Chart of 10,000 coin tosses

Fettered, don't be cruel to him please. He is not that bad really.....he....just ...blurts out ..........what he ......
....thinks....that's all. ....he doesn't mean to upset you.......... or do any harm.

Isn't that right, trendie ?

SOCRATES said:
Fettered, don't be cruel to him please. He is not that bad really.....he....just ...blurts out ..........what he ......
....thinks....that's all. ....he doesn't mean to upset you.......... or do any harm.

Isn't that right, trendie ?

Yup, Socrates.
FC wasnt being unkind. Least I dont think he was. :confused:

Hope you had an enjoyable holiday Socrates. welcome back. :)

Eyeballs and brains are very good at finding
A) Patterns that don't exist
B) Correlations that only exist in the eye of the beholder
- Statistical tests for randomness have merit, eyeballing something and saying 'this looks just like...' has as much merit as something that doesn't have a lot of merit at all. (Apologies to those who didn't encounter UK comedy when that sort of comment meant something).

'Here is a chart that resembles a stock chart, but it was produced by a random process' has little real merit - to produce the chart, for a start, the coin should have been made of a non conductive, non magnetic substance, it should have been 'tossed' by a randomly generated force in a vacuum, and about 30 other serious attempts to ensure randomness should have been made. Secondly the results should be analysed statistically to determine the 'non-random' nature of the result... anyone taking the Open University's Biology course 'Intro to cutting the b*****s off a Marmoset' (or whatever it's called) will be taught the basics of determining whether something is statistically significant or not. In a random poll of T2W members I have determined that the number of members capable of deciding if something is statistically significant is statistically INsignificant. (I'd have to look it up again, and at least I knew it once over!)

Suffice it to say, that I am aware I will be burned as a witch in due course, but you can (with the aid of a 'statisitics for dummies' style reader designed for 16 yr old exam candidates) improve understanding no end by using valid - time tested over multiple disciplines - statistical measurements to decide if something is right or not.

Isn't that better than eyeballing it and saying 'a bit over 6 ft guv' ?
Dave