Algorithmic trading

I'm gonna throw my 2 cents in here...

Firstly, timeframes are product specific. On contracts where there is a large proportion of the participants looking at each transaction, in combination with the DOM, I don't think the term "noise" is really appropriate as it is in other products - I mean, on some contracts, the market is examined so closely by the participants that each transaction (or non transaction, equally important) has some level of significance - this is the letter of the words analogy NT describes...

However, in other markets, it simply isn't possible to monitor each and every transaction (in OTC markets for example); in other markets, it IS possible, but the significance of individual transactions isn't as great... say, equities (as an example... no absolutely 0 about the mechanics of equity markets so can;t say whether this is actually the case)...

.. It's quite simple. In markets where discrete transactions happen, and can be disemminated in real time, the significance of each transaction is determined by the participants of the market - in the Bund, say, spoofs, trades etc... are significant in the markets because there are enough participants paying attention to them - ergo, there's no such thing as "noise". In FX, say, no one gives a sh!t, because the participants attribute little value to granular information ("noise").

The timeframe point is rather a moot one... in a market where each new transaction is important, a specific level on information can be collected in a much shorter time than one where it is only the aggregated information that is important. You can't say 5 min on the bund isn't important, if the participants are all watching it (because, with a constant stream of information that has some value, 5 mins is alot; in contrast to FX, where little value is attributed to each new transaction, it is only when transactions are aggregated that useful information can be determined).

________

As for algo trading.... It is unlikely that computers will take over the world. at the end of the day, a computer can only do what a human has told it to. Human's are a critical part of the process...

As Goose says, most of these algo's will be to take advantage of very small price discrepancies; the algo will not say to itself... "right, crudes about to break north, and the index futures are all approaching resistance... I'm gonna start bidding for the 10yrs and try to catch some of the flight to quality" (or whatever). They cant think, they can only excecute (consider all the other applications that Tomorrows World said computers would do for us - 20yrs later, and I still have to pay the cleaner to do the hoovering properly ;)).

That is not to say, though, that computers won;t change te way the markets are played... even now, with autospreaders and such, individual traders are getting computers to excecute increasingly complicated tasks on their behalf - but the comp still needs to be told what to do, it cant figure it out itself.

in short: If there is any discretion whatsoever in the approach to trading, humans are critical to doing it.

I'm gonna throw my 2 cents in here...

Firstly, timeframes are product specific. On contracts where there is a large proportion of the participants looking at each transaction, in combination with the DOM, I don't think the term "noise" is really appropriate as it is in other products - I mean, on some contracts, the market is examined so closely by the participants that each transaction (or non transaction, equally important) has some level of significance - this is the letter of the words analogy NT describes...

However, in other markets, it simply isn't possible to monitor each and every transaction (in OTC markets for example); in other markets, it IS possible, but the significance of individual transactions isn't as great... say, equities (as an example... no absolutely 0 about the mechanics of equity markets so can;t say whether this is actually the case)...

.. It's quite simple. In markets where discrete transactions happen, and can be disemminated in real time, the significance of each transaction is determined by the participants of the market - in the Bund, say, spoofs, trades etc... are significant in the markets because there are enough participants paying attention to them - ergo, there's no such thing as "noise". In FX, say, no one gives a sh!t, because the participants attribute little value to granular information ("noise").

The timeframe point is rather a moot one... in a market where each new transaction is important, a specific level on information can be collected in a much shorter time than one where it is only the aggregated information that is important. You can't say 5 min on the bund isn't important, if the participants are all watching it (because, with a constant stream of information that has some value, 5 mins is alot; in contrast to FX, where little value is attributed to each new transaction, it is only when transactions are aggregated that useful information can be determined).

________

As for algo trading.... It is unlikely that computers will take over the world. at the end of the day, a computer can only do what a human has told it to. Human's are a critical part of the process...

As Goose says, most of these algo's will be to take advantage of very small price discrepancies; the algo will not say to itself... "right, crudes about to break north, and the index futures are all approaching resistance... I'm gonna start bidding for the 10yrs and try to catch some of the flight to quality" (or whatever). They cant think, they can only excecute (consider all the other applications that Tomorrows World said computers would do for us - 20yrs later, and I still have to pay the cleaner to do the hoovering properly ;)).

That is not to say, though, that computers won;t change te way the markets are played... even now, with autospreaders and such, individual traders are getting computers to excecute increasingly complicated tasks on their behalf - but the comp still needs to be told what to do, it cant figure it out itself.

in short: If there is any discretion whatsoever in the approach to trading, humans are critical to doing it.

