Anyone use very tight stop losses successfully?

Another Lucky Trade!

Gee, I'm lucky...considering I trade with tight stops :-0

Not a great profit but never scorn a profit!

Market now @878.25...better luck next time...

3 lucky trades in a row now...with tight stops...

Attachments

• 27-10-2008.bmp
    1.2 MB · Views: 169
here ya go.....

Attachments

• v_medals_big.jpg
    v_medals_big.jpg
    41.4 KB · Views: 206
i use a 20pt stop but that is based on my trading plan and what you are trading.
ie i would not use 20pt stop on Rio but i would on the DAX. if i am trading the YM ( which i dont ) i would need a 50-100pts due market conditions.....

Last edited by a moderator:
3 lucky trades in a row now...with tight stops...

lol, thought u'd unsubscribed

well done on the 2 latest trades, more like it.

the lucky comments, as u well know, were directed at your long scalp at the lock limit. im not being over dramatic when i say this is the worst trade from a risk management perspective i have seen on any trading forum, by anyone........ever.

I use extremely tight stops. Consequently my ratio of profitable to losing trades is terrible, but I make up for it with their average sizes.

Problem with such a strategy is that it isn't to the tastes of many people. When I started I found it psychologically very difficult to deal with the long runs without a win.

Stops - the most difficult issue in trading, at least IMHO.

How tight your stops are, surely is dependant on how good entries are. Attached is a chart of this mornings Aussie API with an example of a very good entry where a very tight stop would have been appropriate. No - I didn't take the trade - I was out this morning. I don't believe that there is any dichotomy between tight stops and logical stops. Trades should only be taken where tight stops are appropriate.

The chart is a constant volume 50 contracts per bar. The black line on the price plot is VWAP. The second from top plot is a smoothed "market delta" - difference between trades executed at ask and at the bid. Third plot from top is smoothed "order book delta" - the ratio all contacted offered in the book (5 levels) to all contracts in the book (10 levels). The latter has a range 0 to 1.

Lower plot shows a couple of smoothed CCIs.

Notice the change in supply and demand during the bounce off the VWAP. Number of trades at the ask rises sharply as does the number of contracts offered. Remember that markets generally move to liquidity.

VWAP is an important S/R point for many SIFs. The CCIs are oversold, and for most of the preceeding period the high order book delta is indicative of a bullish market.

Put all of these together and it seems clear that a tight stop is very appropriate.

For anybody taking the drivel on the TRO threads seriously, compare and contrast this chart to the rubbish over on those threads.

Well, I would post the chart, but for reasons unknown, the damned thing won't upload. It is a PNG file - only about 25K in size. If any mod is reading this, could you follow this problem up please.

PS tried two different browsers and have had no problem with PNG files previously.

PS PS Coverted to jpeg and still won't upload.

PS PS PS Converted to bmp and also no go.

Possibly there is something wrong with my account - every time I log on it insists my email address is invalid (it isn't and has never been changed).

Looks like my last post was a wate of time.

Last edited:
D do try and post that chart sounds interesting mate :)

I have been trying on another PC, and have posted a complaint in the feedback forum. Even had a look at whats going on over the wire using Wireshark, but can't see anything obviously amiss.

I have been trying on another PC, and have posted a complaint in the feedback forum. Even had a look at whats going on over the wire using Wireshark, but can't see anything obviously amiss.

can you post it on a website, like photobucket and give us a weblink instead? i'm keen to see too.

Very interesting topic but finding it difficult, to understand without a chart.
Possibly! a screen print file until the issue can be sorted out.

I use extremely tight stops. Consequently my ratio of profitable to losing trades is terrible, but I make up for it with their average sizes.

Problem with such a strategy is that it isn't to the tastes of many people. When I started I found it psychologically very difficult to deal with the long runs without a win.

Do u trade cable , how much tight your stoploss and how much your profit target ,do u mind to give an example ?

Do u trade cable , how much tight your stoploss and how much your profit target ,do u mind to give an example ?

No, this is on the Dow. Normally around 25pts.

However, I haven't been using this particular strategy since August for obvious reasons (although surprisingly it would still have been profitable!).

No, this is on the Dow. Normally around 25pts.

However, I haven't been using this particular strategy since August for obvious reasons (although surprisingly it would still have been profitable!).

Thanks , on which r:r ratio u trade ?

Sorry, just realised that I forgot to answer that originally.

Averages out at around a 5:1 ratio of profit:stop size (all losing trades hit the stop).

Last edited: