Bull put spread long leg

NineIron

25 0
I've heard that the long leg of a vertical put spread is used to "define" my risk. Could someone explain that?

WklyOptions

269 24
I've heard that the long leg of a vertical put spread is used to "define" my risk. Could someone explain that?

Hi, NineIron,

Well, there are a couple of "variations" here. Suppose XYZ stock at $100:

1. Bullish Put Vertical Spread - also called a Bull Credit Put Spread (example):

Short (-1) Sep(20th) $90 Put Option
Long (+1) Sep(20th) $85 Put Option

You would be receiving a Net Credit to open this spread. It is (a) bullish in directional bias; (b) the long put is the "insurance leg" that is used to "protect" against losses if XYZ breaks below < $85 at expiry.

Net Credit = (credit rec'd on short $90 Put) less (debit on long $85 Put)

Max Risk = $5 less (Net Credit rec'd)

Max Return = Net Credit rec'd

2. Bearish Put Vertical Spread = also called a Bear Debit Put Spread:

Long (+1) Sep(20th) $90 Put Option
Short (-1) Sep(20th) $85 Put Option

You would pay a Net Debit to open this bearish put spread. In this case, the long put is the "profit-bearing leg" of the spread - not the "insurance leg" of the spread.

Net Debit = (Debit on long $90 Put) less (Credit rec'd on short $85 Put)

Max Risk = Net Debit

Max Return = $5 less (Net Debit)

Unfortunately in options trading, there are many terms and labels for the myriad of options-based spreads available to trade! :whistling

Hopefully, however, the above brief examples show the difference in the functional use of the long Put leg.

Regards,

WklyOptions

NineIron

25 0
Hi, NineIron,

Well, there are a couple of "variations" here. Suppose XYZ stock at $100:

1. Bullish Put Vertical Spread - also called a Bull Credit Put Spread (example):

Short (-1) Sep(20th) $90 Put Option
Long (+1) Sep(20th) $85 Put Option

You would be receiving a Net Credit to open this spread. It is (a) bullish in directional bias; (b) the long put is the "insurance leg" that is used to "protect" against losses if XYZ breaks below < $85 at expiry.

Net Credit = (credit rec'd on short $90 Put) less (debit on long $85 Put)

Max Risk = $5 less (Net Credit rec'd)

Max Return = Net Credit rec'd

2. Bearish Put Vertical Spread = also called a Bear Debit Put Spread:

Long (+1) Sep(20th) $90 Put Option
Short (-1) Sep(20th) $85 Put Option

You would pay a Net Debit to open this bearish put spread. In this case, the long put is the "profit-bearing leg" of the spread - not the "insurance leg" of the spread.

Net Debit = (Debit on long $90 Put) less (Credit rec'd on short $85 Put)

Max Risk = Net Debit

Max Return = $5 less (Net Debit)

Unfortunately in options trading, there are many terms and labels for the myriad of options-based spreads available to trade! :whistling

Hopefully, however, the above brief examples show the difference in the functional use of the long Put leg.

Regards,

WklyOptions

So, I end up buying the stock at the long leg strike?

WklyOptions

269 24
So, I end up buying the stock at the long leg strike?

NineIron,

I'm assuming you are net bullish and you have a short put at one strike, and a long put at a LOWER strike price - and you received a credit when you opened this bullish credit put spread.

Is this accurate? If not - my answer would not be appropriate. If accurate:

(1) Your short put leg at expiry = you are put stock at that strike price = you are now net long stock at that strike price.

(2) Then if stock < long put leg strike price at expiry = you would be assigned to be short stock at that strike price.

At expiry, (1) and (2) cancel each other's net positions/shares. You would incur a realized closed loss of the difference in strike price if stock price < short put leg at expiry.

However - total loss = (1)-(2) less (credit rec'd) from the original credit of that bull put spread.

Understand? You should not have any Net shares "differences" since both the long and short puts are In-The-Money and cancels each other effectively.

Regards,

WklyOptions

NineIron

25 0
NineIron,

I'm assuming you are net bullish and you have a short put at one strike, and a long put at a LOWER strike price - and you received a credit when you opened this bullish credit put spread.

Is this accurate? If not - my answer would not be appropriate. If accurate:

(1) Your short put leg at expiry = you are put stock at that strike price = you are now net long stock at that strike price.

(2) Then if stock < long put leg strike price at expiry = you would be assigned to be short stock at that strike price.

At expiry, (1) and (2) cancel each other's net positions/shares. You would incur a realized closed loss of the difference in strike price if stock price < short put leg at expiry.

However - total loss = (1)-(2) less (credit rec'd) from the original credit of that bull put spread.

Understand? You should not have any Net shares "differences" since both the long and short puts are In-The-Money and cancels each other effectively.

Regards,

WklyOptions

Yes, you assume correctly. I just need to wrap my head around it.
Thanx.

WklyOptions

269 24
Yes, you assume correctly. I just need to wrap my head around it.
Thanx.

Hi, NineIron,

You'll get it - just read, re-read, my example and explanations. Write it out on paper, use XYZ at $100.

Or use real examples from any stock.

Keep at it - you are very close to getting it! I can tell b/c you are asking the right questions. (y)

Don't "let go" of your question - UNTIL you have clearly and repeatedly proven to yourself that you comprehend how a short bullish put credit spread works - its risk, its max profit, how it plays out at expiry, etc. THEN - use a different example short put spread - and work thru that also and repeatedly again. :!:

You WILL learn - and you WILL internalize the short put credit spread! Then you CAN learn to begin making profits from this new trading "tool". Ok? :whistling :idea:

Don't hesitate to post more questions if you have them - it will be beneficial to share our findings/answers with the T2W traders and community.

Regards,

WklyOptions

NineIron

25 0
Hi, NineIron,

You'll get it - just read, re-read, my example and explanations. Write it out on paper, use XYZ at $100.

Or use real examples from any stock.

Keep at it - you are very close to getting it! I can tell b/c you are asking the right questions. (y)

Don't "let go" of your question - UNTIL you have clearly and repeatedly proven to yourself that you comprehend how a short bullish put credit spread works - its risk, its max profit, how it plays out at expiry, etc. THEN - use a different example short put spread - and work thru that also and repeatedly again. :!:

You WILL learn - and you WILL internalize the short put credit spread! Then you CAN learn to begin making profits from this new trading "tool". Ok? :whistling :idea:

Don't hesitate to post more questions if you have them - it will be beneficial to share our findings/answers with the T2W traders and community.

Regards,

WklyOptions

Thanx. I appreciate the input. I just got approval to do spreads so, I want to make sure that I "got it".

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

But it's thanks to our sponsors that access to Trade2Win remains free for all. By viewing our ads you help us pay our bills, so please support the site and disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock