Carbon trading

DUDE1

Hi peeps,

Just wondering where does carbon credit offsetting come under in the balance sheet?
is it a commodity, derivative?

Does if have to be regulated by the FSA - uk?

If working for a firm that deals this Do you need unit 1 regs and unit 2 securities to trade it- if working for a firm like that?

If you recently passed your unit 1 and unit 2 exams and your looking for a broker firm to work for and it so happens to be a green investment firm.... does that mean the exams (unit 1, 2) one took are useless? and how long before the certificates are invalid if you're in a firm that is unauthorised by the fsa and you're there for 2 years etc?

People that trade carbon credits are they called stock brokers?

Cheers peeps...hope someone can help.........

Dude

It is a commodity derivative without an underlying. It's a bit of a funny, untested market at the moment. Nobody is sure what will happen with it until after December 2012 when a post-2012 Kyoto agreement MAY be implemented.

Not sure about regulation but I imagine you would need to pass derivative exams to trade this.

People who trade carbon credits are often energy traders but you do get commodity brokers and sales traders (though not stock brokers).

It is a commodity derivative without an underlying. It's a bit of a funny, untested market at the moment. Nobody is sure what will happen with it until after December 2012 when a post-2012 Kyoto agreement MAY be implemented.

Not sure about regulation but I imagine you would need to pass derivative exams to trade this.

People who trade carbon credits are often energy traders but you do get commodity brokers and sales traders (though not stock brokers).

Thanks Jaydee,

The firm in question is dealing in carbon credit offsetting and other ethical, green investment and is looking to recruit, it isn't regulated by the FSA, their brokers tell me that it's a commodity and not a derivative lol

they say that the investment money goes into a fund which is regulated and is called an 'Escrow Oak Trust' which is regulated and located in guernsey. You heard of an escrow oak trust fund??????????? they said that the fsa regulates that but i rang the fsa and they aint heard of no oak trust.

They also said the unit 1 and 2 aren't required for the job....makes you think why one bothered taking the exams.......

Would you take a job in this kind of a firm? or would you not bother if for instance you only recently passed your unit 1 and 2?

Bit confused with legit and scamming companies.......

Sorry if its way out.........

Anyone got any pointers?

Dude

You don't need to pass any exams to trade carbon futures on ECX, I did a bit of it before realising it was **** and shockingly expensive...

That purely as a local... I think I was able to use my ICE ITM.

I imagine that brokers have to be FSA registered regardless of the asset, simply because they are handling client funds which is a regulated activity.

Can't say I have heard of the firm myself but that doesn't mean they aren't decent. Maybe you should go there for an interview and check them out. However, if all you can see is a load of recent grads chained to a desk with a phone, Yellow Pages and computer, I'd run a mile.

Whoah jaydee's post made me read dude's latest post... yeah 99% chance you being scammed

Ye had interview with the firm last week..........

They said we need to test you in a cold calling scenario.......aim is to get out 10 brochures a day..........

sounds like a chump job....the only plus point i can see from it is the sales experience to be gained.

That isn't a plus point unless your dream job is zenith windows... or maybe it's a plus point if you don't tell anyone that you worked there.

But could you live with yourself scamming money out of stupid people?