Breaking Your Rules...

_JWG_

Hey Guy's,

Just wondering what techniques T2W traders use to overcome breaking their rules/ trading plan.

Any psychological tricks? or perhaps a certain routine when you feel emotions taking over?

Please no reply's like "just stick to your rules". This is obvious.. but not very easy.

Cheers
JWG

only threw discipline really..and finding out what happens when you do break them! usually only takes one time to learn your lesson..like the time i thought i had a sure thing over leveraged to the max and lost about 1k a second..so anytime i those thought enter my head it quickly takes me back to that!

only threw discipline really..and finding out what happens when you do break them! usually only takes one time to learn your lesson..like the time i thought i had a sure thing over leveraged to the max and lost about 1k a second..so anytime i those thought enter my head it quickly takes me back to that!

Oooooo nasty... Thanks for the tip!

Always one thing at a time.

So, whats your worst aberration? Describe it to us. Describe what you think before hand? Describe what you feel before hand? How fast does it happen?

Also, does this type of mistake remind you of something you do in other parts of your life or anything you used to do?

Then we'll look at a prescriptions that might work for that specific issue. One at a time.

Always one thing at a time.

So, whats your worst aberration? Describe it to us. Describe what you think before hand? Describe what you feel before hand? How fast does it happen?

Also, does this type of mistake remind you of something you do in other parts of your life or anything you used to do?

Then we'll look at a prescriptions that might work for that specific issue. One at a time.

Hey Nine! Great to see you post...

Forgive me Nine but were you serious up until the last sentence?

Do you want me to answer those questions?

JWG

I found the only way I could ever control myself was to have an in build time limit penalty attached to the **** up in the trading plan.

for example If I break a rule, I could no longer make any trade in the same calendar month, or for the rest of the week... or whatever...

I found that having time off to reflect on what an idiot I was actually worked wonders to re-focus and come back with a clear head.

I found the only way I could ever control myself was to have an in build time limit penalty attached to the **** up in the trading plan.

for example If I break a rule, I could no longer make any trade in the same calendar month, or for the rest of the week... or whatever...

I found that having time off to reflect on what an idiot I was actually worked wonders to re-focus and come back with a clear head.

Now this... this is a seriously good idea!

Cheers
JWG

Not sure where I read it but I think it was on t2w but someone said read the trade back to yourself before placing it. This may sound a bit crazy but I do this and run through a checklist of why I am placing the trade (all done out loud), what the plan is etc. It does make me stop and think before trading.....

Not sure where I read it but I think it was on t2w but someone said read the trade back to yourself before placing it. This may sound a bit crazy but I do this and run through a checklist of why I am placing the trade (all done out loud), what the plan is etc. It does make me stop and think before trading.....

Not a bad idea at all. I'm going to try this for sure.

Cheers
JWG

Something else that is really working for me is using bar charts and not candles.

I day trade the FTSE and DOW on 15 minute charts and the trades tend to take approx 1-2 hours. Quite often the trade will go wrong before going right and (as a newbie) this becomes a real test of faith in my system.

Oddly enough seeing green and red candles just seem to make the whole waiting process a bit of a nightmare. To cure this I have started looking at bar charts instead and don't seem to be so emotionally involved in the trade. As an aside I find it much easier to identify possbile areas of support and resistance using bar charts :)

FXScalper2 replied to this a while ago saying that you probably think your system isn't working. Quite insightful so worthwhile checking. Assuming that it is, then you need to look at why you are breaking the rules. Perhaps you lack the ability to stand aside while the market climbs 100 ticks in 5 seconds... why? Perhaps you keep going in before the candlestick is fully formed... why? Desperation? Over-eagerness? Fear of missing out?

People are always going to break the rules. The challenge is to realize when you've broken one and get the hell out of the trade at the first opportunity. Hope is not a profitable trading strategy.

Fri Marrch 13 th 2009
I broke one of my rules " to never move my stop after I've set it"
Well it has once again shown that breaking any simple common sense rule will result in losses.
I'm convinced that trading is easy only the trader that makes it hard !