Can't rep you again, but excellent post...excellent.

Mr G, my definition of noise is that it is everything that can only be scalped for a point here and a point there, and where you can never build up real size for eventual liquidity issues.

Admittedly it is not noise for the scalper, but that is because he has a different objective from what he wants out of markets than the person wanting to keep compounding up to real size.

The scalper exchanges the potential for significant wealth that the person trading for big albeit infrequent moves goes after for what can be a very good and steady income targeting single points with a high hit rate.

As ever, depends on what you want from trading that chooses the trading style.

You make an incorrect assumption about what traders do and there is no such thing as 'noise'. There is someone in this forum pontificating about matters which he does not undertand, or even worse, matters that he does not understand that he does not understand. The result is he is misdirecting people and causing them to arrive at incorrect conclusions.

Consider a book. You read each word which is made up of letters. Each word is strung together to form a sentence, each sentence is strung together to form a paragraph, each paragraph is strung together to form a chapter and each chapter is strung together to form the complete story. Do you see?

Yes, you're right, I've clearly made an incorrect assumption about what traders do. In fact, I think I must have my head stuck up my **** because I sit in the same room as one of the biggest S&P traders in the world, anther listed among the 30 best traders in the world and many others making thousands a day and I've got no idea what they do. It never occured to me to ask them or even sit with them and take a look at what they look at and how they interpret it.

Once again, I perfectly understand what you are saying but I see the problem from another angle:

To you every transaction forms a complete story - to me its noise (as defined by BSD above). Does that mean that everything I say is BS?

I have to say, I'm clearly doing something right because I'm doing pretty well on my own accounts.

You think I'm unable to understand and I'm misdirecting people?

That's odd because the last time I looked I had a thread filling up with good traders calling successful moves.

Last edited:
I am planning to join a prop firm to start trading. As such I am very new to this. Lately, I have been doing my research about trading in general and have come to know that algorithmic trading is making a big impact in the financial makets and more than 80% of trades are expected to be Algo traded this year, resulting in a massive job cuts for traders, and this trend will continue in the coming months. And a time will come when traders would be wiped out!!! Please advice if it is advisable to go into full time trading as a career option or should I stay away. Thanks.

I still think the same patterns / statistical anomalies exist for the "higher timeframe" player to exploit. For example, look at how many pit session highs or lows are still set in the first half hour of trading.

It may be necessary to challenge some of the orthodoxies such as stop trailing (which these things seem to thrive upon), but a day trader or position trader aiming to take "chunks" out of the daily/weekly range rather than "ticks" should still be alright IMHO.

Joey

Reactions: BSD
....there is no such thing as 'noise'.

This statement is wrong. There are 100 years of research work on noise reduction of time series using various mathematical models. May I refer you to look into Theory of financial risk by J.P Bouchaud Cambridge University press. You can also look into his other work ( Mathematics of Derivative Securities ) to gain more insight on what noise is and how to reduce it for risk adjusted return ,,
There are many other noise reduction models totally different to Bouchaud's but I think there is a little point to get into them here.

Trader_Dante's post about smaller time frame and its disadvantages IMHO was spot on .

grey1

Maybe. But at least I am trading my own account.

Normally I dont respond to forums for obvious reasons, but can I have clarified whether the above "..at least i'm trading my own account.." refers to TD?

Apologies to all for being arrogant and using forums such as these in the right spirit, but believe me NT, his is the last P&L you'd want to question, I see it everyday.

regards

A brief description of what happened last Thursday might help me illustrate my point somewhat.

You might (if you had balls of steel) like to bet that the Dax has bottomed and we are going to put in a higher low on the daily TF and if you've got some serious size to do you will be needing to take your line in as the market is getting pushed agressively down.

On one day last week I personally watched a trader here slam the Dax, pushing it down through some major support levels. Now this guy who was net short kept noticing that someone was consistently bidding at supports to hold the market or accumulate his position and once he was hit he would reload and bid again.

So the trader I was watching had to offer it to him and then keep posting larger size to drive the market down further in an attempt to make him puke. I knew this is what he was doing because I heard the words coming out of his mouth, along with a string of other unrepeatable obscenities.

Now if you watch the order book, the T&S and you've got one eye on the charts you can use this to your advantage and take some ticks out of the market pretty painlessly when you can see you are on the same side as the selling pressure and the seller is not going to give up.

