Are you **^^**" kidding me?!

YouAreNotFree

Experienced member
London 2012: Teenager, 17, arrested over hate Tweets sent to Olympic diver Tom Daley | Mail Online

That is it.

That really is it.

I am out of this retarded crap hole of a country asap.

I can't fookin believe it. I really can't fookin believe it.

Police now get involved in petty Twitter spats, left right and centre ( remember the Rio Ferdinand farce, and the rest)???

Welcome to Police state UK. Straight out of the 1984 textbook.

What's next, maybe I call my girlfriend a silly cow one day, and the next thing the police are on my door because I hurt her feelings?

...maybe I call my girlfriend a silly cow one day,..

A warrant has probably just been issued for your arrest for using social media to publicly state the above :)

What's next, maybe I call my girlfriend a silly cow one day, and the next thing the police are on my door because I hurt her feelings?

I think we are already at that stage. IIRC there is no legal definition of a "hate crime". The "victim" determines if an action is qualifies as a hate crime, and the police respond accordingly (which means that in 99% of cases they ignore it and continue eating donuts and drinking coffee)

Twitter and Facebook both have this danger written into their makeup. I am an oldfashion old sod, I know, but I would not exchange posts on either of them. Those who do, must accept the inevitable comments. On a read only basis, Twitter may have merit, although I live quite well without.

Hang on. If you threaten to kill someone in public, whether that be online or not, and your tone is not jokey, which it wasn't based on other comments, then you ought to be brought in (for stupidity if nothing else). Better to be on the safe side than let idiots run around threatening people with death. The person that has written these things is clearly a tool, and I have no sympathy for him being arrested.

As for Ferdinand, the FA have made their silly bed, and now they have to lie in it and charge anyone for anything remotely racist based on them charging Suarez for racism based on only one man's opinion. That is silly. Death threats and insults to a sportsman for no good reason is serious.

".... and your tone is not jokey ...."

someone needs to invent an "only kidding" font, since tone is difficult to determine when using the written word.

Well if someone has also said you have let your dad (who recently died) down, then it's pretty obviously not a friendly tone. If you don't know someone, you don't say you'll drown them. kill them whatever. You just don't. If you're a friend, you don't say someone has let down their dead dad.

I'm not suggesting he go to prison for a decade over this or anything, but he should at minimum be brought in and scared a little bit and it be made clear that kind of behaviour is not acceptable.

Hang on. If you threaten to kill someone in public, whether that be online or not, and your tone is not jokey, which it wasn't based on other comments, then you ought to be brought in (for stupidity if nothing else). Better to be on the safe side than let idiots run around threatening people with death. The person that has written these things is clearly a tool, and I have no sympathy for him being arrested.

As for Ferdinand, the FA have made their silly bed, and now they have to lie in it and charge anyone for anything remotely racist based on them charging Suarez for racism based on only one man's opinion. That is silly. Death threats and insults to a sportsman for no good reason is serious.

Whatever. Anyone who goes on Twitter should suffer the consequences of getting insulted and threatened. What you say is for everyone to read and there are some real loonies out there.

true enough Shakone. (I'm not stalking you, by the way)

perhaps we should all twitter him how we has let his father down, just as soon as we find out who it is. :devilish:

Well if someone has also said you have let your dad (who recently died) down, then it's pretty obviously not a friendly tone. If you don't know someone, you don't say you'll drown them. kill them whatever. You just don't. If you're a friend, you don't say someone has let down their dead dad.

I'm not suggesting he go to prison for a decade over this or anything, but he should at minimum be brought in and scared a little bit and it be made clear that kind of behaviour is not acceptable.

This is what you get when the wooly liberal establishment are put in charge of everything.
Praps a clip round the ear at the right age would have sorted these types out before they became a problem.

Nothing scares them, they know they are untouchable.

Yes there are some loonies Splitlink. If the guy from Aurora, had posted what he would do on Twitter, and nothing was done about him, there would be absolute uproar. In these cases where someone is threatening life, err on the side of caution. As Counter Violent says, some people think they can get away with anything. There need to be consequences.

And I hate twitter. Wish it didn't exist.

London 2012: Teenager, 17, arrested over hate Tweets sent to Olympic diver Tom Daley | Mail Online

That is it.

That really is it.

I am out of this retarded crap hole of a country asap.

I can't fookin believe it. I really can't fookin believe it.

Police now get involved in petty Twitter spats, left right and centre ( remember the Rio Ferdinand farce, and the rest)???

Welcome to Police state UK. Straight out of the 1984 textbook.

100% agree with your point.

The main issue here is the charge of 'malicious communications'.

Here is a definition-

malicious [məˈlɪʃəs]
adj
1. characterized by malice
2. motivated by wrongful, vicious, or mischievous purposes
maliciously adv
maliciousness n

If that isn't scary I don't know what is. Better not rib on your mates football team for being rubbish from now on. That could be interpreted as 'vicious' or 'mischievous'. You may scoff at that, but if you have paid any attention to the news over the past years you will know we are not far off.

In addition, if people cannot see the (somewhat witty) irony in this kids comment 'I'll drown you' then I don't know what to say.

Imagine if you, I, or anyone else was arrested each time for using the following phrases-

'I'll knock your head off' (by deinition this would mean death)
'I'll kill you'
'I'll bury you'
'You're a dead man'

I have recieved and given these threats in the heat of the moment ( arguments, scraps etc) many times. I've had a few Xboxlive messages this year too that just said simply 'I kill you' from some peeved player that I killed too many times in CoD.

That's fine as your opinion YouAreNotFree, but I don't agree with it at all. If it's just insults, fine. If it could be viewed as a death threat, then not fine. And no it is not in the least bit witty. Nor is saying someone has let down their dead Dad. It's a horrible attitude and horrible comments. This is not banter. Why do people think they have the right to abuse others for no reason? Are these the manners of the current generation?

As I pointed out, if the Aurora gun man, had posted it up on twitter, and nothing was done to prevent him, where do you think people's sympathies would lie? Who would be at fault? The same people you're attacking.

Now if you get in an argument with someone, and there's abuse back and forward, all fair game. If it's anonymous and the person doesn't even know who you are, then there's no real threat, then it doesn't bother you. If you're known to them, and they harrass you online and threaten to kill you, then in my view they are probably emotionally unstable and stupid, and I don't want people like that threatening my life. Why should I have to put up with that because someone wasn't raised correctly?

It's easy for you to sit back in no real danger and laugh about someone on XBoX, but I don't think this is the same. If it happens to you really. I.e. someone continually sending abuse to you, or your home, or your family, and then threatening you. You won't be so on the side of these loonies then. And you'll be more than pleased for the police to deal with the person.

Seriously, the economies of Europe, with a few exceptions, are a complete shambles. Yet here we are frittering away our hard pressed resources on this utter ********.

Picture the scene....

-'Ring ring. Ring ring.'
-'Hello, Police'
-'I'd like to report a crime'
-'Of course, what is it?'
-'My friend said I have no balls, it really hurt my feelings'
-'Oh my word. Don't you worry sir, I'm sending the swat team out right now. He won't get away with this.'

Completely fooking pathetic.

My Grandad is 90 years old, and back in his day men really were men. Now? Bunch of metro sexual, overly sensitive wimps.