Algorithms: When did you let it run without intervention?

trendie

Legendary member
Do you trade via an algorithm? EDIT: actually, its an EA!
Is it one you developed yourself?
How long before you let it loose on a live account?
Did you babysit it, before leaving it to itself?

I am at the babysitting stage, and like to be at screen watching the trades trigger, etc.
Need to get a feel for when I can just leave it running, and go off.
(mind you, I feel I should give a visual inspection of markets at 7am before hitting the GO button.
my algo isnt sophisticated enough to know when to stay away, or know the market is "a little off")

What was the pivotal point when you stepped back?

Hope you have your take profits and stop losses in place. These absolutely protect you from black swan spikes etc.

Do you trade via an algorithm? EDIT: actually, its an EA!
Is it one you developed yourself?
How long before you let it loose on a live account?
Did you babysit it, before leaving it to itself?

I am at the babysitting stage, and like to be at screen watching the trades trigger, etc.
Need to get a feel for when I can just leave it running, and go off.
(mind you, I feel I should give a visual inspection of markets at 7am before hitting the GO button.
my algo isnt sophisticated enough to know when to stay away, or know the market is "a little off")

What was the pivotal point when you stepped back?
small trade size such that any losses incurred won't hurt. This is the best way to test it while not needing to babysit

small trade size such that any losses incurred won't hurt. This is the best way to test it while not needing to babysit
Yep, I am well past that phase, quite a few years ago.
Well past testing, and account has grown comfortably.
I think it may be more that trading for me has been primary income recently, thats whats spooking me.
Normally, I wouldnt mind the fluctuations, as normally trading is a background task.

Maybe its a mental strength thing, more than algo stuff.
I need to stop caring about it, and let it do what it needs to do, and stop second-guessing myself, at this level.

Reactions: FXX
have more faith in your skills. so long as there are no holes in the code that can screw you. I would put all sorts of real-time alerts and a dashboard on my phone

Hi.

I run on one demo account before I let it run on small live account.

Maybe after 2-3 weeks I let it run own its own.

But everything depends if you know how the EA react to news.

My recent system made profits for 3 weeks and then lost them all in one day !
Can happen easily.
The system is binned !!

I desing and optimize my algos.
The algos heve been backtested on 6-10 years of hystorical data.
During backtests ther is no manual intervention so if you want the algo to profit in a way consistent to backtest you have to avoid any manual intervetion just like during backtests.
On 6-10 we have everything: elections, terrorists, natural disasters, central banks chairmen speechs....