Am I too old for a job in FX?

spottrader54

Hi All,

Just after some advice.

Will be turning 27 this year, my aim is to secure a front office fx role, willing to start at the bottom and prove myself.

A little background about me, graduated with Economics and Statistics in 2004, over the past 4 years I've been working in the actuarial dept of a life insurer in NZ.

Recently arrived in London as the chances of landing a role in FX in London are much greater than back home (credit crunch and all!!).

I opened a demo account a while back and have been trading currencies with a simple strategy and keeping track of my results.

Just want to know if a career change into fx is realistic at my age? if so what would be the best way to approach this?

Thanks in advance.

thanks traderboi29

After a spot/ flow trader role in FX, realistically a role thats a stepping stone to a spot fx trader role.

Cheers!

No you're not too old by any chance. Some of the continental graduates like the Greek and Italians don't even finish uni until they are like 26.

thanks for the advice guys, I also plan to study for the SII Certificate in Securities and Derivatives which may help in an interview.

I'm a balance sheet trader at a major bank and I didn't get into this industry until I was 34.

It's not easy to enter the industry at any age and when you aren't a graduate, you usually can't go through the front door. Meet people in the industry, do your study, ask questions, build relationships and if the opportunity arises, chase it down for all it's worth.

I'm a balance sheet trader at a major bank and I didn't get into this industry until I was 34.

It's not easy to enter the industry at any age and when you aren't a graduate, you usually can't go through the front door. Meet people in the industry, do your study, ask questions, build relationships and if the opportunity arises, chase it down for all it's worth.

YOU GIVE US HOPE!

Too old for a job in fx?

Hmmm...The fitness tests are pretty stringent.

What level can you get to on the bleep test?

Whats your resting pulse rate?

How fast can you run the 100M?

Hi All,

Just after some advice.

Will be turning 27 this year, my aim is to secure a front office fx role, willing to start at the bottom and prove myself.

A little background about me, graduated with Economics and Statistics in 2004, over the past 4 years I've been working in the actuarial dept of a life insurer in NZ.

Recently arrived in London as the chances of landing a role in FX in London are much greater than back home (credit crunch and all!!).

I opened a demo account a while back and have been trading currencies with a simple strategy and keeping track of my results.

Just want to know if a career change into fx is realistic at my age? if so what would be the best way to approach this?

Thanks in advance.

The best way to approach it: Hmmmm
Reality

Try in your covering letter to find aspects of your job that are compatible and can be used in the new industry you seek. What can you bring to the new job?
Reconciliations, sales experience and marketing can be used in the covering letter.
Also how did you assessed risk in you previous job.

The important point: is to make your new employer to think that he needs you more than you need him. I am sure London will give you the opportunity to do whatever you want, but you must be better than the next guy. Also your age is alright. BUT if you don’t make it by 30, there is no point trying, it is my opinion.

Apart from all the above try to network :) that always help.

Cheers

if you were 40, then yeah too old but 27 you should be fine. you're just about 6 years behind most people is all :)