Book recommendation needed

starlight

Can someone recommend a good, in-depth book on day trading strategies for the newbie?

do you mean generic helpful approaches & ideas to consider when you are learning about the markets?

or are you looking for a specific profitable method that works?

Print off every thread in T2W and then staple it together, perfect... couldn't ask for a better book for the newbie!

I'm looking for specific strategies that I can be walked through, the more the better so I pick & choose those that appeal to me.

wasp said:
Print off every thread in T2W and then staple it together, perfect... couldn't ask for a better book for the newbie!

LOL :LOL:

thats pretty sound advice actually, though you might need a lot of paper. no need to spend money and buy a book if you are ready to spend time surfing this site to learn.

i do think there is much wisdom in the Chick Goslin "trading day by day" book, though not a strategy as such.

starlight said:
Can someone recommend a good, in-depth book on day trading strategies for the newbie?

Day Trading Stocks by Jake Bernstein and
Techniques of Tape Reading by Vadym Graifer

also depends on which asset class you are talking about; trading futures or equities

suggestion
before you start on your path to learn how to trade maybe an idea to take some time to study and learn what trading is about
how it effects you? what do you expect out or trading? what time scale are you looking at? how much money does one need to 'invest'? when would i get a realistic return? and a thousand other questions one would ask if they were starting a business.

strategies! they are a dime a dozen, the emphasis is on how you can work a strategy rather than a strategy work for you.
just a thought

starlight said:
I'm looking for specific strategies that I can be walked through, the more the better so I pick & choose those that appeal to me.

I second the recommendation of Vad Graifer's book. And if you're still interested in scalping, Vad also has a book on that subject. I haven't read it since I don't share your interest, but Vad does know how to trade.

Db

Graifer's book ................. the Tape Reading book is good but check the Amazon.com reviews of the scalping book (haven't read it).

robq said:
Graifer's book ................. the Tape Reading book is good but check the Amazon.com reviews of the scalping book (haven't read it).

Not very flattering. But then I don't pay much attention to reviews of trading books since so many readers expect recipes. I pay more attention to how many books are being offered used and at what price (if dozens of books are being offered at a dollar or two . . . ).

OTOH, I should think that learning to scalp from a book is probably not the best choice. I should think that one would have to be shown, which means a mentor. But that's a whole 'nother box.

Db

starlight said:

Hi Starlight,

If you are looking at daytrading, I would recommend "Financial Freedom Through Electronic Day Trading" by Van Tharp and Brian June.

This is one of the only books I know of that will take a would-be trader through the planning process of trading as well as teaching specific strategies. It will show you how to approach day trading as a viable business venture.

Good Luck

Damian

Damian, do you know where I might be able to find a copy of "Financial Freedom through Electronic Daytrading?" I just checked around & could not find it.

In the meantime, I guess I'll order "Techniques of Tape Reading".

Thanks,
Starlight

Damian, you found it on the UK site. I'm in the U.S. & didn't check there. I wonder if they ship to the U.S. & how expensive it would be.