Best Thread Binary Methods

Chris - I have to say that I am very interested in you comments regarding the magnitude of a move. You really think that it is possible to forecast this before a move? What kind of probabilities are we talking about here?

Our research suggests we can forecast nearby magnitude ie the next 10-20 ticks (in our case this equates to 5 - 10 mins worth of data) with varying degrees of accuracy ranging from 65% - 80% + reliability depending on volatility.

The new sys generates a table of probabilities with the highest & lowest probabilities forming the basis of a trading strategy.
However the application still needs to be able to incorporate risk and firm money management principles to avoid getting things badly wrong.

You mentioned volatility several times.

Our experience suggests that extreme volatility preceeded by spikes are information based and cannot be forecast. However an analysis indicates spikes ,in certain circumstances, indicate a change or very strong enforcement of sentiment.

An example would be the London market expecting US base rates to rise so the Ftse trades down between -7 and -10 for most of the day. However US rates are moved higher or information accompanies the move that indicates more severe action in the future . The market spikes moving by 2 or three pts in the space of a minute. The difficulty is judging whether this is false or real ( ie prices will rebound quickly or continue down). Our new algorythms are able to assign probabilities to these scenarios that early testing indicates could be traded profitably.

Chris - Is your system developed for 'Hourly' bets or mainly for the 'Daily' bets?

Steve.

stevespray said:
Chris - Is your system developed for 'Hourly' bets or mainly for the 'Daily' bets?

Steve.

The system just mothballed worked on daily basis.

Trading hourly or any interval represents more complexity in terms of coding but it is worth considering.

Thanks

Steve as you have been very helpful to me in the past I shall send you a private message from this website with the methodology info you seek!

Hi Steve Spray,

I remember you writing on this site a year or two ago that you had virtually stopped doing binaries with IG/BB because you had been too successful and had 'been put on manual' which made it difficult to trade. You appear to be back trading the binaries - is this because you have been taken off 'manual' or do you detect a change of policy by IG/BB ?

Feenix.

Hi all,

Has anyone figured a way to maybe make your self the "bookie" when trading binaries. This probably wouldnt work but if you were to back the favourite all the time (when the price is around 70 to buy) I guess doing it that way, the losses will be bigger than your profits but could it be possible to come out infront over the long run?
This was just something I have thought about, but placed no money on the idea. Perhaps someone out there has some input on it or could throw some of there own ideas around to see what we can come up with. If all else fails at least it will be an interseting thread lol.

Benron said:
Hi all,

Has anyone figured a way to maybe make your self the "bookie" when trading binaries. This probably wouldnt work but if you were to back the favourite all the time (when the price is around 70 to buy) I guess doing it that way, the losses will be bigger than your profits but could it be possible to come out infront over the long run?
This was just something I have thought about, but placed no money on the idea. Perhaps someone out there has some input on it or could throw some of there own ideas around to see what we can come up with. If all else fails at least it will be an interseting thread lol.

How does this work exactly? Surely it all depends if the price of 70 is better than the true odds or not?

I dont know how it would work exactly, thats why I am asking other people. I example I used was to start conversation, I wasnt implying it was a method. Thanks for the reply anyway :)

Yeah it does work sometimes to buy high but the major issue is that you only need 1 losing trade @ 70 to wipe out 2-3 winners profit.

Same old story unless you can get it right all of the time et etc.................

Best binary tactic would appear to be buy in the opposite direction when it is a very low price and the market has just moved a long way in a short timeframe. Wait for the recovery and take some profits from it. Big trick on this is knowing when to take whats on offer. Stay too long you get nothing get out too soon you throw away a lot of money.

Getting this balance right is very tough.

Benron said:
Hi all,

Benron,

Your idea is interesting one, you need to limits your losses on every trade. For instance if you buy at 70 and the market start to go opposite direction it will be better if you can sell at 40. Hence your limit your losses to 30 per trade. Assuming that you have strike rate above 60%.

If you can manage to do that on every trade you might be on profit at the end of the day. Easy said than done though.

Last edited:
Benron said:
I dont know how it would work exactly, thats why I am asking other people. I example I used was to start conversation, I wasnt implying it was a method. Thanks for the reply anyway :)

Its a poor strategy.

It works in the very short term and thats the danger. You're lulled or suckered into thinking you've hit on something. When it starts to fail you think ".....well thats to be expected " and you keep trying to make it work until you're out of money.

Picking an abitrary price introduces a whole host of problems.

If the price opens above X do you put the trade on ? If so and it starts to move against you when do you get out. Should a buy and hold strategy be used or do you close out immediately or do you close out after a certain point fall against your position.

Do you keep putting trades on when your price level is met. If so be prepared to be whipsawed several times a day.

Do you modulate the strategy ie vary the rules the closer to expiry the market gets ?

In the short term such a strategy is likely to keep your heart rate above the 100 bpm mark and burn you out. There is no "long term" with this approach.

Greed Is Good said:
Best binary tactic would appear to be buy in the opposite direction when it is a very low price and the market has just moved a long way in a short timeframe. Wait for the recovery and take some profits from it. Big trick on this is knowing when to take whats on offer. Stay too long you get nothing get out too soon you throw away a lot of money.

Getting this balance right is very tough.

As the basis of a sucessful long term strategy this is the best approach. The Binbet model is as much in the dark as the traders here and they're prices are forced in the immediate direction of an extreme market move. If you can spot the bottom of the price move before binbet you can make good money in these situations.

Chris S said:
As the basis of a sucessful long term strategy this is the best approach. The Binbet model is as much in the dark as the traders here and they're prices are forced in the immediate direction of an extreme market move. If you can spot the bottom of the price move before binbet you can make good money in these situations.

I would agree fully with Chris on this one. The key is in understanding how the option (binary) is priced in respect to intrinsic value and time premium. At the start of the hourly the company providing the prices have to price their model according to how volatile they think that particular hour is going to be. If, at the start of the hour (lets say the first 15 - 20 mins) the volatility picks up and turns out to be higher than the company predicted then an opertunity occurs in respect of undervalued remaining time premium (there is a far greater chance of the market moving back towards the strike than the price suggests). Logic therefore dictates that the price moving sharply lower in the first 15 mins of the hour is "self detecting" in nature - the markey falling to say 15/85 in that period is itself indicative of potentially underpriced volatility. If you could buy it <15 and then ride it and exit at around 50/50 then you'd likely turn a profit over a longer run. The problem is that you might only a few chances to trade the strategy a week.

Steve.

Is there anyone prepared to put their neck on the block and give a daily statement on whether the FTSE will be higher or lower than the preceding day???

Great thread!

Hey there guys, great to read such a deep chat on binaries, fantastic.

I've been testing a system of my own over the past few weeks and results have been "acceptable" (aka certainly profitable), near the end of last year it was better, maybe more liquidity in the market, if so then it should be getting better from this week onwards. My strategy sounds quite similar to Chris's there in the fact that it's very short-term and predicts the next day. Sofar it only seems to work on the DAX and FTSE. I'll test it over the next two weeks and then as Saj mentioned there, I'll consider posting some trade signals and we can all see how it fairs.

SeanB

Saj123 - I'm sure Robertral will offer you odds on it being up. If you are very sure of this I am sure he will take good care of you at his price.