Another trading game?

Steve you have my comments by PM and above .........keep it going ........and I ask all experienced traders here to comment and perhaps recommend any followers go and take a look.......

still not 100% about the rules.....and we need to ban postman for a week or so to let others have a chance.... :p

N

A game is a game and trading is serious.
However, a few simple games predicting the closing price of the DOW, the FTSE 100 and GBP/US$ at close on a Friday evening would attract a lot more posts and hits, especially with a small prize for the winner of each game. If people could be asked for an explanation of their prediction, all the better.

Good point but you'll be well aware of some of the acrimony that accompanied the more formal competition on previous occasions, because of the seriousness of our business. That's why I chose 'game' and tried to keep it very simple.

What does the site want though? Examples of good trades and traders or pin the tail on the DOW?

I get where you're coming form and dumbing it down to a level where even crap traders like me can participate is a good one, but what does this site want - quality content or quantity of traffic to hit the ad impressions?

It was actually the members who asked us to restart the 'competitions' although I have to admit that was some time ago. In terms of what the site wants, yes we need page views but if we were trying to get those through crap content I would open the floodgates and the site would be a very different place than it is now.

What does the site want though? Examples of good trades and traders or pin the tail on the DOW?

I get where you're coming form and dumbing it down to a level where even crap traders like me can participate is a good one, but what does this site want - quality content or quantity of traffic to hit the ad impressions?

I don't see why t2w can't have both, they are not mutually exclusive.
It's acrimony, rudeness, innuendo, lies and hostility that drove the good posters away.....and that is being addressed successfully at long last.
A comp should be fun and there's nothing wrong with that.
A quality newspaper like The Times has games for people with varying degrees of skill and knowledge and that doesn't detract from the quality of the news and articles. It's a broad church and so is t2w.
There's plenty of space here for serious threads and contributions.
Richard

So, here we are reaching the end of the first block of the trading game.

The question now is, should we do it again? So tell me, what worked and what did not work?

As you know we were really keen to keep it transparent and simple so it is disappointing that there was not as much participation as we had hoped.

This could of course be the same no matter what we do competition wise.

On a more upbeat note I think it all ran in good spirits and without any complaints, I may of course regret saying that.

Anyway, I don't have much else to say, it was your game so let us all know what you think.

Why dont you contact one of the bucketshops and say you want them to sponsor a prize(s) for a xmas T2W competition. They can then chuck in say 3 ipad mini's to the prize pool. The bucketshop can run demo account on their platform, in return for supplying the prizes they get our details for marketing. Everyone's a winner. Plenty of people here would love to batte it out for an ipad mini. :smart:

Why dont you contact one of the bucketshops and say you want them to sponsor a prize(s) for a xmas T2W competition. They can then chuck in say 3 ipad mini's to the prize pool. The bucketshop can run demo account on their platform, in return for supplying the prizes they get our details for marketing. Everyone's a winner. Plenty of people here would love to batte it out for an ipad mini. :smart:

Finspreads did something like that, years ago, with T2W. It came to a stop. I don't know why.

My suggestion involved getting a sponsor and the winner gets a day with a pro trader.

What were the actual issues with the old format out of interest??
Was is technology issues with the platform(forexdesk was it?) being used.

Sounds like Much more fun the old way. Live trading competition with decent prizes. There was a fair bit of banter from the looks of it, too.

1. Proper platform.
2. Quarterly competition duration.

I find the current competition quite insulting, almost trollish in nature. I'll show you all how to make money consistently, if T2W can get its act together.

1. Proper platform.
2. Quarterly competition duration.

I find the current competition quite insulting, almost trollish in nature. I'll show you all how to make money consistently, if T2W can get its act together.

Also, traders should be evaluated on risk, rather than just pip accumulation.

The Cable.jpg

My latest trade. I risk 6.25% within a 0.50 cent stop, accompanied by an initial 8.0 cent target. The Cable, retains solid fundamental and technical qualities.

f****n great! im gona catch the first plain get the fluck outa here!:LOL:

OK I think it is time to draw this to a close, thanks to those who have given feedback and also replied to my PM on the subject.

Where does this leave us?

1. Some form of game/compo will continue, probably starting December

2. The 'like' method of voting is flawed and we need a better set of 'rules' and voting mechanism/measure of results. If we even invite votes that is.
This i'll work on and let you know what's going to happen.

3. The jury is out on retrospective posting - some see it as an absolute outrage others as perfectly OK. I'm easy either way but I do have to seriously question if someone is really going to go to the trouble of posting a fake trade just to win something like this.

4. Sponsored prizes are seen as a good idea. I certainly agree but the days of the brokers being free and easy with their marketing spend are long gone. Definately worth a try but i'm not hopeful at the moment.

5. A real (demo) platform would be an asset. This might make 4) a more realistic option as there is more in it for the firm involved. We don't have one ourselves so without third party help this is not an option.

OK I think it is time to draw this to a close, thanks to those who have given feedback and also replied to my PM on the subject.

Where does this leave us?

1. Some form of game/compo will continue, probably starting December

2. The 'like' method of voting is flawed and we need a better set of 'rules' and voting mechanism/measure of results. If we even invite votes that is.
This i'll work on and let you know what's going to happen.

3. The jury is out on retrospective posting - some see it as an absolute outrage others as perfectly OK. I'm easy either way but I do have to seriously question if someone is really going to go to the trouble of posting a fake trade just to win something like this.

4. Sponsored prizes are seen as a good idea. I certainly agree but the days of the brokers being free and easy with their marketing spend are long gone. Definately worth a try but i'm not hopeful at the moment.

5. A real (demo) platform would be an asset. This might make 4) a more realistic option as there is more in it for the firm involved. We don't have one ourselves so without third party help this is not an option.

This is what fxstreet are running in conjunction with PriceMarkets another white label of LCG. So there are companies out there who are interested in tie ups with trading forums etc. Everybody wins.

In all honestly, we need to forget all the subjective trading mumbo jumbo and offer the members a level playing field where they can do battle across the same range of instruments.

http://pricemarkets.com/price-challenge/

lets keep something going .......from belows stats things are picking up (may 13 high) although the profile of the active base will have changed somewhat ....

and we need to get the guest conversion higher

N

Attachments

• T2win back.PNG
    T2win back.PNG
    30 KB · Views: 352