Buying shares (complete newbie)

dirk_

Evening guys

Having recently paid off our mortgage we are now looking to make some investments in the stock market and am looking for some newbie advice.

I have been doing some reading on possible up coming IPO's and am interested in investing when they come up

Snapchat
Pure gym
Pinterest
Uber

Also looked at Amazon, Tencent and Alababa (Baba)

At them moment we have about £10k saved and I want to invest the lot and then start buying between £500 - £1000 shares every month or 2

Can anyone offer advice on an online Brooker and any other thoughts on the above

Thsee shares would be a long term investment rather than day or short term trades

Thanks in advance

. . .These shares would be a long term investment rather than day or short term trades
Hi dirk_,
Welcome to T2W.

The focus of T2W is on trading over short periods usually ranging from intra-day to a few weeks or, at best, a few months. Without wishing to direct you away from T2W, you may find a forum such as The Motley Fool more useful, as its focus is very much on long term investing as opposed to short term trading.
Tim.

Evening guys

Having recently paid off our mortgage we are now looking to make some investments in the stock market and am looking for some newbie advice.

I have been doing some reading on possible up coming IPO's and am interested in investing when they come up

Snapchat
Pure gym
Pinterest
Uber

Also looked at Amazon, Tencent and Alababa (Baba)

At them moment we have about £10k saved and I want to invest the lot and then start buying between £500 - £1000 shares every month or 2

Can anyone offer advice on an online Brooker and any other thoughts on the above

Thsee shares would be a long term investment rather than day or short term trades

Thanks in advance

welcome Dirk and please don't be put off by Tim
The motley fool is closing its forum very shortly, and even if it wasn't its not that good at all. Advice on investing could easily just be applied to a 5 minute chart. the only difference possibly on the timeframe

It would be a really bad idea in my opinion to go for an IPO. just look at Royal Mail attached. started great but a few weeks later it bombed and is worth less now after all this time than where it started
If I were you (and I am, as despite Tim I only look at longer time frames) I'd on;y look at investing in stocks that are in an uptrend or about to start a new uptrend. Its far safer. Just my opinion of course, but it works.

if you'd like to discuss trends etc then just send me a PM and I'll tell you all I know about longer term trading which motely fool would never had done!

Attachments

• royal mail.PNG
    royal mail.PNG
    36.7 KB · Views: 181
Have you looked into 'Stock and Shares ISA's' with stockbrokers such as Barclays and Hargreaves Lansdown? I can recommend a good book that helped me a few years ago - Its 'The Naked Trader' by Robbie Burns. There's a whole chapter on IPOs. Leaving aside his 'sense of humour' it's a good introduction to longer term fundamental trading.