DDR I've been at the game for a while, and I still make my fair share of mistakes. Yet I'm still easily profitable. If I could eliminate all of my mistakes my profits would grow exponentially, but I'm convinced that'll never happen as I'm only human.

Once you move that stop loss order you are then relying on hope. You've got to get out of that mentality quickly or else your account is subject to heavy losses. Hope is not a strategy. Find a point to exit the position, and get out as quickly as possible.

I've found when I'm guilty of moving my stops that I'll miss 2-3 good trades while I'm screwing around with the current one. And I try to remember that for next time. I also keep a picture of my equity curve taped to one of my monitors to remind me of what a drawdown looks like.

Check out this blog post: T2W Day Trading & Forex Forums - TickerHeads

You can also follow my daily blog here as well: TickerHeads Blog

I significantly reduced the frequency of my trading-rules violations by switching from discretionary to systematic trading. Temptation to override my rules remains; however, having those rules in tangible form (hard-coded) has made it much more difficult for me to rationalize/justify/excuse contrary actions.

Hey Guy's,

Just wondering what techniques T2W traders use to overcome breaking their rules/ trading plan.

Any psychological tricks? or perhaps a certain routine when you feel emotions taking over?

Please no reply's like "just stick to your rules". This is obvious.. but not very easy.

Cheers
JWG
Here's a useful psychological trick to keep profits running (assuming you have identified market direction correctly in the first place)

Determine in advance a reasonable price at which to close 75% of your position at profit. Take this profit off the table, but leave the remaining 25% running, but with a stop at breakeven plus a few cents to cover transaction costs.

You now have realised profit banked plus a further "free" trade.

It is quite possible to make the same amount of profit or more from the remaining 25% as the original closed 75% made, but now you are doing it with no risk and therefore no emotions attached.

Charlton

If you break your rules you should punish yourself. What I mean is take away the pleasure from something you were looking forward to by not doing it. For example if during the week you broke your rules and had planned to go and play golf; you don't play

This is like a catch 22 but trusting yourself and dealing with the consequences you will learn not to break your rules after 2-3 times. It all comes down to our inbuild desire for pleasure and pain avoidance. The drive for pleasure from following the rules must be engrained.

Have just been reading through this thread again and a couple of thoughts spring to mind. I hope they're not too off topic....

Firstly, a very experienced trader friend of mine told me something he had, in turn, been told by another trader when he first started out and that was, as soon as you start hoping a trade is going to go your way, it more likely than not means it has gone wrong and you should close it straight away - I remind myself of this advice every time I am tempted to move a stop a few ticks!!!

Secondly, for exits and general trade management / discipline, I would highly recommend having a read of Trader Dante's method which starts here - http://www.trade2win.com/boards/general-trading-chat/32991-potential-setups-513.html . This is working really well for me and has greatly improved my R:R and general peace of mind!! I trade 1H and above and, once a trade is running, simply come back and check the trade at the close of every hour to see if the stop needs moving. I still find it hard not to look at the screen in the intervening 59 minutes but it makes for a much less stressful life if I just walk away. Now I just take a walk down to the beach or read a book - the key for me is to get away from the screen and forget about the trade until the next bar closes. Let me reiterate that it is hard to do this but I am finding that, even if my stop has been hit and I've lost money, the whole experience is becomming less stressful and less emotional.

P.S. In terms of closing trades for profit, you'll see from his thread that this strategy never involves actually closing the trade as the last stop does that for you. Again, I think this is good as there is nothing more damaging to morale than closing a trade for, say, +50 ticks and then watch it immediately climb another 100 ticks in the next minute!!

Last edited:
Sometimes I break rules but whenever I do, I do 2 things:

1. Note the full reason behind this in my journal.
2. Set a stop and also weigh the potential loss vs reward in numbers and write that below my journal entry.
3. Well, then I do whatever is usually out of order and observe the results.

Logging what you do is good, at least for me... and if it doesn't work out, I tab the page with a red sticker. Next time I feel like being a punk, I'll see my previous punk scores. lol.

Thats what I do. When I have a good run I get brave and then lose it back. So when I make money I stop trading for the week and start fresh the next week. When I miss a good trade while I'm off It just raises caution for me when I start to trade again and hopefully send me on another good run.