bond information.

one/two

80 0
hi all

I am on the start line of trying to find out about bonds (futures specifically).I have spent several years following equity and indices of Europe and America and have gained much experience.
however I havn't given the bond markets a moment.

Being extremely ignorant of them, I am looking for A good starting point. The equivalent trade2win site would be excellent. However all good links would be appreciated.

thanks.

Halo

136 0
yippee..

hi, glad to see another fixed income bod on these boards...

I trade German Bund Futures and have promised to post some info up on the levels I use and other info.

Bit hectic at the moment so it's taking longer than i expected to put pen to paper but I will get it done...

I can post quick replies here if you have any specific questions..

one/two

80 0
morning halo.

I am running IB/liffe at the moment, ticker symbol for the main bond futures would be a good start.

Last edited:

Halo

136 0
ah...
you got me there..
I'm using Pats' J-Trader from Man where the products are pre-loaded for me.. I haven't used IB so a bit stuck on that one.

For US/Europe the contracts you may be interested in (and why) are below..

Exchange Contract

Eurex Bund (FGBL) the most liquid bond future in the world!! Regularly trades 1million contracts/day and range is trading friendly. Have a look at www.futuresource.com's charts the symbol is DGBM03 for the june'03 - (current front month)
Based on German 8.5-10yr Government Debt (although lots of EC Gov. bonds are deliverable into the Future). If you are a straight futures punter all you need to know is that it's liquid, it charts well and the tick value is €10. Margin is around €1000 per lot so won't break the bank.. as an index trader the first thing you'll notice is the size - as there are very big players in the Bund it's not uncommon to get 1000-3000 on a bid/offer .. Don't be put off - this is great for the smaller trader like me - My 1/2/3 lots trade without even seeing them. If you place a Stop loss the slippage is usually not bad as there tends to be volume

Eurex Bobl (FGBM)
5 year Euro-Government bond future - less volatile than the Bund as the shorter duration is less prone to flux... Same tick value less margin.. again, highly liquid.

CBOT(ace) T-Bond - the US 30yr Bond future is the daddy of gov. bond futures - if you read any of the US books it's not hard to find a reference.. The contract trades electronically most of the day and trades open outcry parallel while the Chicago pits are open. Margin and tick value are a bit higher than the Bund but the trading hours may offer some advantages to you...

Others worth looking at:

CBOT (ace)10 year note
LIFFE Gilt

I'll try to put some more up as this has been literally banged out while i'm doing about a few other things..

one/two

80 0
that will do nicely.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

But it's thanks to our sponsors that access to Trade2Win remains free for all. By viewing our ads you help us pay our bills, so please support the site and disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock