auto pattern recognition

GARREI

i am sorry if this is repetitive but can anyone recommend any software that will identify patterns in real time on say 5min,15min,1hr charts please? it doesnt have to include an execution function.
it would be great if it also included traditional indicators and some sort of candlestick recognition function on the same time frames

Roberto said:
Yes. You'll find what you're looking for at www.ProRealTime.com . One week free trial. I recommend it.
thank you for such a speedy reply. i will give it a try and post for the benefit of others in case they are interested at a later date

No problem ... didn't realise it was speedy ... I must have just happened to "check in" right after you'd posted. I subscribed to ProRealTime a couple of months ago after other members here had recommended it to me. The free trial of streaming real-time prices really is free: they don't ask for credit-card details before setting it up. And the EOD service is just plain free anyway. I used to use eSignal, which cost me about 4 times as much. I've never actually tried using the Candlestick Pattern Recognition gadget with it myself, to be honest; so I'll also be very interested to hear how you get on. :)

Ref eSignal being 4 times as much (and speaking as a bit of an es fan <g>) it would perhaps depend on the market and instruments you want to trade - esignal is very definitely more expensive, but if you are looking at stocks then prorealtime appears to do Nasdaq, Spanish, and a few others.... ie it's cheaper, but the range of markets etc isn't especially great - I trade as many NYSE stocks as Nasdaq, and I like to watch LSE as well, so Pro isn't going to suit me by the look of it.

I hesitate to rec Sharescope RT (or 'Pro' I think it's called now) as it seems a bit expensive, but tit seems (at a glance) that there are quite a lot of feeds etc out there for the £100 a month mark that'll cover a decent range of UK/US data, some of which (notably, I have to say, esignal) which allow loads of pattern finding bits to be programmed in - anyone interested in a very basic but functioning candle pattern finder for esignal, for example, can have one I wrote.... the 'is it trending' filter that tries to avoid signalling during flat periods isn't great, but it's definitely okay as a start point!

Dave

again thank you Dave for the reply

just to emphasise however, it is the visual pattern recognition in real time for 5min,15min,1hr that i really want....the candlestick pattern recognition bit is nice but there appear to be loads of providers for that but not too many for the real time pattern recognition of just simple channels, rising wedges etc etc etc

Okay,
it was the 'patterns' bit - you didn't specify which, so I assumed you included just about any TA patterns. Again esignal (sorry, it sounds like an advert) has, like many a program, a lot of add ons that will do this sort of thing - Metastock has John Murphy's add on to find triangles and so forth, esignal, tradestation, etc all have programming languages built in that allow you to write code to find patterns, and many patterns arrive ready to run with the program - sometimes it's free, sometimes you pay extra, the EFS files supplied with esignal work in any timeframe you want to chart. You do tend to find a lot more indicator stuff out there, but that just means you either chop something around to make it do what you want, or pay for a library of routines somebody else wrote. Rising channels etc - at a very quick glance in esignal, I'd probably use my preferred Bollinger bands, take one of the existing BB routines and get it to add arrows to denote crossing the sidebands, hitting the central MA, comparing MA 9this bar) to MA (previous bar) to decide on trend direction etc... EFS is a pain for a few hours, after that you pick it up faster.

I'm talking about EFS/Esignal as that's what I'm familiar with - other programs (usually American) do similar, I'm just not as familiar with the rest. You might also get a few clues by looking at the TAS&C site (www.traders.com) to see what code is posted there.

Dave

thanks Dave. i will give it a try

Roberto...i couldn't find a visual pattern recognition function in pro real time and i have just had that confirmed by their tech advice centre....thanks for suggestion anyway

Gamma Jammer

Good Name!
by email last night with a very early morning reply!

i have now got back info from esignal who state that "ez2trade" should fit my bill which is an add in that they have

also have had an email back from "trade decision.com" who also seem positive

anybody ever used them???????????

Garre - may have just what you're looking for, pattern recognition in real time. Marin Pring at 'pring.com' does a market scan looking for patterns. $29.95 per month. Click on Pring Tiger on the website. Haven't tried it myself, in fact only came across it the other day. If you do use it please let us know how you get on with it as it's the sort of thing (pattern recognition) that I'd be interested in. I do have John Murphy's in Metastock EOD but it doesn't pick out to many and some look a bit iffy.

