Anybody using PDA or Smartphone for trading?

Kennard

As I can not sit in front of pc all the time I am considering to try use PDA or Smartphone while I am not at home.
What type of connection would I need ?Can I open/close trade on Smartphone?

Every help will be appreciated.Thanks.

Jan

Kennard,

to use a pda to trade you can take one of two routes that I know of.

First is to use wi-fi. This can be free if you are in a free wi-fi zone or you can pay a subscription (Telstra is $10 hour!!) but you still need to be in a 'hot spot'

The other alternative is the gsm telephone network by hooking up gprs. This allows you to be connected to the internet all the time and only pay for information you download. I use this with my blackberry device but anything from the web is expensive to access.

Your best bet (imho) is to go the wi-fi route with a fixed plan. You won't have access all the time depending on where you are but you will get better speed and in Sydney CBD shouldn't be a problem.

Cheers

AT

Thanks Aussietrader,

I am with AAPT now.What exactly shall I ask AAPT? Whether they provide internet access through wi-fi?

Second option.Is this Smartphone you talking about?How much can I expect to be charged?

This PDA or Smartphone will be used for trading only.When I will be away (beach,park) all I want to do is check market and enter trade .I really dont have an idea how much will I pay for time I will be connected.

Sorry, if I dont understand some obvious things but I am novice on this technical field.

regards,

Jan

Last edited:
Hi again,

smartphone would use gprs (i think). I use that on my blackberry and every time i hit a website it costs a couple of dollars. Not good value let me tell you!

Aapt might offer a gprs package. That is what you should ask for. Probably $XX month for XX mb of data. Vodafone have an offer of loads of data for $50 or so per month.

A lot of new pda's offer wifi. I had XDA2 that offered it and worked really well. There are packages about for that too...some of the global ones are the best...something like 10c minute with no minimum but the limitation is you need to be in wi-fi area which is not as good a coverage as gprs.

Personally, I would go with wifi as gprs is slow and expensive (even though coverage is better). Do a search on wi-fi australia providers. There will be loads to choose from.

AT

Last edited by a moderator: