades and close each one on independent EA rules ?

Last edited:
if anyone here has some decent EA's that can manage the Exit (I initiate manually) I would be happy to collaborate on some ideas ..........I have a top gun programmer I normally trust and use for EA's but he is busy on other projects for a while

the basic rules are not rocket science and I would be able to provide my parameters needed

basically my job gets in front of my trading a lot and I get a lot of good entries but want to let a lot of them breathe more instead of my stocatto and inconsistent exit policies based more around standard trailers which are inconsistent with my rules or simply exiting as I need to stop trading to go elsewhere ....

N

Lazy I guess......Nice to automate something as fundamental as that. It relies on nothing except a price to activate, so doesn't miss out if I amble of to make a coffee!

Thanks for the reply though, always nice to 'talk'.

On the EA side, mail me.

Lazy I guess......Nice to automate something as fundamental as that. It relies on nothing except a price to activate, so doesn't miss out if I amble of to make a coffee!

Thanks for the reply though, always nice to 'talk'.

On the EA side, mail me.

ok will do