Thanks Soya for suggestion.......however, just took a quick look and it appears to be another renamed "recognia" product which identifies larger patterns on a daily basis. Maybe i have missed something?

just to re emphasise it is for time intervals of say 5min,15min 1 hr and ability to auto draw trendlines,channels and other visual patterns. Visually i have been following £/yen for a while and if i would have followed such trendlines i think i would have traded profitably. However, in the heat of the moment manually drawing such lines can be very subjective so i just want another set of eyes!

Garei

OK Garei, let me try again. Try 'prophet.net' for real-time pattern recognition. Scroll down Home page to 1. 'Explore' and click. Next page brings up some small charts, click on any one of them. Next page brings up a 'sign-in' page. Ignore sign-in request and just scroll down to bottom where there are some tabs/menu's along the bottom. Look at 2nd one from the left called 'Explore' . Click on the bottom item called Prophet Patterns. This brings up an example of what you might be looking for. If by any chance you go for it or find a website of your own that's any good please post back here as it's something I might be interested in too.

Also another site which might be of interest and mentioned on T2Win under 'scanners' is 'ta-ngo.com' .

Last edited:
Soya

thanks for the reply....i have just tried ta-ngo and first impressions are very good

out of curiosity are u in the oilseed trade with a sign on like soya?

Garrei - No, just a vegeterian, dairy-free kind of guy. Most of the time anyway. Re ta-ngo, I've just signed-on for the free-trial period just to see what it's like, so early days. But I'm getting plenty of signals (too many) so will probably have to cut down type of analysis or something.

Interesting Soya.......have often thought that way but the temptation of the bacon sarnie was too much......just minimise meat intake though am sure i need an alternative source of protein, of which soya alternatives may be an option.........do u drink soya milk and if so what brand? Only interested as i have worked for an international soya crusher amongst other things but complaints often swing around beany taste
have u found a way of filtering intraday alerts such as moving average cross overs and other time wasters yet?am just starting to use but already got a result on dixons this morning

Yes, I've grown to like soya milk Garrei, unsweetened. Brands? Just the usual you'd get in Tesco etc. Granoise, Alpro etc.

Regarding filtering intraday alerts, this has definitely got to be done, I'm getting way to many at the moment for me to give them serious attention, which is a pity as there well may be nuggets in there if I could just seperate them from the chaff. Bit like a radar detector I bought (and subsequently returned) that was always going off at traffic lights, fire stations etc, so that in the end you tended to ignore the alerts.

a bit more info, Soya, re ta-ngo.com and their development plans for the screener.....sounds good re the autobacktest function.....hope helps answer some of the questions

"Thanks for your email below and for your continuing feedback.

Another way of filtering alerts is to use the confirmed alerts screens. This screen will filter only those technical analysis alerts that work and move a small amount ino profit, in effect providing additional confirmation of the initial technical analysis alert. For instance, TA-ngo may generate a "Possible support ahead, prior swing low" alert in the technical analysis screen as price approaches a prior swing low. If price holds at the prior swing low and start to move up, the same alert is generated in the confirmed alerts screen. Effectively, all TA-ngo alerts that start moving into "profit" move into the confirmed alerts screen providing a potentially lower risk entry. The downside of course is that the entry may be slightly later.

Once in the confirmed alerts screen, TA-ngo continues to monitor the profitability of the alert. For more information on this, I'd recommend reading the TA-ngo user guide.

When we first set out in developing TA-ngo, we had to make a decision as to the most optimal timescales for intraday trading. We researched all the stocks and assigned a 5 minute or 10 minute timescale for each one depending upon which we felt was most appropriate. Unfortunately, gven the way TA-ngo is structured, we do not have the flexibility to alter these timescales. We can however, add alerts and moving average bands is something we are considering. I personally have not found them to be too useful in my trading and have not found a set of band trading rules that work well. If you do, I should be delighted to include it as an alert.

We are currently testing sending out text alerts and should have that ready in the new year.

The self learning engine can be run for real time intraday or end of day data and we believe will be the most powerful trader's tool out there.

Best of luck with your trading and thanks again for all your kind feedback. If there is anything else, please don't hesitate to let me know.

Best regards

Aboudy "