Career advice

david86

Hi all,

I'm 27 and currently on track to finish a business accounting degree this year at a 2.1 grade. I've been applying for investment bank internships and other finance roles the past few months but they all ask for 320 UCAS points and I did terrible on my a-levels, so although I've been passing the online tests, they've been knocking back my application and I think this is the reason why.

Does anyone think its worth me going back to college when I finish my degree to attain some good a-level grades or have any other ideas what I could do? The thought of going back to college turns me, but if it enables me to enter into my dream career then it would be worth it.

Any suggestions or advice would be much appreciated.

Thanks,

David

truth ?

your 27 years old dude.........I think chasing "A" levels is a lost cause personally .....your 10 years behind the curve......

I would review what other qualifications are available for your dream careers and go for them alongside trying to secure employment in something as related as possible to work your way up

best wishes and sorry about the reality check
N

Thanks for the reply pal. Are you saying that at 27 I'm too old to enter the finance industry? I don't believe my time from school til present has been wasted; I've been in a managerial position for the past 6 years, I just decided life is too short and wanted a career change. Accountancy is my second option, although not as glamourous or exciting as investment banking.

accounting is teh poo

tax is lulzy

you can earn 6 figs easy if you get a half decent little practice going. easy work too.

When you first don't succeed, try, try again. Only a looser gives up so easily.

Thanks for the reply pal. Are you saying that at 27 I'm too old to enter the finance industry? I don't believe my time from school til present has been wasted; I've been in a managerial position for the past 6 years, I just decided life is too short and wanted a career change. Accountancy is my second option, although not as glamourous or exciting as investment banking.

It will be terribly difficult because these days the banks are more interested in advanced computer science than any kind of business aptitude. Plus they generally would look for a Russell Group degree and very good supporting academics OR a lot of very relevant experience. 27-30 is not too old to get into investment banking however, but honestly I think your best bet is to go Big 4 for a couple of years, make senior associate and then second to a bank (the big 4 are always sending junior managers to 12 month bank positions, basically saves the banks from advertising for finance positions). You can then make it clear you are interested in trading and hope a corporate officer takes a shine to you. I have seen this happen and it sound likes you wouldn't consider the big 4 to be dead time. That's honestly your best way in given your situation unless you get very lucky.

Really grateful of the replies everyone, it's so difficult to get this kind of information. I'll continue applying as I'm doing, including trainee accounting positions and also the big 4 route definitely sounds worthwhile. Considering going to Manchester to do a masters degree in finance but I get the feeling I wouldn't get much from it for the outlay.
Thanks again everyone, I'll let you know how I get on for anyone reading who are in a similar situation

Get qualified then apply for a middle office, product control job at a bank, you'll then have exposure to traders etc.. it is then potentially possible (chances are still slim) to move into a trading position if that's what you're after. Odds are against you tbh... but product control does seem to be a way in for qualified accountants and gives you exposure/visibility to the traders.

Sorry but if you want to get into a big name on a grad scheme you'll need a first from Oxbridge/LSE/Imperial (in general) and you'll need to charm them at interview. They don't care what course you did either.

27 is very old to try to get in via the normal route so you'll have to go a roundabout way like Big 4 etc as mentioned...they generally want very young people on their grad schemes.

Some great advice thanks, what sort of positions should I be applying for in the big 4 banks?

What's the general opinion of the positions posted on Junior-Broker.com: For all junior, graduate and trainee trader broker FX Sales jobs, qualifications, career advice and lifestyle choices ? Easier to get into than the larger banks I assume? Ignoring the diamond/carbon credit trading personally...

Some scammers advertise there, they tell you that you will be placed once you pay for training, once you give them your money you can guess what happens next. As for coloured diamonds, land, wine, carbon credits its just stealing from people in all but name.

You're looking at becoming a broker now? You realize that is mostly a sales role? (and a dubious one at best judging by that site)

If you're good quick with figures, mental maths etc.. then the various option market makers might be worth a look if you're desperate to trade - it is a risky move, they will let almost anyone who fits the minimum requirements sit their tests though you really will need to be quick at mental maths (this can be practiced). Lots of people fail early in their careers (which is why these firms are continually recruiting) and being an average performer isn't going to be much good either... if by some slim change you get through the selection process and perform really well then it could be a good choice.

Being realistic it is highly unlikely that you'll land a trading position at a bank at the moment, I think your best shot (to at least do something related to trading) is to get qualified (or at least part qualified) as an accountant and then try to explore roles at banks/funds that might be interesting... product controller is likely the best bet.