career as a trader-what qualifications do I need?

killbillgr21

I am really into stock market and I want to do it professionally in the future. The thing is that I am studying Business Enterprise Systems (it is about economics and IT for businesses)and I am wondering if this is the right course for a career as a trader. Can you tell me what qualifications do I need, in order to give my an advantage to get into a firm in the future?

Not to put you down, but most trading firms would be looking for courses with a tonne of maths, so obviously maths/economics/finance/physics are the obvious ones.

TBH though, being a maths genius from a target university is mostly for IB, to get into prop trading at a prop firm, e.g. Futex, less emphasis in on academic ability and more on trading skill- so if you can show an account statement showing you can beat the markets over a year or two, with a good sharpe ratio etc , should MORE than complement for a non mathsy degree.

To re-iterate my point, Futex have started hiring 18 year olds with just A levels

Last edited:
You do not need any qualifications to be a trader. However, if you wish to do it professionally (and be hired or backed) you will need to demonstrate personality traits to your "employer" that make you stand out from the crowd.
Futex get hundreds of applications a month, so ask yourself, what can I do to make the employer pick me over everyone else.
The good news is. Its not all about certificates.

Demonstrate passion, dedication and drive and you will be impressive.

why do you want to do it professionally ? you have something special (you are math genius, have talent or extremely strong motivation and belief in your intellectual capabilities)? do you know/ feel you can outperform other market participants ? because it is well paid ? because it is one of a socially respected professions, a prove for others that you are "somebody" or just generally like the idea ? Ask yourself, just for your self-awareness, because this is important.
Anyway you firstly must be aware nobody will pay you a cent/penny/eurocent if you don't earn real money on the market. I don't know how exactly it is with investment banks but there you must have an excellent academic background and serve there for some longer time as a support or something, that probably is one of the ways. But thousands of people meeting those requirements can't get there.
I was offered a position as trainee in a trading firm with quite large backing, because I knew where I came and what for and I felt on interview more like partner in business than someone who wants a job. I was interested in trading since I was 19, studied business management , but wrote dissertation about technical and fundamental indicators , I was trading forex at home , testing technical trading systems using excel, had huge drive to do it not because I "wanted to be a trader" but I felt passion in the subject and I feel it when I do my work now. so I'm working for a firm because I was deeply into it, started to mold myself into that role early enough. Never aimed to do it professionally, I always wanted to do it for myself, I just sent a cv there.