Breakout Up

zippy,
you need to have a premium account at advfn to access this url nowadays though it was free for a short while when it was introduced.

I use metastock and sharescope to look for breakouts though I usually find that a simple approach to support and resistance is best - eg. a stock that's making a new high today but didn't yesterday.

You can also look for volume and gaps for additional information.

advfn gives real-time info though I only have end of day tools.

I've tried a variety of methods for finding good trading candidates and from a TA point of view breakout related signals are the most useful. They also tie in with the concept of buying a stock when it is making new highs.

zippy

40 0
darth trader

I do have have a premium account at advfn, I think I could be breaching thier rules by pasting this information
here. I was just wondering whethr there was a swifter way of looking at support/resistance levels.
Thanks for your comments. By the way I use Market Eye and AIQ.
Had I noticed Royal Sun a few days ago I would have shorted it!

within metastock I use the following code:

c > ref(hhv(c,28),-1) and
ref(c,-1) <= ref(hhv(c,27),-2)

for a short term break through resistance. I'm sure that AIQ will allow you to do something similar.

There are also various other functions available eg. pricechannelhigh()...

sorry, I should add

c is the closing price
hhv() is highest high value of specified period and
ref() is an indexing function eg -1 is yesterday

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

But it's thanks to our sponsors that access to Trade2Win remains free for all. By viewing our ads you help us pay our bills, so please support the site and disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock