30% - 70%

I use it to fill time but really don't get any value from it these days. It used to have interesting people and topics. I'm not saying you all aren't interesting. I just don't find any value in journals or beginner topics.

Trading journa'sl benefits are for the op himself , its a good practice it helps .

Trading journa'sl benefits are for the op himself , its a good practice it helps .

And for the other members imo

It's always good to exchange trading ideas, approaches etc. If it's a good journal I like to follow it and maybe learn something, or just to see various trading styles out of curiosity

I am in favour of people showing how they do things. The problem is context and content in journals (in general, not all). Some people just call out trades. How anyone is going to learn anything from that is beyond me. I really don't understand the point of it besides having something to prove and even that is sad because after all, how many people here know people personally (what are they trying to prove in other words).

Some journals go into more detail but are segmented into 2 categories. The first are the ones that state things like if price gets to this level then next level is this or if price gets there then something else. Not sure if this is really useful to anyone.

The other category is the ones that define more precise details like orders charts and levels. These do a better job but I still don't think they give value (maybe to a new trader) . That being said, trading is personal. I could teach 100 people how I do things and there will still be 100 different opinions on the same information. Sure you might learn something new but is that information going to make you a better trader or add a spanner to the works and make things worse.

It's going to be different for everyone obviously. For me at least I never found value in others ideas. I spent years in the beginning trying to do this and only found my way when I threw it all out and built my own way of doing things. I still spend every Sunday looking at different ideas and testing those ideas on historical data and a live micro account on the side.

I am in favour of people showing how they do things. The problem is context and content in journals (in general, not all). Some people just call out trades. How anyone is going to learn anything from that is beyond me. I really don't understand the point of it besides having something to prove and even that is sad because after all, how many people here know people personally (what are they trying to prove in other words).

Some journals go into more detail but are segmented into 2 categories. The first are the ones that state things like if price gets to this level then next level is this or if price gets there then something else. Not sure if this is really useful to anyone.

The other category is the ones that define more precise details like orders charts and levels. These do a better job but I still don't think they give value (maybe to a new trader) . That being said, trading is personal. I could teach 100 people how I do things and there will still be 100 different opinions on the same information. Sure you might learn something new but is that information going to make you a better trader or add a spanner to the works and make things worse.

It's going to be different for everyone obviously. For me at least I never found value in others ideas. I spent years in the beginning trying to do this and only found my way when I threw it all out and built my own way of doing things. I still spend every Sunday looking at different ideas and testing those ideas on historical data and a live micro account on the side.

1. I am not here to make friends. Meeting interesting people is an added benefit but it should not be your goal. If it is your goal, then you should just join Facebook.

2. You said that you have no interest in beginner topics, which is a cop out statement. It is also rather pretentious. If you are so advanced, why don't you start some so-called advanced topic threads? If everyone is so beneath you, why do you stay here? It sounds like what you really need and want is just plain old social interaction.

3. You said that nobody can learn anything if you just call out trades. A trading journal usually has two main purposes. The first is for the benefit of the OP as tar said. Secondly, it is for posting trading activity and not necessarily for creating private cliques or being a mentor.

I have a journal.

Often I explain visually in details despite the outcome why I entered and why I exit, what was my risk and my gain/loss together with my thoughts, pain, joy, all in a subtle way.

Sometime I make live calls (not in advance).:devilish:

I never encourage others to follow my way but to find theirs where taking a trade becomes effortless.

I see it as a sign of generosity letting others reading my thoughts which are very personal.

If others can gain something about it I am happy about it.

I also grew as a trader through my journal.

I believe if others would do the same this would be a better forum.

Last edited:
I know they are a benefit. What I don't see is any benefit in making it public

Another argument ?

Trading journals have alot of benefits because they are made public especially for the op .

1. I am not here to make friends. Meeting interesting people is an added benefit but it should not be your goal. If it is your goal, then you should just join Facebook.

2. You said that you have no interest in beginner topics, which is a cop out statement. It is also rather pretentious. If you are so advanced, why don't you start some so-called advanced topic threads? If everyone is so beneath you, why do you stay here? It sounds like what you really need and want is just plain old social interaction.

3. You said that nobody can learn anything if you just call out trades. A trading journal usually has two main purposes. The first is for the benefit of the OP as tar said. Secondly, it is for posting trading activity and not necessarily for creating private cliques or being a mentor.
1) it's a personal choice and nothing that concerns you.

2) Again nothing to do with you. Do you think everyone on here needs to have a journal, scratch each others back, and be a role model participant? If I decide to share my ideas then it's my choice not a requirement. The purport of your remarks "everyone is beneath me" is your opinion, I haven't promulgated it.

3) what additional benefit does a public journal have over one that is kept private? Wait don't answer that because I really am not interested.

3) what additional benefit does a public journal have over one that is kept private? Wait don't answer that because I really am not interested.

Apparently you are . Anyway there is a huge difference between trading privately and publicly its not rocket science .

You have promulgated that idea. Calling them beginner topics is pretentious.
You really need to use words in the right context. Just because I have covered topics dozens of times and feel uninterested, doesn't mean I am pretentious. I don't make any claims or state that I am better than anyone else. Being pretentious would require those elements. As far as I am concerned, you have been the one portraying me in this light. Get over it.

Apparently you are . Anyway there is a huge difference between trading privately and publicly its not rocket science .
Writing it down publicly doesn't change the fact that you would have made those trades exactly the same way if you didn't.

Perhaps you are referring to reputation. That is the real difference, not the trades.

Writing it down publicly doesn't change the fact that you would have made those trades exactly the same way if you didn't.

Perhaps you are referring to reputation. That is the real difference, not the trades.

It's actually not about reputation for most people. It is baffling to me why you keep going on about how pointless the journals are. You are free to not have a journal and just not complain about them. If it is about reputation then you must be here for the same purpose.

If people keep talking about the same things over and over again either bring up new topics or don't complain about it.

I do not need to portray you as a pretentious person you were doing that for yourself well enough. Saying that you don't believe you can learn something from anyone else is rather pretentious. If you think your words have been taken out of context maybe you should take care to make sure they stay in context.

Exactly where did I say that I didn't believe I can learn something new from someone? Assumption seems to be regurgitated regularly. I also haven't complained about it, I mentioned it once and you have been hanging onto it since. If it wasn't a big deal then don't reply and move on.

You're right about going on about this total waste of time.

No , some trading habits will certainly change if trades were made publicly .

As expected just another argument .

Exactly where did I say that I didn't believe I can learn something new from someone? Assumption seems to be regurgitated regularly. I also haven't complained about it, I mentioned it once and you have been hanging onto it since. If it wasn't a big deal then don't reply and move on.

You're right about going on about this total waste of time.

How about here.

For me at least I never found value in others ideas.

Why don't you refer to the full context surrounding that sentence instead of cherry picking a line that suits your opinion. Since you are referring to a specific example. Finding value in something means finding something useful. Learning new things has NOTHING to do with the value in something. So instead of pretending to be intelligent and pointing to an incorrect reference of a statement, why don't you go back to school.

Please do try refer to another example or try assume pigs can fly from trees that walk. Don't expect a reply because I am done with you.