Advice for getting a job in trading

Status
Not open for further replies.
NNIT - I know this may sound obvious, but buy an Alevel Economics text book, read through cover to cover, although it wont give you true market knowlledge your understanding of fiscal policy and effects will definately benefit.

Trader Dante - great thread! Definately a great help for a newbie like myself.

Trader Dante, after reading this thread over a few times, looking at the job adverts and the effect of the credit crunch, I have decided to cut my losses and enrol in university starting next academic year, hopefully either economics and finance or money management and finance. By time I graduate the market should have picked up, I will have had the time to actively trade, and have a degree to my name as well. Hopefully with my SII unit 1 & 4, a degree and some real experience I should stand well to get a job at a decent firm.

Unfortunately I'm graduating this year :(

Oh well, I'll hide out in a government job with flexitime and learn to trade while doing some swing trades of my own. Hopefully I'll get enough experience and/or reasonable trading history to apply to a prop shop in 1-2 years.

Trading is a job in trading. So, if you want a job in trading hire yourself!

jj

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

is that how you did? :)
if it is I will believe is possible

Very interesting thread! Nice one TD as usual!
So, if some one is interested in getting a job in prop/ arcade then having a 6/8 months track record of profitably managing his own trading account will put him in a better position. Thanks for this great insight. So, I know now what i have to do, I am already on my 4 month concecutive month with compounded profit, lets see where I can lead to..I dont have any 1st tier uni graduations though..
Has anyone recently applied with just these records to good prop houses in london? Just wanted your views because now a days getting a job is almost impossible as more and more companies are firing staffs..Is it same with prop houses, becoz there is no relation with their business and current economic condition just my opinion as long as they have a good MM and in most cases they should have.
Cheers!

Do you guys have any recommended prop firms that may hire without having degrees and also without requiring you putting up your own money? Seems like most of the prop shops require a 4 year degree of some sort with high level math etc. TD and apmf, do you guys have any recommended prop shops that fit this bill, seems like you both were able to get in by showing your ability rather than having to have the degrees and tests scores. Any input would be appreciated!

Do you guys have any recommended prop firms that may hire without having degrees and also without requiring you putting up your own money? Seems like most of the prop shops require a 4 year degree of some sort with high level math etc. TD and apmf, do you guys have any recommended prop shops that fit this bill, seems like you both were able to get in by showing your ability rather than having to have the degrees and tests scores. Any input would be appreciated!

Im sure a prop shop would be more interested in a candidate who has been trading for 4 years one that has gone to uni and learnt about strategies that DONT work (and not learning about ones that do work).

But after 4 years of trading you shouldnt really need to work for anyone anyway....

Very interesting thread! Nice one TD as usual!
So, if some one is interested in getting a job in prop/ arcade then having a 6/8 months track record of profitably managing his own trading account will put him in a better position. Thanks for this great insight. So, I know now what i have to do, I am already on my 4 month concecutive month with compounded profit, lets see where I can lead to..I dont have any 1st tier uni graduations though..
Has anyone recently applied with just these records to good prop houses in london? Just wanted your views because now a days getting a job is almost impossible as more and more companies are firing staffs..Is it same with prop houses, becoz there is no relation with their business and current economic condition just my opinion as long as they have a good MM and in most cases they should have.
Cheers!

4 profitable months is enough at least to get an interview

and dont be afraid to apply, prop firms want people who can be profitable and pay at least there desk fees ;)

Hey guys
Just came across this thread. wonderful stuff. thanks in advance for all your time and efforts in order to give us newbies some more info about the financial markets. I have recently finished my masters in aerospace engineering (not name dropping, just saying I'm quite good in maths ;)!) and also got my bachelors in the same subject last year from university of manchester.
I got introduced to FX market couple of years ago and to be honest, it gave a new meaning to my life. I took some short courses back then and started trading demo and then real money just about 2 years ago. Since then I have learnt a lot about trading and took more advanced courses to help me with my trading. last year I managed to book a very decent profit which helped paying a lot of credit cards bills (student life, eh?!) and purchase of a nice car!
Since I finished uni I have been thinking of getting a job in the city as a trader (mainly to gain more experience in the field) and after few years of successful trading hopefully move towards hedge funds. Many traders or course teachers have told me it is almost impossible to get any sort of trading job at the moment and also despite having a Masters, my 2.2 bachelors degree is not something investment firms would be ok with.
So just to sum up, Ive got about 2 years of private trading experience, some formal education in markets and couple of decent degrees but not sure if these would be enough for employers at the moment.
I would really appreciate any comments or guidance from you guys as Im well confused at the moment.
Sorry about the long post. hope you get to read this bit ;)
Cyrus

I was wondering how people bankrolled themselves in order to start trading.

My situation is I'm in a new job right out of uni. Assuming things go to plan (ha!) I should be able to save around AUD$10k by the end of the year. The problem is given my interest lies in swing trading futures contracts (due to time constraints mostly), there is no way from what I can see to finance even a single contract in a mature index/commodity and maintain a sane margin (invest no more then 30% of my bankroll).

So any tips? Having a P/L is great for an interview but any advice on how I get the seed money?

Hi, thanks very much for the post. I'm just wondering do you really have to be able to answer 1457 X 19 in 8 seconds to apply for a trader position?

Status
Not open for further replies.