Anybody know of a good charting program?

Mr. Crabs

Established member
The broker defaulted programs aren't cutting it for me. Anyone know of a charting program that has real time to the tick? I also need it to have the ability to chart single currencies by themselves in relation to the market. For example I would like to be able to see the chart for the EUR / USD by the tick, as well as a chart for the EUR by itself and the USD by itself that updates by the tick.

Can somebody please help me?:?:
:!:

I downloaded some demos but I still can't find a decent program.

Anyone have a favorite program?

Does anyone even use charting software outside of their basic broker defaulted program?

I downloaded some demos but I still can't find a decent program.

Anyone have a favorite program?

Does anyone even use charting software outside of their basic broker defaulted program?

Hi,

I use the Advanced Charts through my IG Index & IG Markets account which are basically ProRealtime and MetaTrader with my Alpari SB account.

ProRealtime - I have used for a while. I found it easy to learn how to code indicators, backtesting, screeners etc. I use it more for long term (EOD) strategies but that's more because I prefer to use an EA on shorter term trading.

Metatrader4 - It took a bit of getting used to but I like the aesthetics and if you learn how to code it is very adaptable but I don't have the time (or patience) to learn how to code indicators and EA's. I either search forums or I found a guy in the US who's fee's are pretty low and he codes things if there is anything I can't find for free. I use MT4 for short term (5 Min - 1 Hr) strategies.

I think Ninja trader is meant to be good but I've never used it so can't comment.

Hope that is of some use.

Cheers.

The broker defaulted programs aren't cutting it for me. Anyone know of a charting program that has real time to the tick? I also need it to have the ability to chart single currencies by themselves in relation to the market. For example I would like to be able to see the chart for the EUR / USD by the tick, as well as a chart for the EUR by itself and the USD by itself that updates by the tick.

On Dealbook 360 by GFT you can certainly chart the EUR / USD by the tick.
Not sure what you mean "a chart for the EUR by itself"

Hi
I Use Thomson Reuters Meta Stock. In fact take a look at a website called Forex Trading tv that uses the Reuters charts for all their technical analysis. I think Reuters Will be great, News + Analysis. They have a retail product specifically for forex.

Cheers

try netdania.com //best for me, free.
try proRealtime.com // Free+paid.

Hi,

I use the Advanced Charts through my IG Index & IG Markets account which are basically ProRealtime and MetaTrader with my Alpari SB account.

ProRealtime - I have used for a while. I found it easy to learn how to code indicators, backtesting, screeners etc. I use it more for long term (EOD) strategies but that's more because I prefer to use an EA on shorter term trading.

Metatrader4 - It took a bit of getting used to but I like the aesthetics and if you learn how to code it is very adaptable but I don't have the time (or patience) to learn how to code indicators and EA's. I either search forums or I found a guy in the US who's fee's are pretty low and he codes things if there is anything I can't find for free. I use MT4 for short term (5 Min - 1 Hr) strategies.

I think Ninja trader is meant to be good but I've never used it so can't comment.

Hope that is of some use.

Cheers.

IG markets looks good thanks I bookmarked it.

Also pro real time looks great thanks a lot bookmarked that as well.

IMHO it purely depends on you budget.CGQ is about £600pcm and esignal is about $80,both with exchanges fees to be added. The best free one is probably metatrader

Hi
I Use Thomson Reuters Meta Stock. In fact take a look at a website called Forex Trading tv that uses the Reuters charts for all their technical analysis. I think Reuters Will be great, News + Analysis. They have a retail product specifically for forex.

Cheers

I'm looking into it very nice.

Thanks a million.

IMHO it purely depends on you budget.CGQ is about £600pcm and esignal is about $80,both with exchanges fees to be added. The best free one is probably metatrader

I'm simply looking for the best program to suit my needs.

Price doesn't matter.

I've got almost 3 years to practice this before I open with real money.

No way I'm jumping in this before becoming completely confident and professional with my abilities.

I'll check those out.

Thanks.

I agree with Lord Flash above. I've used many different platforms over the years and settled with eSignal which I currently use. FWIW I believe eSignal now owns CQG.

Many traders fail because they don't have the proper tools for the job which is really a shame. The problem with the broker sponsored platforms is that they are really just a convince for their account holders. I guess at some point one broker rolled out a free charting platform and then the other brokers had to respond to compete. The problem with the broker platforms is that the brokers make their money from account holders commissions.

The dedicated non-broker charting packages have to stand on their own merit and by definition have to be value-added to retain customers. Bloomberg is the very best but is expensive and most traders don't need all the analytic.

eSignal IMHO is the best bang for the buck.

Rich

I agree with Lord Flash above. I've used many different platforms over the years and settled with eSignal which I currently use. FWIW I believe eSignal now owns CQG.

Many traders fail because they don't have the proper tools for the job which is really a shame. The problem with the broker sponsored platforms is that they are really just a convince for their account holders. I guess at some point one broker rolled out a free charting platform and then the other brokers had to respond to compete. The problem with the broker platforms is that the brokers make their money from account holders commissions.

The dedicated non-broker charting packages have to stand on their own merit and by definition have to be value-added to retain customers. Bloomberg is the very best but is expensive and most traders don't need all the analytic.

eSignal IMHO is the best bang for the buck.

Rich

I gotta admit eSignal does look pretty sweet.

Many traders fail because they don't have the proper tools for the job which is really a shame.
Hi Mr. Crabs,
Broadly speaking, I think most members would agree with the comment by Rich that I've quoted. But, I think it's worth adding the rider that there's no point paying silly money for a lot of bells and whistles you don't need and won't use. For end of day (EoD) traders, the free software provided by the likes of ProRealTime is often perfectly adequate - as is the brokers' own house software. At the opposite end of the scale, if you're trading fast 'n furious intra day, then the quality of the data is at least as important as the charting pachage itself. My advice is to get the package that's best suited to the job you want it to do. If you're a farmer, a beautiful new Ferrari (assuming you could afford one) is going be overlooked in favour of a 20 year old Massey Ferguson tractor for getting around the farm!
;)
Tim.

Hi Mr. Crabs,
Broadly speaking, I think most members would agree with the comment by Rich that I've quoted. But, I think it's worth adding the rider that there's no point paying silly money for a lot of bells and whistles you don't need and won't use. For end of day (EoD) traders, the free software provided by the likes of ProRealTime is often perfectly adequate - as is the brokers' own house software. At the opposite end of the scale, if you're trading fast 'n furious intra day, then the quality of the data is at least as important as the charting pachage itself. My advice is to get the package that's best suited to the job you want it to do. If you're a farmer, a beautiful new Ferrari (assuming you could afford one) is going be overlooked in favour of a 20 year old Massey Ferguson tractor for getting around the farm!
;)
Tim.

Absolutely I don't need many features but I do need every at least every feature on my 'checklist'. Esignal looks good, prorealtime looks good too I'll have to compare the two thanks again everyone this thread was a complete success I couldn't have done it without ya'll google was useless for this task .

You can open a paper trading account with Thinkorswim. It's called "Paper Money". They have just about everything on their platform, including the individual currencies you're asking about like the USD Index, Euro futures, Yen futures, etc. It's free too, and last I knew it never expired. I've heard people complain that some parts of it are not real time, but you can make it real time in the settings if it isn't real time by default. I'm pretty sure the charts themselves are real time by default though. Anyway it's worth looking into...

https://www.thinkorswim.com/tos/displayPage.tos?webpage=paperMoney

prorealtime is great but does not have High-Low chart functionality - anybody know any charting program out there that can plot high-low charts for me?

For stocks or forex?