Best Charts program

pkfryer

Has anyone used the Best-Charts program?

I have been fiddling with it and it seems to be very good and cheap to the extreme (its free, or at least was). I got data downloaded automatically on one of my favourite stocks and there was a list of charts and indicators. The performance didn't look too good so I clicked on optimisation (optimise parameters) and there was a whole series of positive percentage gains. The performance of their buy/sell trading systems looked very impressive. I'm going to start paper trading it and see what its like, seems a little bit too good to be true. Only a few out of 10+ indicators showing a loss!

Do any of you use Best-Charts and what have your trading experiences been?

At the very least its underlined the importance of optimising parameters for indicators. Can you over do optimisation, and what relationship is there to past/future performance? Can you be very confident in a system that wins most of the time in the recent past?

If you haven't checked out Best Charts it might be worth having a look at. Seems basic but its indicators seem really good and its free (or was): http://www.best-charts.com

Hmmm

EOD data collected for analysis through Telechart 2000 - sounds ok.

Optimisation - this is a discussion that goes on and on.Suggest peeps search threads for more information on this topic.

Last edited:
I had tried this software in the past and found it pretty good for stock trading (imho).

I used to back test stocks and then optimise indicators.

Although I had only used it for paper trading, I had an account fall from $100k to $78k (before using the software features) and then back up to $113k (using above methods with the software) all within a year or so.

It may have been sheer luck or gained experience on my part, so I would like to hear if anyone has any good experience with it?

BTW. i never continued into trading for real because i decided to switch countries and so have other use for my cash. I am hoping to start up again soon and am just activating paper trading accounts.

Would be nice to know if its a waste paying the money for this now that its charged for.

for those who dont know it the url is: stock chart analysis,stock quote,free stock software (i know, i know, dont laugh)

Has anyone used the Best-Charts program?

I have been fiddling with it and it seems to be very good and cheap to the extreme (its free, or at least was). I got data downloaded automatically on one of my favourite stocks and there was a list of charts and indicators. The performance didn't look too good so I clicked on optimisation (optimise parameters) and there was a whole series of positive percentage gains. The performance of their buy/sell trading systems looked very impressive. I'm going to start paper trading it and see what its like, seems a little bit too good to be true. Only a few out of 10+ indicators showing a loss!

Do any of you use Best-Charts and what have your trading experiences been?

At the very least its underlined the importance of optimising parameters for indicators. Can you over do optimisation, and what relationship is there to past/future performance? Can you be very confident in a system that wins most of the time in the recent past?

If you haven't checked out Best Charts it might be worth having a look at. Seems basic but its indicators seem really good and its free (or was): http://www.best-charts.com

I have downloaded and started paper trading using optimized params. I noticed that if I saved the parameters when the program indicated an entry point for a particular indicator, and then reloaded them a few days later, the backtest then gave a different table of results. So my entry point is no longer confirmed by the new backtest. I could not access their manual as the link did not work for me. I would have assumed that if you save the params on the day of the entry point then backtesting with the same params a few days later would yield the original table of results?

JeffC