Are these Active or Passive Funds?

Hey folks,

Are these funds active or passive funds?

JPM Natural Resources FP

My Future Focus Cash Lump Sum FP
not sure why im always drawn to your posts..anyway i'll answer this for you and bog off

neither of these are retail funds, as the sedol number isnt recognised
going by the factsheets however:
JPM is investing in individual shares, and so by definition it must be active.
Future Focus on the other hand looks and states to holding passive 80% (mixture of Gilt and Non-Gilt) as well as corporate bond and a mixture of short and medium term gilts. I would doubt very much whether this fund was active at all.

neither state the actual instrument, not unusual for non-retail, and neither state the management of them
the costs can also be a giveaway however
0.5% for future focus also suggesting passive
1.15% for JPM again heavily suggesting active

if you compare other retail funds..vanguard funds cost 0.2-0.4% and are passive
and for example fundsmith 1.05% which is active

so id be pretty confident of the above

Active.

1599858905955.png

1599858970069.png

not sure why im always drawn to your posts..anyway i'll answer this for you and bog off

neither of these are retail funds, as the sedol number isnt recognised
going by the factsheets however:
JPM is investing in individual shares, and so by definition it must be active.
Future Focus on the other hand looks and states to holding passive 80% (mixture of Gilt and Non-Gilt) as well as corporate bond and a mixture of short and medium term gilts. I would doubt very much whether this fund was active at all.

neither state the actual instrument, not unusual for non-retail, and neither state the management of them
the costs can also be a giveaway however
0.5% for future focus also suggesting passive
1.15% for JPM again heavily suggesting active

if you compare other retail funds..vanguard funds cost 0.2-0.4% and are passive
and for example fundsmith 1.05% which is active

so id be pretty confident of the above

Thank you very much for the reply mate.
I would tend to agree with you.
However, I'm interested to see Rufus' reply to your question.

These are some of the funds I've been looking at for my pension.

Thank you very much for the reply mate.
I would tend to agree with you.
However, I'm interested to see Rufus' reply to your question.

These are some of the funds I've been looking at for my pension.
I am as well ;)
It says predominantly so you could argue if 90% was passive but only 10% was active, you would have to say active. however it could just be in cash..anyway i guess aviva could ultimately tell you
Rufus he is a resourceful b*stard i'll give him that
one question though. why would it make a difference if it were active or passive? honestly just curious
i tend to look at performance as the main criteria and then whether the charge warrants the performance, depending on what my needs were.
you are wisely choosing a mix of equity and gilts

one question though. why would it make a difference if it were active or passive? honestly just curious
i tend to look at performance as the main criteria and then whether the charge warrants the performance, depending on what my needs were.
you are wisely choosing a mix of equity and gilts

Generally speaking, I would like to know as much as possible before I put my money into it.

I am not keen on passive funds... not when I see another crash on the horizon.
Passive funds will just buy when I give it money; regardless of the price or if the market is overvalued.

I would like more thought about value when someone is buying and selling things for me :)

Passive funds track the index very well... which is fine in the early and mid stages of a bull market.
Not so good at the end however, as it will track it very well... to the downside :)

Generally speaking, I would like to know as much as possible before I put my money into it.

I am not keen on passive funds... not when I see another crash on the horizon.
Passive funds will just buy when I give it money; regardless of the price or if the market is overvalued.

I would like more thought about value when someone is buying and selling things for me :)

Passive funds track the index very well... which is fine in the early and mid stages of a bull market.
Not so good at the end however, as it will track it very well... to the downside :)
got you, i guess you could be the "active" part, if you're able to enable the switch in these workplace pensions
some allow you to, but they can also take a long time to execute
I've seen really poor active funds, were they attribute active to just quarterly rebalancing
and then of course there are great active funds, fundsmith and terry smith being a case example
good luck anyway

got you, i guess you could be the "active" part, if you're able to enable the switch in these workplace pensions
some allow you to, but they can also take a long time to execute
I've seen really poor active funds, were they attribute active to just quarterly rebalancing
and then of course there are great active funds, fundsmith and terry smith being a case example
good luck anyway

Yeah, I have unlimited switches and they have it switched in 1 to 3 days.

I have been active with my pension so far.
I managed to side step the March crash and limit my losses to 3%. However, I didnt forsee/trust such a turn around and didnt get back in for the ride up...

I need to find another fund that is similar to both of the ones I posted. I'd like to keep the same level of exposure to those sectors, but put my eggs in more baskets.

That document Rufus posted will come in quite useful. It reads easier than what I was using

where do you get active for the fund of fundd

you can have passive fund of funds...this one states it may invest in both, but the aim is predominantly passive. you think active?

I was thinking someone has to pick the funds in the fund of funds. But I guess it could be based on some formula that could make it passively-managed. The document doesn't say, so there is no way to tell for sure.