2 Best Books for Technical & Fundamental Analysis

Nicholass

Would you please recommend 2 books for both Technical and Fundamental Analysis.

I have read a few posts, and I gather
Technical Analysis of the Financial Markets ( J Murphy )
is one of the books for Technical Analysis, but if you could pick 1 other (if you agree with that) and 2 for fundamental analysis I'd appreciate it.

Many thanks.

Nick,

For fundamental analysis: Brealey and Myers, Principles of Corporate Finance. A brilliant book written with wit and clarity. I doubt you'll need another book - at 1,100 pages its equal to two or three books.

Grant.

Nick,

For fundamental analysis: Brealey and Myers, Principles of Corporate Finance. A brilliant book written with wit and clarity. I doubt you'll need another book - at 1,100 pages its equal to two or three books.

Grant.

Agreed.

Although it would take your quota up to 3, "The secrets of economic indicators" by Baumohl on Wharton is an excellent aide for understanding and interpreting macro fundamentals, often overlooked IMO.

Mr Gecko,

I recommended Brealey and Myers in another post; you also agrred with me there. Are we getting fckin' boring in our old ages?

Re Baumhol, I'm afraid I disagree. I bought this book and consider it garbage in that it reveals little.
If you would like a copy, Nick I'll sell you mine.

Consider these as better alternatives:

Amazon.co.uk: Using Economic Indicators to Improve Investment Analysis (Wiley Finance): Evelina M. Tainer: Books
Amazon.co.uk: Handbook of Investment Research: Economic and Financial Indicators as Market Movers: Conrad Mattern: Books
Amazon.co.uk: The Trader's Guide to Key Economic Indicators: Richard Yamarone: Books

Grant.

Nick, while it is true that Grant and I agree on B+M (amongst others), bear in mind that he claims The Art of War, by Sun Tzu, is "the worst book i have ever read", and that Jilly Cooper is read by woman's hour listeners on shooting sticks (citation).

I haven't read the books he mentions, I only bought Baumohl because it was better than the Economist equivalent in Foyles. Nonetheless, a worthy addition to any trading library is a book on the calculation and interpretation of economic indicators. It is one thing to be aware of Non-Farms, another to understand it.

Mr Gecko,

"better than the Economist equivalent". I agree with that. Strange, but all books written by The Economist are basically sh1t. Maybe they should get Jilly Cooper to write for them.

Grant.

Technical Analysis of the Financial Markets ( J Murphy )
is one of the books for Technical Analysis, but if you could pick 1 other I'd appreciate it.

yep, Murphy is the "BIBLE"

but another good TA book is The Compleat Trader by Jake Bernstein
Vol 1, ISBN 007-009251-6
Vol 2, 007-094501-2

If chart patterns alone are your "bag", try Thomas Bulkowski, Encyclopedia of Chart Patterns, ISBN 978-04766826

My absolute favourite trading book of all, but not sure if it;s what you're looking for, is John F Carter's Mastering The Trade, ISBN 007-145958-8
I can't recommend it highly enough. If you only read ONE book in your life, make it Carter's.

good luck hope it helps

I'm not familiar with Murphy's book above but his Technical Analysis of the Futures Markets is brilliant (although seems difficult to get hold of). Therefore, I support RC's recommendation (and I don't use TA).

RC,

"If you only read ONE book in your life, make it Carter's". No, Gibbon's Decline and Fall of the Roman Empire (abridged version but unabridged would be better). What say you, Mr Gecko?

Grant.

I don't use indicators; with that in mind, for TA I recommend any Candlestick book by Steve Nison (not sure there's much to choose between them) and "trade chart patterns like the pro's" by Suri Duddella. Both are excellent.

However, if one is to read only one book, I suggest the Bible. Probably one, if not the, most influential books in history (if your unfamiliar, it's like Harry Potter with a sad ending). Or maybe Being and Nothingness, 'cos you'll never bloody finish it.

Grant,

Bad faith (good pun).

A genre of books that hasn't been mentioned are Quant books, and along with Fundamental and Technical, complete the three major schools of thought.

My two Quant books are:

Econometric Models and Economic Forecasts, Pindyck and Rubenfeld.

Quantitative Finance, Paul Wilmott.

'Trading in the Zone' By Mark Douglas. Helps you understand the 'mind' element behind trading, learning to know yourself and the common trading mistakes. I think everyone should read this book before even thinking of entering a live trade!

Last edited:
"If you only read ONE book in your life, make it Carter's". No, Gibbon's Decline and Fall of the Roman Empire (abridged version but unabridged would be better).

Grant, I'll never be an intalektool like you, but I've just started "the Wealth of Nations" by Adam Smith.
Amazing how powerfully it still resonates today despite being published in 1776 !!

Last edited:
However, if one is to read only one book, I suggest the Bible. Probably one, if not the, most influential books in history (if your unfamiliar, it's like Harry Potter with a sad ending). Or maybe Being and Nothingness, 'cos you'll never bloody finish it.

Just seems to be a big rip off of the Life of Brian.
I mean even the main character, this Jesus Christ bloke, he's got the same initials as Our Lord John Cleese !!

I'm not familiar with Murphy's book above but his Technical Analysis of the Futures Markets is brilliant (although seems difficult to get hold of). Therefore, I support RC's recommendation (and I don't use TA).

RC,

"If you only read ONE book in your life, make it Carter's". No, Gibbon's Decline and Fall of the Roman Empire (abridged version but unabridged would be better). What say you, Mr Gecko?

Grant.
is