Bars to analyze on the Iraj ELAs

pedro01

Hi All

I am using Iraj N Minute change - the 'load additional bars' setting when I imported this was 400 or 500.

Similar for other ones I downloaded.

I'd like to reduce this (well, I already did down to 200) - what are your thoughts on

Iraj N Minute Change - 14 bars only.
Position Sizing (on a daily chart) -14 bars only
MACCI - not sure about this - II presume not reqd if using on a chart. I'm not using it on radar.

Any thoughts ?

Cheers

Pete

Hi All

I am using Iraj N Minute change - the 'load additional bars' setting when I imported this was 400 or 500.

Similar for other ones I downloaded.

I'd like to reduce this (well, I already did down to 200) - what are your thoughts on

Iraj N Minute Change - 14 bars only.
Position Sizing (on a daily chart) -14 bars only
MACCI - not sure about this - II presume not reqd if using on a chart. I'm not using it on radar.

Any thoughts ?

Cheers

Pete
Pete

The Iraj N minute change needs to go back 14 bars and so does the size, which uses an ATR(14).

As you say it shouldn't matter for MACCI on the chart. To quote from the TS help

"Chart-based analysis techniques and those that do not use accumulative calculations will not be affected by enabling this option. There is no benefit in loading additional data for indicators that do not accumulate variable values. Doing so will only add demand additional memory and processor overhead from your computer. By default, the Load additional data for accumulative calculations option is disabled for new analysis techniques and is pre-set for any TradeStation supplied analysis techniques that require it."

Now when you mentioned position size you put in brackets "on a daily chart". If you are day trading this should be on a 10 min chart (see the comments section in the ELA code). This will provide larger position sizes because you are holding them for a shorter period. For swing trading it would be set to daily.

Now this got me thinking - in a screen shot that I posted of my setup I included the Size indicator in the same radar screen as the Iraj N minute change. The data compression for the Iraj N minute change needs to be altered every 14 mins, which also means that the data compression on my size column changes every 14 mins - OOPs I didn't intend that to happen :whistling. Fortunately it airs on the side of caution, but in a basket of shares it will lead to an unbalanced risk percentage, so I will now be taking the sizing column and placing it in a separate radar window with a fixed data compression.

Charlton

As you say it shouldn't matter for MACCI on the chart. To quote from the TS help

In my view Macci needs to load an additional 30 bars in Radarscreeen.

Paul

Pete

The Iraj N minute change needs to go back 14 bars and so does the size, which uses an ATR(14).

"Chart-based analysis techniques and those that do not use accumulative calculations will not be affected by enabling this option. There is no benefit in loading additional data for indicators that do not accumulate variable values. Doing so will only add demand additional memory and processor overhead from your computer. By default, the Load additional data for accumulative calculations option is disabled for new analysis techniques and is pre-set for any TradeStation supplied analysis techniques that require it."

Now when you mentioned position size you put in brackets "on a daily chart". If you are day trading this should be on a 10 min chart (see the comments section in the ELA code). This will provide larger position sizes because you are holding them for a shorter period. For swing trading it would be set to daily.

Now this got me thinking - in a screen shot that I posted of my setup I included the Size indicator in the same radar screen as the Iraj N minute change. The data compression for the Iraj N minute change needs to be altered every 14 mins, which also means that the data compression on my size column changes every 14 mins - OOPs I didn't intend that to happen :whistling. Fortunately it airs on the side of caution, but in a basket of shares it will lead to an unbalanced risk percentage, so I will now be taking the sizing column and placing it in a separate radar window with a fixed data compression.

Charlton

Charlton - I am finding that position size on the daily chart gives me an amount I am confortable with for right now.

Obviously as I get used to the strategy, I may go to a lower timeframe with it.

Charlton - I am finding that position size on the daily chart gives me an amount I am confortable with for right now.

Obviously as I get used to the strategy, I may go to a lower timeframe with it.
Pete

That's fine, but the only issue is that the position size is calculated based on an ATR(14) and the ATR of 14 daily bars could be very different to 14 10 min bars, if volatility had changed markedly over recent days.

Would it not be better to adjust the capital or the risk percentage in the inputs to reduce the calculated postion size you would be more comfortable with, but keeping the ATR based on an appropriate intraday interval ?

Charlton

Pete

That's fine, but the only issue is that the position size is calculated based on an ATR(14) and the ATR of 14 daily bars could be very different to 14 10 min bars, if volatility had changed markedly over recent days.

Would it not be better to adjust the capital or the risk percentage in the inputs to reduce the calculated postion size you would be more comfortable with, but keeping the ATR based on an appropriate intraday interval ?

Charlton

Thanks for the input. (y)

I found that position sizing on the ATR of 10 minute bars was giving me very high numbers of shares indeed. Only in extreme cisrcumstances would 10 min ATR be greater than daily ATR & we are generally dealing with volatile stocks here.

Anyway - I'm just getting into this - if I can get my MACCi analysis right over the next few weeks, I can refine the other parts such as selection of stocks to use, position sizing etc.

I'll come back to this for sure.

Can you give examples ?

Paul

OK - look at AMZN

Daily ATR 14 = 6.22
10 Min ATR 14 = 1.37

Position size calculation is :

MMStop = (Capital * (FixedPercent/100))/(BASKET);
Psize = (MMStop / (AvgTrueRange(14)));

So - MMStop is amount to risk per stock. This gets divided by the relevant ATR to give position size.

As the daily ATR is much greater than the 10 min ATR, you are dividing risk by a larger number. Dividing by a larger number will give a lower Psize.

In this case Psize daily based on a 25 K margin account (100K capital) and basket of 2 gives me

daily - 160.72
10 min - 728.41

That is $42K based on the 10 min - way too much risk for a 25K margin account in my opinion - at least until I discover the Holy Grail.

BTW - when I say 'risk' - I'm thinking of the occasional inevitable spike that'll occur.

Relative position sizing and risk adjustment

OK - look at AMZN

Daily ATR 14 = 6.22
10 Min ATR 14 = 1.37

Position size calculation is :

MMStop = (Capital * (FixedPercent/100))/(BASKET);
Psize = (MMStop / (AvgTrueRange(14)));

So - MMStop is amount to risk per stock. This gets divided by the relevant ATR to give position size.

As the daily ATR is much greater than the 10 min ATR, you are dividing risk by a larger number. Dividing by a larger number will give a lower Psize.

In this case Psize daily based on a 25 K margin account (100K capital) and basket of 2 gives me

daily - 160.72
10 min - 728.41

That is $42K based on the 10 min - way too much risk for a 25K margin account in my opinion - at least until I discover the Holy Grail.

BTW - when I say 'risk' - I'm thinking of the occasional inevitable spike that'll occur.

Pete

I appreciate the reasons why you want to reduce your position size, but I still think you are altering the wrong part of the equation. IMHO the best way to reduce position size to something you are comfortable with is to adjust either the portfolio size or the risk percentage until you get position sizes you are comfortable with.

The reason I say this can best be illustrated with an example. Let's say that you have 2 stocks that have been exhibiting pretty similar ATRs for the last 14 days, but today one of them starts to exhbit much greater volatility. If you use an ATR(14) based on days then you should get fairly similar position sizes and you would give them equal weighting today in your portfolio, yet one of them is exhibiting far more risk today. So now your portfolio is not following the principles espoused here of balancing your risk by correct position sizing.

To illustrate with an example. Take 2 stocks today GE and UTX, chosen because they were showing large changes on Iraj N minute. I have set position size with portfolio = 120000 and risk = 1% and taken a screen print of the position size using a daily interval. GE = 132.66 and UTX = 82.00. This is a ratio of 1.61. I also took a screen print a couple of seconds later showing the same thing but with an interval of 10 mins. Here GE = 2153.85 and UTX = 1031.94. This is a ratio of 2.08. The 3rd attachment shows the situation a few minutes later. GE = 132.08 on daily and UTX unchanged at 82 i.e. a ratio of still 1.61, whereas the 10 min is showing GE = 2079.21 and UTX = 1029.41 i.e. a ratio of 2.01. Clearly the relative position sizes of a particular basket of stocks alters more rapidly on a 10 min ATR than on a daily ATR and the relative position sizes of each item in the basket on a 10 min ATR can be different to a daily ATR

I accept that for practical purposes for small position sizes this probably won't matter, because I suspect that you will round up or down in any case. However I think it is important to understand the principles being used and why they are being used, which is why I am being pernickety about this.

So what I would do to get the position size down to a similar level as the dailys in the above example would be to reduce the risk to say 0.1, which would divide by a constant of 10, but derive the relative risk/position sizing from an ATR whose length was more appropriate for day-trading.

Equally if you were swing-trading then you would use a daily interval on the position sizing indicator.

Charlton

Attachments

• position size.png
    position size.png
    31.9 KB · Views: 44
  • positon size 2.png
    positon size 2.png
    36.8 KB · Views: 37
  • position size 3.png
    position size 3.png
    71.2 KB · Views: 40
Last edited:
daily - 160.72
10 min - 728.41

Pete, If I may say ..

I normally use StopLoss (Risk) = 3*ATR on the timeframe that I use for position sizing. I divide $Risk by StopLoss to get my position size. So regardless of position size and timeframe, my risk remains constant.

Say, my $risk is $200 then if StopLoss (from Daily ATR) = $1.00 then No of shares is 200. If StopLoss (from 10m ATR) is $0.20, then no of shares is 500.

About the spike, I think it is inherent risk and unavoidable but if it's day trade, it has less possibility.