Best online broker

alexander

Any suggestions about which online broker for US stock daytrading is considered the best at the moment in terms of platforms and commissions charged?

Thanks for the help - Alexander

Trader333 said:
There are various views on this depending upon what you require but in my view it is still difficult to beat the service offered by www.interactivebrokers.co.uk

Paul

Thanks Paul. I have been checking their website for a while now and I plan to open an account to test their service and platform. Looks impressive.

Alexander

A word of warning about Interactive Brokers. I have decided to close my account with them, and trying to get them to return my funds has been a nightmare. Two weeks down the line and my funds are sitting with them still, and I have now been told that my account has been frozen. I hav e to phone again after 2.30 so that I can speak to the person in the US who froze my account.
For trading once everything is set up IB are great, but this performance to get my money back from them has soured my view.

Hmm, this sounds very strange. I have never had a problem withdrawing money to my personal account. Can I ask what you did to try and close it and why they have suspended your account ?

Paul

I've had 3 different brokers. IB was my 2nd. They were ok. I had trouble with "stop loss hunting" (sudden and very short term drop in bid until stop loss trigger and then, within a few ticks, the price returns to or near where it was before.) I am NOT saying IB did it but it's never happened since I switched to Scott Trade but it did break me of using stop losses while I'm online and watching my account, and I set my stops deep enough it has never happened since. Besides, once my account grew so that I was having to buy several thousand shares at a time their fees (.01 up to 500 shares, minimum charge of $1.00 US and .005 cents thereafter) got a little steep. Ex: 5000 shares cost $27.50 while I now often trade 10-15 thousand shares for $7.00 with Scott Trade. It's a matter of your trading style and account depth. For now I'm sticking with Scott.

Hi

I use Etrade US and optionXpress. Both are ok for my style of trading (end of day). Between the two, I prefer Etrade. OX is better for bracketed orders....

garyhamon said:
. IB was my 2nd. They were ok. I had trouble with "stop loss hunting" (sudden and very short term drop in bid until stop loss trigger and then, within a few ticks, the price returns to or near where it was before.) I am NOT saying IB did it but it's never happened .

Whilst I have learned never to say "never" that is more likely to be coincidence than anything to do with IB, for one they quote market price and have no control over the bid / ask, and for a second,they would have no vested interest in doing such a thing, they're not holding the otherside of your trade so they would not gain from doing so. But as long as you are happy where you are now then that's all immaterial :)

garyhamon said:
I've had 3 different brokers. IB was my 2nd. They were ok. I had trouble with "stop loss hunting" (sudden and very short term drop in bid until stop loss trigger and then, within a few ticks, the price returns to or near where it was before.) I am NOT saying IB did it but it's never happened since I switched to Scott Trade but it did break me of using stop losses while I'm online and watching my account, and I set my stops deep enough it has never happened since. Besides, once my account grew so that I was having to buy several thousand shares at a time their fees (.01 up to 500 shares, minimum charge of $1.00 US and .005 cents thereafter) got a little steep. Ex: 5000 shares cost $27.50 while I now often trade 10-15 thousand shares for $7.00 with Scott Trade. It's a matter of your trading style and account depth. For now I'm sticking with Scott.

I thought Scot trade did not open accounts for non US persons?

If you ask around Interactive is the preferred choice of professional traders.

neil said:
Has anyone tried this broker as an alternative to IB albeit Pacific may be a little more expensive. Pacific seem to be London based.

http://www.pacifictrader.co.uk/futures.asp

(Advertised on our (T2W) site at top of page)

After some time in their web site I still can't work out their commission structure. They offer 'gold' 'silver' or 'bronze' but nowhere are the relative benefits of each explained (although the latter 2 appear to be commission free ....must have that wrong!)

They have the ER2 e-mini contract down as worth $5 per tick when in fact it should be $10.

Not impressed so far......... :( .

IB are OK

Not impressive

peto said:
After some time in their web site I still can't work out their commission structure. They offer 'gold' 'silver' or 'bronze' but nowhere are the relative benefits of each explained (although the latter 2 appear to be commission free ....must have that wrong!)

They have the ER2 e-mini contract down as worth $5 per tick when in fact it should be $10.

Not impressed so far......... :( .

IB are OK

Hmmm....their CFD spreads are very wide also :!: