Basic Info About Trading In An ISA

NewThought

16 1
Hi Everyone,

At this time, I don't have an ISA for the current financial year, and I'd like some basic information about a trading ISA, please. I've seen some good starting information on the Money Saving Expert website (trading ISA link), but I have a few more questions:

* am I right in thinking that the way it works is that you put a few thousand pounds into an ISA trading account, and then you get a web screen that allows you to buy and sell shares?

* do UK ISAs allow purchase of ETFs (British and foreign), and foreign shares?

Thanks for any advice or links for further information!

mb325

473 87
Yes, you put a few thousand pounds in an ISA and then you get a web screen that lets you buy/sell shares.

Yes, ISAs allow purchase of ETFs. You are technically allowed to trade shares on any recognised exchange, but many providers limit it to UK exchanges, so you will have to pick the right provider if you do want to trade foreign shares. The same applies to ETFs but many of these products are UK-listed but track foreign stock markets etc. so this is another way to get exposure to foreign markets.

NewThought

16 1
Yes, you put a few thousand pounds in an ISA and then you get a web screen that lets you buy/sell shares.

Yes, ISAs allow purchase of ETFs. You are technically allowed to trade shares on any recognised exchange, but many providers limit it to UK exchanges, so you will have to pick the right provider if you do want to trade foreign shares. The same applies to ETFs but many of these products are UK-listed but track foreign stock markets etc. so this is another way to get exposure to foreign markets.
Thanks for your advice. The ISAs in the MoneySavingExpert link I gave only allow users to buy and sell funds. On the basis of your reply, I looked at MoneySupermarket, and found some ISAs that allow trading of shares (British and foreign) and ETFs - link.