Now if that buyer couldn't absorb that amount of selling or suffer the fall then he was going to get ironed out (the fate of the day trader when you don't understand what you are doing or you do understand but there are bigger fish than you swimming in your pond)

However, if that buyer had a stop below the last swing low on the daily and he thinks the market is going to hold and find real support around this level, you think he gives a f*ck? Our trader was simple creating NOISE - albeit a bit of a cacophony - to a position trader.

Just a small aside, but all options, exotic or not, are priced assuming brownian motion of prices. That is to assume that the price will take a random walk about a point. That is surely noise isnt it? Another way of saying the same thing is that the prices, and virtually every pricing model commonly used, are a stochastic process - I wouldnt want to be the one that argues against that given the weight it holds!

After readng all the comments I am reminded of the time when people thought landing on moon was impossible...but it was done. Similarly, computer thinking like a man is very much on the cards, and I , for one, do not believe it is miles away. I feel such a thing to happen is just round the corner. Anyways, trading jobs are being cut in thousands due to Algo trading, and thats a fact. I guess I will have to decide on my own whether to give up my secure and quite ok paying job for a career in trading...becos once I go into trading there is no coming back, no U-turns.

By the way, it is for the first time that I have come across a slightly positive comment about trading...otherwise there was only negativity...almost everyone I chatted with adviced me to stay away from trading. No man, I am going into it...The worst would be that I have a nervous breakdown and die...Its a challenge I am willing to take. Thanks to all for your comments.

Anyways, trading jobs are being cut in thousands due to Algo trading, and thats a fact.

Whenever you come across someone that has lost their edge because of algo trading (there are many on Elite Trader) and consequently lost their job, ask them their style. I challenge you to find one that is NOT a scalper or uses 1, 3, 5m charts.

Yes, you're right, I've clearly made an incorrect assumption about what traders do. In fact, I think I must have my head stuck up my **** because I sit in the same room as one of the biggest S&P traders in the world, anther listed among the 30 best traders in the world and many others making thousands a day and I've got no idea what they do. It never occured to me to ask them or even sit with them and take a look at what they look at and how they interpret it.

Once again, I perfectly understand what you are saying but I see the problem from another angle:

To you every transaction forms a complete story - to me its noise (as defined by BSD above). Does that mean that everything I say is BS?

I have to say, I'm clearly doing something right because I'm doing pretty well on my own accounts.

You think I'm unable to understand and I'm misdirecting people?

That's odd because the last time I looked I had a thread filling up with good traders calling successful moves.

Trader_Dante,

Trust me when I say the comments about misdirecting people were NOT directed at you. I don't even read your threads.

It's clear from what you say that you have not understood what I mean. I think only the absolute minority will understand. But that's another story...twig birds etc...

But, what do I know? I only trade my own account...

Good trading to you.

If your style involves exploiting fairly simple short term opportunities (by which I mean fairly objective ones which can be programmed easily), of course computers are going to destroy you with their superior speed.

If your style involves being smarter than other human traders, then computers which are nearly as smart as humans shouldn't be a threat. (And most would argue that computers aren't nearly as smart as humans.)

Why don't people read what I write BEFORE commenting :rolleyes:

I never said anything about small timeframes or large timeframes. In fact I said timeframes are IRRELEVANT because the market is made up of a continuous stream of transactions. Do you see? Time is different to timeframe..:rolleyes:

To anyone who understands film or TV you will know that a moving pricture is made up of a series of still images being displayed many times per second in a sequence. You can't watch a movie in 1m, 5m, or 15m 'chunks' can you?

so what you're trying to do is convnince people that the way you see it is correct?

personally i count 5/10/15 ticks as noise as that's how i trade-i don't expect you to agree with that or disagree but that's how i see the market. if someone pays through the bid or the offer and takes it 3/4 ticks out of line, big whup....to me that is noise.

Why don't people read what I write BEFORE commenting :rolleyes:

I never said anything about small timeframes or large timeframes. In fact I said timeframes are IRRELEVANT because the market is made up of a continuous stream of transactions. Do you see? Time is different to timeframe..:rolleyes:

To anyone who understands film or TV you will know that a moving pricture is made up of a series of still images being displayed many times per second in a sequence. You can't watch a movie in 1m, 5m, or 15m 'chunks' can you?

what you see as a movie is after NOISE (FILTERED, REDUCATION ) other wise you would not enjoy the film and would actually lose the plot as far as the film is concerned.

