A sad,sad state of affairs....

ChartMan

Legendary member
Out of all the 2,500 or so ftse stocks, only 18 had an RSI crossing up through 32 today!!!!
Over 1900 exhibited a turnround to the downside....
Is this depressing or what.....
An accurate reflection of the current situation I would say.

Chartman - just about to post a new thread on similar lines, except when I tried to go back a page, the text disappeared! (Help Sharky!)

Actually, my new thread was going to be called "Will the dam break this time".

About 10 days ago, we were in a similar situation, with many equities not only at 52week lows, but at support levels which if broken, would potentially mean freefall. That time we pulled back, by a mixture of bargain hunters, and hopes of a fed cut.

Now, with indices at even lower levels, things look blacker. The hopes of a fed cut are decreased, following better than expected data from the US last week, showing that they were actually nowhere near recession. Secondly, further job cuts from Intel etc may make the same bargain hunters optimistic of more falls, with better value to be obtained at a lower price.

So will the dam break this time? I have a feeling it might. Do others share this view?

For me, I am not fearful , (as I do this all out of fun, though I am starting to feel a bit of a masochist!). However, I am getting depressed when all that I touch turns to rust!

Hope you are doing better than me out there,
Mark

Uncle,

I can't see the bottom yet and there is no limit to how far it can fall.

Stocks are now falling through support levels and breaking out downwards. Today was bad for Energis which has (I think) closed well below its long term support level and there are breakouts a plenty in the software sector.

Volatility is going to increase as we approach Friday (triple witching day again) when big institutions will ensure that the indicies close at the right value (wish i knew what it is!) .

I feel that it is too early for capitulation. There are simply too many bulls on the sielines with too much money. However there is no doubt in my mind that the trend is down and we haven't hit the bottom yet!

Darth.

Worked my nuts off today to lose £200 ( a good day!)

I've never tried so hard to lose money - Strange!!!

Could have made a reasonable profit but you just can't turn your back for two seconds.

B*st*rd Market Manipulators are the ENEMY !!!

I reckon you'd be safer lending a second hand car dealer 50 quid or have more chance of getting an Estate Agent to tell the truth.

Volatility is a nightmare - Dow was at 1pmET = 10121 (-87) within half an hour = 10216 (+7)

IT'S A JUNGLE OUT THERE!!!!

Cookie - "I've never tried so hard to lose money"

You should try farming, trading is an easy way to loose money!

Oggie

Last edited:
Bump...htf will anyone of the 'do the right thing' muddled class, or ordinary working folk have a pension?

n-n-n-n-n-n-n-NECRO

just putting it out there... srsly 10 year old thread and you necro it...

although you do have a point, what's happening now is massive wealth destruction that will undoubtedly have negative consequences for consumption and production (read income) for many years

investors in a number of finance companies that went bust here (NZ) have been on the news interviewed, they're pensioners and now have absolutely no savings to spend on consumption goods

i'd hate to be old and have a retirement plan consisting of mostly equity instruments right now

n-n-n-n-n-n-n-NECRO

just putting it out there... srsly 10 year old thread and you necro it...

although you do have a point, what's happening now is massive wealth destruction that will undoubtedly have negative consequences for consumption and production (read income) for many years

investors in a number of finance companies that went bust here (NZ) have been on the news interviewed, they're pensioners and now have absolutely no savings to spend on consumption goods

i'd hate to be old and have a retirement plan consisting of mostly equity instruments right now

The ftse is where it was ten years back. Most pensioners are fooked. Noticed the old thread as it was prompted by t2w's little search algo which brings up simlar thread titles to current ones.

It is over 1000 points lower than 10 years ago depending on what time of year in 2001 you are looking at. Equities as a pension investment are a waste of time in my view but there are other options.

Paul

It is over 1000 points lower than 10 years ago depending on what time of year in 2001 you are looking at. Equities as a pension investment are a waste of time in my view but there are other options.

Paul

Correct, again my interest was piqued due to the mention of the ftse back in 2001 about to crash through 5500. And again, at the risk of having to explain things three times for the very hard of thinking, as it stands now and given how most pension fund managers only invest in the ftse 100, pensioners have been having their dicks pulled by the Ponzi scheme pedlars for another ten years..

Correct, again my interest was piqued due to the mention of the ftse back in 2001 about to crash through 5500. And again, at the risk of having to explain things three times for the very hard of thinking, as it stands now and given how most pension fund managers only invest in the ftse 100, pensioners have been having their dicks pulled by the Ponzi scheme pedlars for another ten years..

Depends if you've got the equities in your fund for income or growth. The dividends have kept on rolling in.