An alternative to Thinkorswim for the UK?

5lim3r

Hi,

Firstly, sincere apologies for starting a new thread on a topic that, I can only imagine, has been discussed countless times before. I promise I have searched but cannot seem to find a reasonable answer to my query, hence this thread.

I'm an absolute beginner trader just learning the ropes of day trading stocks. To that end I have taken quite a liking to Thinkorswim. I have been researching and learning as much as I can and have now hit a significant (I think) stumbling block.

In order to simulate trading I am using the TOS paper money. This means that the data feed is delayed by 20 minutes. I have got to the point where I want to set up a scan to catch stocks which are gapping up. To do this I need to do what TOS calls 'Adding a study filter' to my scan. The problem is, you can't do that without a live feed. And you can't have a live feed without a TDAmeritrade account. Oh, and you can't get one of those in the UK :rolleyes: (the TD Direct account doesn't work with TOS either).

So I a left a little frustrated that I cannot utilise all the features of a great platform like TOS from the UK.

This brings me to my question - can anyone recommend a similar application to TOS, that is accessible in the UK? Something that offers paper money and a fully featured environment? I know there are lots of platforms out there but I am specifically looking for something on a similar level to TOS.

Thanks for reading.

Hi,

Firstly, sincere apologies for starting a new thread on a topic that, I can only imagine, has been discussed countless times before. I promise I have searched but cannot seem to find a reasonable answer to my query, hence this thread.

I'm an absolute beginner trader just learning the ropes of day trading stocks. To that end I have taken quite a liking to Thinkorswim. I have been researching and learning as much as I can and have now hit a significant (I think) stumbling block.

In order to simulate trading I am using the TOS paper money. This means that the data feed is delayed by 20 minutes. I have got to the point where I want to set up a scan to catch stocks which are gapping up. To do this I need to do what TOS calls 'Adding a study filter' to my scan. The problem is, you can't do that without a live feed. And you can't have a live feed without a TDAmeritrade account. Oh, and you can't get one of those in the UK :rolleyes: (the TD Direct account doesn't work with TOS either).

So I a left a little frustrated that I cannot utilise all the features of a great platform like TOS from the UK.

This brings me to my question - can anyone recommend a similar application to TOS, that is accessible in the UK? Something that offers paper money and a fully featured environment? I know there are lots of platforms out there but I am specifically looking for something on a similar level to TOS.

Thanks for reading.

1. IB
2. Trade Station
3. Tasty Works

Number 3 is still in its infancy but is created by the Sosnoff spin off Tasty Trade so further down the line newer builds will mimic many of the ToS features

1. IB
2. Trade Station
3. Tasty Works

Number 3 is still in its infancy but is created by the Sosnoff spin off Tasty Trade so further down the line newer builds will mimic many of the ToS features
You mean
1. IG

Right?

As you said, there are lots of platforms... most brokers have their proprietary trading platform.
Similar to Thinkorswim, you have IB's platform, as well as the one from Saxo Bank, and XTB: you can check this article for a more complete description of each platform.