Automated Trading - Is there hope?

For learning, the best language is probably EasyLanguage from TradeStation. Next best is lite-C from Zorro Trader and third best is C# from Ninja Trader, which is very similar. Then there is a large gap and at the end comes MQL4.

Thanks
Looking through the threads it looks like TradeStation was good but is now lagging behind.

In my opinion any trader should learn to code, otherwise he will never be able to test his system and determine if it's profitable or not.

Since you know how to code, has it helped you come up with a profitable system yet ? If it hasn't, why would it help a trader ?

I'm running many profitable automated systems that I've collected over the time, almost 30 so far, some from me and some taken over from others. I've posted an example here in another thread.

Can you please provide the link to the thread you mentioned. Thanks.

I would like to find a Trading Platform that would allow me to add my own data. For instance, I would like to add the data provided at globalzoneonline.com Financial Market page. Any suggestions. I'm using AmiBroker but can't find any advise...

My advice is to always favor open platforms. The more a platform can be extended and modified, the better. Closed systems with proprietary scripting languages usually paint a pretty small box where you have to try to make due within their rules.

I prefer .Net based applications which allow you to code in C# and to plug in whatever DLLs you like. Build your own data adapters, visualizers, position sizers etc and take control of your trading system. It will allow you to do much more with your trading system and it will make for easier migration to other platforms down the road.

A few good ones are WealthLab, RightEdge and OpenQuant. They are all CLR based and highly plugable.

------------------
Andreas Clenow
Author of Following the Trend

It depends on your definition of open platform, I guess. Most platforms can be extended in some way, but for most consumer level apps you'll hit a wall quite fast. When you try to do something more complex you'll see very big differences between say MetaStock and TradeSignal on one end and RightEdge and OpenQuant on the other.

MetaTrader of course is a very good platform and there are other very good platforms with more or less proprietary languages. Don't get me wrong, I'm certainly not criticizing these platforms or those who use them. Every good tool has its use. My preference for open platforms and standard languages is both for the flexibility it offers and for the ease of migrating.

It all comes down to your business needs and your own personal taste. Not everyone benefits from the added flexibility and not everyone wants to learn a full fledged programming language.

--------------------
Andreas Clenow
Author of Following the Trend

of course there is hope...!!! you should check out zulutrade for having forex on auto-pilot.

It all comes down to your business needs and your own personal taste.

My bushiness need and personal taste are both for pips. Do you know any open system that will satisfy this requirement ? I will also accept closed systems. In fact I am willing to take on any system as long as it produces pips and I don't care if it's an open, shut, go round and round, shake it all about kind of system. I can code c, pro*c, object c, c++, c#, java, pascal, basic, vba, excel, access, modula 2, 6502, 68000, 8088 and derivatives, html, javascript, pl/sql, t-sql, forth, fortran, cobol, ada, perl, bat, sh, lex/yacc, make, expect, FIX, swift (the system that Iran was thrown out of), tcp/ip, CAN-BUS, OBD1/2 (yes, this is for cars), rs232, MQL4 and many, many more - you name them. I am even willing to learn morris dancing if a system requires it to produce the pips.

The only system I would not take on is zulutrade, since no one ever shown me convincing evidence of pips from that.

Last edited:
The non maths/programming types imho should concentrate on technical analysis and charts - and not even bother to attempt complicated programming, which is a lot of hard work to learn and then what ? There is the problem of what to code up to make a profit. Like optimisation there is vain hope but I think not many pass the acid test of regular profits.

I dont understand why some people dont believe that users gain profits in Zulutrade platform , if users would not profit in Zulutrade they why so many users are active and copy traders there? I havent really seen such an active forex signal community elsewhere.

im sorry im not showing you my account management. this is private and you ALLL should respect that!! also i should have a licence to do that, righ - giving advive on account management...anyhow dont wanna get into troubles.

but i can give you the names of the guy that i follow nothing secret in that .....that much at least........check out the print screen.
and for those that do not know, demo accounts do not show the logo of your broker.

Attachments

• live account 5.bmp
    833 KB · Views: 598