C.C online rejection

Mohican

hi guys,

Wonder have your C.C online order ever got rejected? wonder what cause the rejection..

I was turned down by Nationwide despite having an unblemished record.

I only wanted the card because of the transaction fees / currency conversion for use in the States.

Never mind, there loss.

JonnyT

A friend was rejected because they had just moved job and were currently living in rented acom..
Another had a CCJ and didn't realise it and my mate was rejected because a tenant in the same house had a ccj.
you can get your own credit info online at a few places but i guess http://www.experian.co.uk/consumer/index.html are as good a bet as any.

It worth noting that they only "supply" information and that the client usually has their own ratings etc...

Last edited:
Mohican, if you are asking about online purchase being rejected, you'll need to ask your CC issuer why, generally it's to do with security.

Yes and some issuers can be over-vigilant imho. I think they have programs which crudely establish your spending pattern with reference to location, amount, type of goods bought etc. and if you suddenly stray from your usual spending habitat a security alert is created, which can result in a rejection. Online purchases are particularly prone to this, especially ones related to gambling.

Once I had the cheek to buy an expensive bottle of whisky for a friend's 30th, a mere 35 miles away from where I live and the next day I was called by security and asked if it had been me at the till! They may as well have asked whether I led an unusually sheltered life while they were at it. Still, one day I'll thank them for it, no doubt.

One credit card company I have is particularly vigilant about transactions.. and I am very pleased with what they are doing BTW... they regularly check even sometimes small amounts like filling up with petrol! I always pay the full amount each month and they monitor/block and call me if they notice something odd.
So I have had several legit online transactions 'blocked' but it was easily sorted out with a phone call and I think a little inconvenience is well worth it to make sure no dodgy transactions are debited to my card

I used to work for a software company dealing with CC transaction routing, and one of my clients did all the 'hotcards' for petrol stations etc. One example of security is if you use a CC at a petrol station and then at another petrol station a long distance away but only a short time later (i.e. you can't have driven there yet) then they notified the bank. Also if your CC is reported stolen they can track when and where it gets used to help the police.
Now the Chip&Pin is there (and once it's all active, the back ends aren't up to speed with the functionality yet), if you report the card stolen it'll lock itself next time it's used (or within a couple of uses, gets more teccy to explain further!)

My nan's card got scammed once, she only ever used it once a month in one restaurant, MasterCard called her up to ask if she'd suddenly bought £2,000 of PC bits from the US...

-TPO.

Last edited: