Breaking down the mental illness taboo

Nought wrong with being a 'nutter' m8. It's what makes people who and what they are. That which does not kill us makes us stronger and all that.

There's something like 1 in 5 at any one time with depression. Can't remember what type I've got but have been up and down since teen years - similar 'strain' to bipolar in that you have good phases and bad phases except the manic isn't mania as such, just what appears to be 'normal' behaviour' followed by the depression phase in never ending cycles. Had the serious breakdown in '97 and spent 5 years on Paroxetine etc.

You get to know lots of people and their problems at that stage of your life - dunno but you seem to attract them. All of a sudden I knew about 10 people with either clinical or manic depression. One guy I knew said the only time his girlfriend ever tried to stab him was when she was on Prozac:LOL:

Did the cognitive therapy thing, which in my opinion does the square root of f8k all...

Since then OK mostly except for the SAD, no need for meds since then but triggers can be weather, lack of sleep, exhaustion etc then I'll either blow up in a rage or go into a three month long dive.

C'est la vie

I have a friend who suffers from extremely severe manic depression.

When I first met him I asked him why he couldn't just put a smile on his face, pull himself together and be happy. I told him that is what I do when I feel a bit down.

He then proceeded to educate me on the illness of depression and how it is a real illnesss which cannot just be shrugged off. I have learnt a lot from this guy about psychological illness and for me it is not taboo at all but a real affliction which needs professional care and attention.

The person I refer to above is currently in a clinic after a recent severe attack of depression.

I feel for him very much as I now know that he is going to hell and hopefully, back again.

He is an incredibly intelligent and talented person who I admire and I just hope he recovers soon, as I hope you do too Arabian

am not sure if you're a nutter or a poof !!??!!??
get a grip and get the ales in !
:)

(seriously, all the best Dave, hope everything turns out well, Garry)

You get to know lots of people and their problems at that stage of your life - dunno but you seem to attract them

That is because like goes to like.

Paul