Career Options for a late bloomer...

Imperialian

Hi all, would appreciate your advice pls.

For the past 2+ years since graduation I have been doing non relevant jobs related to Sales and Trading at BBs (Government Job + Prop FX Trading). I am 27 years old currently and will be going for a Masters of Finance at Imperial College in Sep 2012. Reason is partly because I know a prestigious school brand (Imperial's program is more quantitiative) + Masters qualification may open up new career opportunties at BB.

By the time I graduate in 2013, I will be 28. I would very much want to break into BB's trading than working for a prop trading firm. However I am quite worried about a few things.

1) My age, I am not really that young. I heard in Sales and Trading, they like to hire young grads to do errands for them (buying donuts, etc). Although I don't mind doing that, I think they may feel strange to order someone older around to do these kind of stuff. I will be 28 after my Masters program.

2) My experience. My experience at a government job really sticks out like a sore thumb as compared to my prop trading job. I must argue though that I graduated a few years ago in the worst financial crisis that some people compare it to the great depression. Hence I took a government job to pay my bills and my previous undergrad loan.

As such, how do you weight my chances of breaking into Sales & Trading at BBs, and are there any ways to enhance my chances. Would appreciate any advice pls. Thanks!

Its all your mind. Your focus is how other people will perceive you being 20, 30, 50. Other people are not going to put food on your table if you are on the streets so they can all go and **** themselves.

You can enter any arena of industry at any age provided your mind is focused on what YOU want to achieve and not what other people think of you.

That is pretty much you need to know. Everything else is BS around it.

Now instead of posting here and wasting your time, put all your time and energy into calling prop houses, investment banks, private hedge funds WHATEVER is needed to get you to your goal.

Its all your mind. Your focus is how other people will perceive you being 20, 30, 50. Other people are not going to put food on your table if you are on the streets so they can all go and **** themselves.

You can enter any arena of industry at any age provided your mind is focused on what YOU want to achieve and not what other people think of you.

That is pretty much you need to know. Everything else is BS around it.

Now instead of posting here and wasting your time, put all your time and energy into calling prop houses, investment banks, private hedge funds WHATEVER is needed to get you to your goal.

thank you for this post sir. I just needed to read something like that