Career 'Mentor' choice - need advice

LON:RMG

I have the chance coming up to choose a mentor to essentially guide me through the early stages of my career. I have a choice between two people:

- A young guy who is now working at a private equity firm as an investment manager.

- A much more experienced guy who is a top portfolio manager at a large asset management firm.

I am coming with an equities trading background, some original and interesting investment philosophies and a good track record - and I am also a university student.

The reason this is even a choice is because the portfolio manager seems to be less enthusiastic to have a mentor from the self written profile and just from what I have heard from people who overseen the mentoring in the past. It seems like the private equity guy would provide the much more valuable opportunity, though I am worried about the transferability of my skill set and interests when being mentored by someone with an accounting background now working in PE.

Any thoughts/insights?

Hey there

A good Mentoring match is a combination of many things not just the knowledge transference

Best mentoring experiences I have had have always involved an excellent rapport with the mentor so would suggest you look at that angle as well

Also it is possible to have a few ......dependent on what you are looking for at the time

N

Hey there

A good Mentoring match is a combination of many things not just the knowledge transference

Best mentoring experiences I have had have always involved an excellent rapport with the mentor so would suggest you look at that angle as well

Also it is possible to have a few ......dependent on what you are looking for at the time

N

Good point man, thanks for making it. The chance I have here to get a mentor is through a program of people seeking mentees. It was an application process with a first and second choice, so I will only get the chance to get one mentor through this program. I put the PE guy as first choice and the AM guy as second.