Anyone tried ActiveQuant?

canterburry

Hi,

I have over the last year spent some time getting familiar with ActiveQuant (activequant.org). I am a software engineer by trade so programming is no problem, its the finance stuff I find challenging.

Has anyone tried this software? You pretty much need to be a very proficient programmer but if you got that, the sky is the limit as to what you can do. I am not using it for anything live yet but I wanted to see if anyone here had tried it out and had any good/bad experiences?

Thanks
-HC

Hi,
Are there any web or desktop apps that actually use the ActiveQuant framework that you are aware of?

It looks interesting, and I have been working as a developer with java and web based portfolio apps - and would be interested in seeing what it can do

Cheers,

T

I am not familiar with any UI apps that uses this code. One of the founders works for a hedge fund in Europe and I believe they developed the code for their own uses and then made it open source. With AQ you don't get a canned trade system but it gives you most tools you need to automate any trade system you can think of...if you know how to code.

Hello,

I had once to review the source code of the "activequant" when the trading company I was working for decided to hire the founder of that project. Despite the outcome of the review (unusable code) he was hired and I had the unfortunate event of having to personally work with him.

I seriously doubt such source code has ever been used in any production trading system, it is the biggest spaghetti ever. You can browse and review the code in cvs following links from this page http://www.activestocks.de/?q=node/210 At most you will find some bits of wisdom or small utilities but not much more than that.

In my personal opinion, that project only helps the guy to get a job in trading companies and after they realize the scam (slow process, this is EU) and he has done enough damage then they let him go, but there are many trading companies so ... he keep selling his empty box.

HTH,
Best regards,
Giovanni

Dear Giovanni,

that you were fired is not a result of me, but of you.

Your development skills are in principle very good, but do you still tend to overengineer things as in the project where we worked together ?

Please also work on your character, your interpersonal communication skills are still underdeveloped. Read this (maybe it helps, but with your ignorant and overly self convinced character I doubt it), if you argue very badly and personally with everybody that you work with (and have worked with during your time in the company) and if you tell everybody how bad their stuff is and how superior yours is (which is honestly just your perception, we all really wonder why you sticked on to that all the time ...), you shouldn't be surprisedto get kicked out at some point, that's a hint from your ex-colleague.

Kind regards.

P.s. I am still in the same company and your project has been kicked into the bin with great appraisal from everybody who had a look. Mind that the first thing I did when you left, was to reduce the codebase by about 70% by removing all distribution stuff and by replacing it with an already existing software package. Instead of bragging and pushing, better learn to simplify... "Simplify your life" is a good book I warmly recommend to you.

Last edited:
I'm a software developer with about 12 years experience and it was way to complicated for me.

If it had a layer on top of it to simplify everything then it might be usable but I couldn't figure out what to do with it - imagine a 1000 page manual to write hello world.

No offence Uls, its just how I found it.