Bankroll requirements for trading forex?

No one Knows

How much money do you think is required to trade forex through spread betting, im very seriously considering having a go. Im saving most of my disposable income for the purpose of trading but would appreciate some advice from anyone who has taken the leap themselves.

regards

Mark

Well, depends who you go with, can get 10p/point. So could run that on a £100 bankroll depending on your strategy etc.

If you're talking about making a living from it, that's a different matter and depends how much you want to earn really.

Well, depends who you go with, can get 10p/point. So could run that on a £100 bankroll depending on your strategy etc.

If you're talking about making a living from it, that's a different matter and depends how much you want to earn really.

The idea being how much money required to earn a living from it, say £1500 a month and then work up from there. Once ive got 1 years worth of living expenses saved how much money will i need as a bankroll on top. My thinking is give myself a year which hopefully will be sufficient time to learn how to be profitable consistently.

regards

Mark

Usual beginners mistake - assuming you're going to make profits and planning too far ahead based on that assumption!

Just start trading with a few hundred and discover for yourself how it goes. To start trading the normal 0.1 contracts, you need a minimum $500 if you're not long-term trading with big stops.

If you prove you can make a consistent profit, up the stakes and get more serious - until then it's just daydreams!

How much money do you think is required to trade forex through spread betting, im very seriously considering having a go. Im saving most of my disposable income for the purpose of trading but would appreciate some advice from anyone who has taken the leap themselves.

regards

Mark

How much experience do you have?

How much experience do you have?

Read a dozen books in the area, play traded a bit. working 60 hour weeks at the moment to make enough money to pay off student overdraft and save some money to trade. Cant trade when im working so many hours so plan on cutting back to part time hours once i have enough money to trade with. Not sure how much ill need though.

regards

mark

Read a dozen books in the area,

excellent, the more knowledge you have the better, but this does have its limits. this knowledge must be put into practice to reduce the gulf between know-how and can-do.

play traded a bit.

for how long?, 2 years?, no mention to your track record, 1)are you consistently profitable? 2)what percentage gains are you making on your demo account? 3)what level of risk (%) are you assuming on each trade or total exposure?

working 60 hour weeks at the moment to make enough money to pay off student overdraft and save some money to trade. Cant trade when im working so many hours so plan on cutting back to part time hours once i have enough money to trade with.

the best solution is to trade the longer time frames, i.e daily, 4 hr, so you dont need to be glued to a screen constantly and can maintain a stable income for the meantime, anything you make from forex is a bonus.

Not sure how much ill need though.

you should be able to work this out yourself, if you can answer my questions 1), 2), 3), above and you know how much you need to live on, then you know how much % you need to consitently make on your account on a d/w/m basis.

regards

mark

but if you answered 'no' to question 1) above, then at this given point in time, this is going to be a failed venture.............

but if you answered 'no' to question 1) above, then at this given point in time, this is going to be a failed venture.............

Play traded seriously almost everyday for about 1 year whilst i was at university, turned $100,000 into almost 1 billion in 8 months but this was fully leverage all the time so had infinity high risk exposure. ( obviously dont expect to be getting those sort of returns in real life before you ask) But if id have only risked 1% of funds per trade this would still have turned into millions over that same 8 month period. (still too ambitious i Know..)

I always traded sat at my computer most of the time while trades were open, almost never held a position overnight. So i guess I was swing trading, this is what ive learned to do. As you've suggested i will have to learn how to trade the longer term view of the market i.e daily, 4 hour charts. Learn to trade them profitably with small amount of real money before commiting myself any further. Thanks for your critique.

regards

Mark

Read a dozen books in the area, play traded a bit. working 60 hour weeks at the moment to make enough money to pay off student overdraft and save some money to trade. Cant trade when im working so many hours so plan on cutting back to part time hours once i have enough money to trade with. Not sure how much ill need though.

regards

mark

Mark,

Most ideas that work well on 4 hour bars or on 1 hour bars usually work even better on daily bars. Why not scale your ideas back to a daily timeframe. Set up an Oanda account (hell, start with the trading game to prove your ideas out) and trade small for a good long while.

Then you could spend an hour on Sunday deciding what was important for the week ahead on 6-8 low spread pairs and then 20m a day comparing them with your criteria and entering trades.

That way you could develop a solid strategy while working which would backstop any shorter term trading when you scale back your working hours. Less stress = better trading for most people.

Kiwi

Mark,

Most ideas that work well on 4 hour bars or on 1 hour bars usually work even better on daily bars. Why not scale your ideas back to a daily timeframe. Set up an Oanda account (hell, start with the trading game to prove your ideas out) and trade small for a good long while.

Then you could spend an hour on Sunday deciding what was important for the week ahead on 6-8 low spread pairs and then 20m a day comparing them with your criteria and entering trades.

That way you could develop a solid strategy while working which would backstop any shorter term trading when you scale back your working hours. Less stress = better trading for most people.

Kiwi

thats solid advice,

most people think that decreasing the trading timeframe to intraday, in order to give them more trades and opportunities, will equate to a better bottom line.

I can say from first hand experience, it does not, the shorter the time frame the harder it is to trade consistently and profitably. less is more in the trading arena.

I personally, trade the daily time frames, holding positions anywhere from a week (if it is no good), upto two months.

the amount of pips I bag from a big move completely smashes anything most short term traders make, with far less sweat and work. (granted i have bigger stop losses, its all consistent) but what I am trying to say is, trading should be made as easy as possible, to revolve around your current commitments, because it is hard enough as it is.

if I was you, I would open an account with oanda, nothing major, say £300, once you double that twice, match what is in the account and you will have something decent to trade with without killing yourself to get your stake together. from there, you should be substantially supplementing your current income.

if it doesnt work out, you haven't lost everything, i.e, job, savings, sanity.

good luck.

It is interesting that we give this advice but don't expect it to be followed. Human nature :)

It is interesting that we give this advice but don't expect it to be followed. Human nature :)

so true,

thats only because I 'learnt' to take the advice after not following it myself.

its only human nature.:smart:

I'm sure this opinion is in the minority, but unless your absolutely new to trading.. why do you have to save up or put your life savings into forex?

IMO wouldnt trading a big account only add to stress? Especially in a loss where its looking at you in the face, taunting you to get it back?

To me, I'm starting out now.. I started learning forex last year, I read countless hours or material, countless hours of chartime, and countless hours of virtual trading until I was consistant. The only missing variable for me was the massive capital everyone recommends.

The thing is, I run a small online business that costs me around $2,000/month to run, it pays the bills after profit and some months a lot more, but even this doesnt seem like the smartest route to me anymore. If I would spend $500/month on a car payment, why not another $500/month on forex (so long as I'm still consistant). If I'm making 1 trade a week, I risk $100, thats the equivalant to risking 1% of a $100,000 account, and at a 1:3 Risk Reward ratio, thats $300, 300 x 4 = 1200 from $500 risked.

I'm not advocating that someone with no knowledge or experience do this, you seriously need to put in hundreds of hours of study and practice before using real money. But my point is, $1200/month doesnt seem like something I need to save $100,000 to get to, when I could do it now for a quarter of my current businesses cost. And as I continue to learn and tweak things if needed, and gain confidence, I can grow from that as well.

Basically to sum this up, I think that knowledge is more important than the actual bankroll.