Let me explain where you going wrong buddy .. Your argument is that every trade is a part of a JIG SAW and unless you don't put every bit together then you don't have a completed JIG SAW. In financial engineering we don't look at noise as essential part of the JIGSAW.. The JIGSAW is the RISK MODEL and TRUE orders ( Ice berg orders ) rule the order books . As a result a small trade cannot not skew the risk model and hence can be filtered to avoid complexity .

In terms of RISK and nothing more or less, short term dispersion ( noise ) has negative return and should be avoided.

As a trader you should hence mathematically avoid short time frame,, The conclusion of my argument is INTRA DAY TRADING IS DANGEROUS, RISKY and must be avoided let alone looking into 1.3 min chart.

The longer the time frame the sounder the mathematical model and lesser the uncertainty and hence lesser risk ,, lesser risk means lesser return hence the best Traders only do 30% in long run and not 1000 and 1000 of percentages naives want you to believe.

The reason I refered you to the two above books was just to direct you to SOUND RESEARCH WORK which leaves NO DOUBT on the NOISE TRADING and its consequences

Grey1

Last edited:

While humans are a critical part of the process, it really is not true to say that a computer can only do what a human has told it to. Machine learning allows autonomous machine behavior ie behavior not bound by a set of pre-programmed rules.

AITopics / MachineLearning

For example a trading system based on an artifical neural network predicting a trading signal is autonomous (unless you turn it off !). The rules are not specified by the human programmer and it is in fact impossible to ascertain what the rules exactly are. The ANN has determined its own rules though training (learning).

This is not to say that ANNs or any other form of AI are some holy grail of trading, but rather that the distinction between human and machine decision making is frequently overstated.

what you see as a movie is after NOISE (FILTERED, REDUCATION ) other wise you would not enjoy the film and would actually lose the plot as far as the film is concerned.

Let me explain where you going wrong buddy .. Your argument is that every trade is a part of a JIG SAW and unless you don't put every bit together then you don't have a completed JIG SAW. In financial engineering we don't look at noise as essential part of the JIGSAW.. The JIGSAW is the RISK MODEL and TRUE orders ( Ice berg orders ) rule the order books . As a result a small trade cannot not skew the risk model and hence can be filtered to avoid complexity .

In terms of RISK and nothing more or less, short term dispersion ( noise ) has negative return and should be avoided.

As a trader you should hence mathematically avoid short time frame,, The conclusion of my argument is INTRA DAY TRADING IS DANGEROUS, RISKY and must be avoided let alone looking into 1.3 min chart.

The longer the time frame the sounder the mathematical model and lesser the uncertainty and hence lesser risk ,, lesser risk means lesser return hence the best Traders only do 30% in long run and not 1000 and 1000 of percentages naives want you to believe.

The reason I refered you to the two above books was just to direct you to SOUND RESEARCH WORK which leaves NO DOUBT on the NOISE TRADING and its consequences

Grey1

Let me say this, just in case anyone has missed it or in case people still don't get it.

I DO NOT TRADE TIMEFRAMES! Short or long.
I DO NOT TRADE NOISE!
I AM NOT A SCALPER!

I trade when I get an indication to trade. I take everything into account and neglect nothing. I respect you for what you do Grey1 but I am not going wrong, at all. If I was I'd be joining your Trading forum to get lessons on how to trade. I am not, nor will I ever, and you can put me on record saying that.

Good trading to you.

Small time frames, bigger time frames, "noise", so called "random" movement.
It all ebbs and flows and the time divisions are purely arbitrary. Mainly their only significance is:
1. Self fulfilling e.g 5 min candle patterns being traded because they are "well known", e'g. bullish engulfing c'sticks.
2. If the time frames re-inforce one another then the significance might increase.
3. Market moving events at time points.

Look at any chart and try matching up 25 tick charts,(time independent), 1 min, 3 min, 5 min etc.
The intervals are arbitrary. That is why someone looking at the charts I post will sometimes think, "Why on earth did he exit that trade then? It looks as if it should have continued on in the same direction !"
The answer in very general terms is that there was an interruption to the "flow", or the strong potential to do so. Something changed. This is so in many ways, e.g., the trades themselves, how participants position themselves, and very often the overall sector or index changing direction.
Prices flow in tides, currents, eddies, whirlpools; detect direction and change of direction and you can profit on any "timeframe".
If you cannot be open about any method of trading and at least try and understand it, then ultimately it's only you who don't notice your working environment has changed....
If you denigrate the way others trade, PROVIDED they successfully trade consistently over a long period, of course, then your mind isn't open enough to other alternatives.
Ultimately closed minds are self destructive.
Richard