Career in a hedge fund / stock broker that doesn't involve trading?

redt

Hi

I am a first year student at Kent University studying Business Studies.
I am confident i will achieve a 2:1
I have grades BBC at A-Level.

After University i would like to start a career in either Stock broking, Hedge funds or investment banking

Since i turned 18 i have been trading shares with my student loan money, and although it interests me i dont think i would want to trade for a living.

So was wondering what other positions can be held in the aforementioned companies?

Also as i live in Kent where all my friends, family and girlfriend are settled i wouldnt want tro relocate to central London.

Are there well paid jobs in the sectors mentioned with sufficient career progression in the South East (outside / greater London)?
or is moving to central London my only choice to start a fruitful career?

or for entry level roles is my options either a trader or administration?

Hi

I am a first year student at Kent University studying Business Studies.
I am confident i will achieve a 2:1
I have grades BBC at A-Level.

After University i would like to start a career in either Stock broking, Hedge funds or investment banking

Since i turned 18 i have been trading shares with my student loan money, and although it interests me i dont think i would want to trade for a living.

So was wondering what other positions can be held in the aforementioned companies?

Also as i live in Kent where all my friends, family and girlfriend are settled i wouldnt want tro relocate to central London.

Are there well paid jobs in the sectors mentioned with sufficient career progression in the South East (outside / greater London)?
or is moving to central London my only choice to start a fruitful career?

or for entry level roles is my options either a trader or administration?

Sounds to me like you're a bit too picky

in what way exactly is being picky by not wanting to trade, but still wanting to work for an investment company?

ive only crossed off ONE job title - trader. i was looking at future employment in any of the following sectors: stock broking, hedge funds or investment banking.
is that being picky?
if so, what other types of companies are there that are involved in the financial markets?

or do the aforementioned companies only have 2 potential entry-level roles, trader or qadmin?

with my grades i am not aiming for the top banks/brokers, i will be realistic when it comes to applying.

would be great if someone could answer the questions i asked
thanks

Saw a post on the Guardian a couple of days back, guy had advertised for a lab assistant, no experience nec, no high level qualifications really needed, amongst the hundred plus apps he had 40 apps from grads with 2:1 and five phd level apps.. Scary times ahead. Fight for jobs? Fook yeah. :-( hard times approaching..

Saw a post on the Guardian a couple of days back, guy had advertised for a lab assistant, no experience nec, no high level qualifications really needed, amongst the hundred plus apps he had 40 apps from grads with 2:1 and five phd level apps.. Scary times ahead. Fight for jobs? Fook yeah. :-( hard times approaching..

:eek: PHDs fighting for jobs
that settles it, post-doc research as a career...
unless those people had useless PHDs like gender studies... or marketing (that's my cheap shot for the day lol)

to the OP: good luck finding a broker job locally :) sorry i don't live in the UK so i have no idea how to help you, you're a first year so by the time you're out of uni (4 years) something might have opened up

so besides being a trader or administrator/secretary what other job roles are there in a:

Stock broker or Hedge Fund company

- i dont mean currently available vacancies, just the different type of positions in these companies

Fund Accountant, VBA programmer, C++ programmer

also search indeed.co.uk for "hedge fund" and "investment bank" and have a trawl through for inspiration.