Advice on how to start my trading career ?

MrSweets

Hi, im a 23 year old economics student, in my last year for my bachelor's degree.
After that i either want to do a master or get a job as a trader for a hedge fund or other company.

But i don't know if i met the requirements.

As a side job i played poker to pay for my bills etc, that works very well. I think i can bring some of my poker skills into the trading business. Being able to handle stress , think rationally, do mathematics etc.

But like i said i don't really know if after i have my bachelor degree i can apply for such a job. since i don't really know much about trading.

So i would like to know what the requirements are, and if someone can give me some advice on what to do that would be great!.

cheers!

So: what do you trade, how do you trade it, etc?

Lots of poker players like trading and are attracted to it, but you'll find that most poker players are actually more of a "gambler" than you might think, and they get blown out quick in the trading world.

Apply to 100's of trading internships, or entry levels, and hope you get lucky. Other than that, be a trader already, be able to talk about trading like you know what you are talking about, and like you have had success. I don't really see any other way. The last ditch option is to join a prop shop or pay-to-learn-to-trade-our-capital system....

good luck

Trade on your own. If you don't have $$, do a virtual one. Best way to get the edge is to have results. It's a very straight industry. If you can prove yourself, you will succeed

Trade on your own. If you don't have $$, do a virtual one. Best way to get the edge is to have results. It's a very straight industry. If you can prove yourself, you will succeed

It's a very straight industry? You must be joking, it's the most corrupt and crooked industry in the world. Did you miss this weeks news about the missing $700 million in client funds at MF Global?

Probs best doing a masters/PHD. Better yet, do some research, find some reputable hedge funds, and ask them what you should do. Get a lot better answer then asking idiots on the internet.

My advice is to build dynamic income sources before going full time into trading. If you have income flows that are growing, as you learn to trade in the beginning year or two, you will feel a lot more relaxed. I added several dynamic income sources as i was trading and that made all the difference in the world. Solidify income flows first, learn to trade second. (y)

open a demo account with any broker and start to play to see if you understand the whole thing if not you can learn what you need everything is on the internet )

Pick a hedge fund from the phone book. Ring up and ask for human resources and pick their brains.

If you really want to be a trader, a masters won't give the edge. However a year of research into the markets and demo trading might. You will save a fortune in tuition fees as well.
I also agree with Neil, I would add though - pick a few. Why not even ask them for an internship?