Bollinger band excel calculation?

andrewh25

Does anyone have the excel calculations for a data version of bollinger bands?

Thank you.
Andrew.

Andrew,

you sure you want to use BB for your analysis ?

regards

Andrew
Try this:

Col A - Close
Col B - 20 period Moving average
Col C - Absolute (Col A - Col B)
Col D - Standard Deviation 20 periods of Col C
Col E - Col B + 2*Col D (upper Band)
Col F - Col B - 2*Col D (Lower Band)

This is the standard Bollinger - 2 standard Deviations equals 95% enclosure. If you want to try different widths use another cell as the reference instead of 2 - e.g. $G$1 contains multiplier

Mark - nice link

BBB,

john Bollinger’s bands assume data to be stationary .. stock data are of non-stationary type.

Also , his bands does not include Volume in its design and bands solely defined by prices are un reliable as prices can be manipulated ...

Technical analysis has moved on a lot since John developed his bands .. Our community does not seem to want to move on ..

There are far better indicators out there ( TASC ) which can be easily integrated into one's platform to get a better understanding of market behavior and hence his trading ..

Regards

Last edited:
Grey 1 - The bands measure the SD from the MA. The MA isn't stationary, so I don't quite grasp what you mean by the first point.

I find the bands useful in describing price action relative to itself e.g. the squeeze, expansion, relative high low definitions etc.

Sure volume isn't included, and I agree that price is manipulated a lot more than most would like to believe. Thats why volume should be taken into consideration when making calls.

They are not perfect either - but what is?

To be honest, I'm not the biggest fan of TA anyway! (indicators, chart patterns such as triangles H&S etc)
I don't think that B Bands should be used on their own as entry signals, but they are very descriptive of price action when taken into consideration with other variables?

Wouldn't you agree??

BBB,

Stationary and non_ stationary data I was referring to has another meaning ..

I have explained that before on

http://www.trade2win.co.uk/boards/showthread.php?s=&threadid=7782&highlight=stationary

You can also do a quick Google search under stationary for further info ..

Why donot members use a VWMA.. This MA lets them to trade along side the volume and the mass participant and is by far more meaning ful in trading than price action only ..

Thanks Grey1. You have a point. To be honest, I never realised there was such a thing as VWMA! I'm not a massive fan of indicators. I (like to) believe that all I need to know is on a price chart and volume clip (with Bollinger bands to give some additional description sometimes)

My charting app has around 140 indicators on it. 139 of them I never use! VWMA is not one anyway. Maybe it's time to upgrade!!

Andy,

Just found this excel prog in my Database.. If you are still keen using the BB then , This is for you ..

Attachments

• sugen_bollinger.xls
    419.5 KB · Views: 2,540
BBB,

john Bollinger’s bands assume data to be stationary .. stock data are of non-stationary type.

Also , his bands does not include Volume in its design and bands solely defined by prices are un reliable as prices can be manipulated ...

Technical analysis has moved on a lot since John developed his bands .. Our community does not seem to want to move on ..

There are far better indicators out there ( TASC ) which can be easily integrated into one's platform to get a better understanding of market behavior and hence his trading ..

Regards

BBB, bollinger bands certainly does have use. I'm no expert on indicators and am a newbie when it comes to trading, but I use BB bands together with another indicator and so far this morning I had 15/16 ITM trades with binary trading.

Maybe older indicators are of more use than we think. Just putting that out there. Peace

2u3cu

Gold, Day Chart
I use BB with 17, 1 setting together with EMA 7
When BB 17, 1 walk along with EMA 7
follow the trend, until the price get it BB.

Inside BB is suppose subway, stand away and watch
Only trade with getting outside.

simple rule make easy.