Cheeky question.

Andy

8 0
Sorry if this a personal question and a bit on the cheeky side but hey don't ask don't get.

What is your annual return? and how long did it take you to get there?
If you have a break down of the years that's great.

Feel free to tell me to naff off. Just want some real world answers so I can have some realistic goals long term and possibly some inspiration of whats possible. I am currently dealing with the fact I need to study my ass off for the next 3-5 years :smart: so need some good news!

Thanks

Last edited:

lloydbee

275 17
What are you looking at trading?

My first 3 years were spend 18 hours a day, 7 days a week looking at charts and screens trading Options and I went 2 steps forwards and 1 step backwards in learning. Just when I thought I was getting on top of trading Options and on the brink of success I would learn something new and be taken back a peg or two along with my accounts.

3 and 4 years in I was making huge gains through high Vega and closed the year out +320% + drawdowns.

5 years plus in and VEGA had severely dried up and so did my earning potential, stepping back for a bit during the year to re-access my trading plan of attack on the markets settled my gains to a low of +120%.
Changing with the markets and attacking it differently as well as getting some well picked luck has seen my account this YTD climb to its current +370%

edited: sorry I didn't realize I was in the 'Spread Betting & CFDs' section...

Last edited:

Stargunner

127 19
Apart from a rather large amount of drawdown in my first month or two, I generate a 5% return per month. Actually my mean monthly return is greater than this and sometimes around 10% but it pays not to get cocky in this game. Despite my initial drawdown, I have made money from trading in the 7 months I have done it, because I've been able to increase my account size as I became more confident in my abilities, and my initial drawdown was on a very small account.

I mostly spread bet and focus mostly on indices and any other equities product.

Reactions: Jason Rogers

Forexmospherian

Legendary member
39,928 3,301
Hi Andy

Re expected monthly or annual returns from a good experienced retail FX trader.

Firstly - I think it is most important to realise that trading the Forex market as a retail trader - with normally a capital account of under $50 k - is entirely different from institutional ( commercial ) trading with a Capital account in the multi millions. We have all heard of top funds achieving say 40 or 70% per annum - and if I had $20 or 50 mill - I would be delighted with that type of return.

In fact if I had a $5 million capital account and made a net 35% - I would still be delighted - as its a very good return on large monies.

However - if I had a $10k capital account and traded full time - ie over say 25 -30 hrs a week and only made say 40 % or even 60% - I would be very disappointed - and probably say - what a waste of time

Its a different ballgame - involving risk management and reward etc on totally different levels.

I would expect an experienced retail FX trader to be achieving over 10 -15% per month - ie over 100 -150% pa - but no way can it be continually compounded at that rate - as you enter a different financial wall or barrier that really effects you trading - ie today you can handle a $200 loss - because you are used to it - but will you be able to handle 3 x $2k or 4K losses in one day ???

Personally - I can achieve results from 35 -50% per month on capital accounts up to $70k - but with no compounding and with no stake size risk over 2% - ( normally less than 1% per scalp ). Bad months can be only 15 -25% ( I don't have losing weeks never mind. months - and no experienced intraday trader should have them ) then really good months can easily be over 50%.

However - to get to this level as taken nearly 13 yrs in total - with now over 15k live trades . It took me nearly 3 yrs to get average consistent and then another 3 yrs before I found all my own "edges" and better consistency - basically by being full time - but only on forex.

Hope that helps - and yes I would swop my return any day for say 20% pa on a $10 million account - but cannot really seeing that happen now at my age ;-)

Regards

F

Last edited:
Reactions: ppplaci and gle101

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

But it's thanks to our sponsors that access to Trade2Win remains free for all. By viewing our ads you help us pay our bills, so please support the site and disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock